Calf to beef

Mostly tillage here but we have always had stock, changed from sucklers to buying 60 or so FR bull calves 8 years ago. I'm not really that into stock but as others have said if you could split your buying between autumn/spring that would be ideal, that's what we did up until last year, we bought the calves off two local lads who both got out of winter milk so now it's all spring calves. The autumn calves were always a bit better than spring, it split the work of rearing, better mix of cattle grazing, they were good to graze ground in the spring as they had an appetite and were light and it helped with cash flow going to the factory at different times of year. Now we are all spring it has changed grass demand, more younger grass needed, more silage required and end up taking out more strong paddocks. We strip graze everything, it's more work but the big lads clean out paddocks better and the calves don't be bawling as they are getting fresh grass every day. We finish everything as others said you are kind of married to a FR, once quality goes out of grass in September they are given access to the shed and silage then moved on to a ration and beet to finish. They have left a few pound after themselves, tried a few Angus this spring and I don't know if I'll buy again, you are getting later calves into April, just pushes the work out and they don't look that impressive going into the winter for the extra money. We pen in 6's so I might try pick up 18 autumn calves if I find a few this year and go back to a mix of autumn/spring again

Small suckler herd here, but seriously considering changing to a calf rearing enterprise. I work full time off farm, and tillage is the main enterprise on farm, but I do like cattle, and also would like to keep some as I think it’s great for the kids to get some stockman skills as well.
Main reason for change would be workload, or more specifically the timing of the work. A cow can calve anytime day or night which isn’t ideal with an off farm job, and A.I. is also quite a tie. I don’t think the workload of calf rearing would be too bad as would be done at a regular time each day. The stock would also be safer to work with for the young lads. In my own head I would be selling as stores.
Another option I’d consider would be contract rearing.
Are any of you here buying calves and rearing them. Firstly, is there a few quid in it. What type of calf seems to work best, and at what stage are you selling them? Would only be a small enterprise here, buying 20 to 30 calves a year
We buy in 60/80 calves every march/April. All Come from dairy heards. We aim for white heads, AA and Lim cross. We stay away from freisan. The way we work it is feed them the milk replacer for 4 weeks and out to grass then. They get 1kg meal a day until first of June and then just all grass. When wintering they are back on 1kg nuts for the winter inside. We get rid of our bullocks in the mart the following June and finish the heifers. Last batch of heifers went yesterday. Seems to work for us anyway. Work full time off farm also

We buy in 60/80 calves every march/April. All Come from dairy heards. We aim for white heads, AA and Lim cross. We stay away from freisan. The way we work it is feed them the milk replacer for 4 weeks and out to grass then. They get 1kg meal a day until first of June and then just all grass. When wintering they are back on 1kg nuts for the winter inside. We get rid of our bullocks in the mart the following June and finish the heifers. Last batch of heifers went yesterday. Seems to work for us anyway. Work full time off farm also
Are you buying strong calves more than a month old to get away with 4 weeks milk?
I saw results of a teagasc trial on feeding milk at half or one kg per day and the end result at slaughter was no different.
I am contract rearing,the farmer buys the powder and they are being told feed as much as possible!

The problem might be the ones getting the small amounts might be more likely to die.
Are you buying strong calves more than a month old to get away with 4 weeks milk?
I saw results of a teagasc trial on feeding milk at half or one kg per day and the end result at slaughter was no different.
I am contract rearing,the farmer buys the powder and they are being told feed as much as possible

I am contract rearing,the farmer buys the powder and they are being told feed as much as possible!
The majority yes would be at least a month. The odd few are three weeks just depending on calving. We bring them straight in on milk for the 4 weeks some less so and they are on the kalf pride ad lib and straw for the stomach. We batch them on size in groups of ten so none are getting less.

Rearing all calves born on the farm, I have tried it several ways . Not great for weighing but weighed some last week for this Beep scheme, got local icbf weighing man in to do it .

20211029_095106.jpg
Nearly all Friesan, maybe 2 blacks. All February born ,mean date of birth around 20th Feb.
So based on I have nearly all the 2020 born ones sold, no nuts fed since the went to grass this spring.

20211029_095628.jpg

That's realistic good average performance..7 over 12 mths is a good aim without spending too much on meal.
Too often farmers forget about the bottom third that pull averages back

Rearing all calves born on the farm, I have tried it several ways . Not great for weighing but weighed some last week for this Beep scheme, got local icbf weighing man in to do it .

View attachment 99211
Nearly all Friesan, maybe 2 blacks. All February born ,mean date of birth around 20th Feb.
So based on I have nearly all the 2020 born ones sold, no nuts fed since the went to grass this spring.

View attachment 99213
I weighed mine today. 16 calves. Mainly blues with 1 friesan and 5 limousines. February born.
Very disappointed with weights today. Averaged 241 kilo today. Been getting 2kg of meal each since September. Weanling boost and some rolled barley.
You did great getting that weight with no meal. Any tips 😢

I see milk replacer has gone crazy. Golden maverick €60 a bag and going up again I’m told 🤷🏻‍♂️
I got actus champion for €48. When that’s gone up roughly a tenner in a year 🙄

We used auctus last 2 years ,the dearer version.i don't know much about it,it worked anyway.
Local large dairy man tells me they are getting much better performance from grennans own brand milk replacer and have done rough on farm trials to prove it.
Also claims othe farmers with similar experiences.
Any thoughts?

I used the gain easy mix from glanbia for my couple. Dear but went very well and kept a great shine on the calves

Back