Calving dates

What is the optiom calving date for a spring calving dairy herd ?
On dry land if you could have the bulk calves by the 3rd week of Feb? There is a couple of weeks when you might only get them out a couple of days but worth it to have a good March cheque.

90% of the herd calves in the first 6 weeks is what the top lads are achieving. At about 75% here. Start calving last week of January and would have the bulk out of the way by the end of February. Always have a few stragglers from March till mid to late April.

Alot can depend on the land and set up. . Dry land or wet. Enough calving pens and calf houses. Pressure was on us this year for 3 weeks regarding space but we managed. We have a mix soil type here so try to have start calving sound 3 week of jan. Had 3 quarters of them calved by the 24th of Feb. March got the rest of them. Have 2 left to go next week will get them. The boost for early calving can be seen in milk cheque. If you are planning on calving early you'd want to be start ai next week.

Ya on heavy ground here alot of the time turn out date is 17th of March. As for calf pins and housing no problem .
We usually start around the middle of January but its problem too early really ..
The 6 week calving is a good job alrite I suppose but tis heavy going .

Ya on heavy ground here alot of the time turn out date is 17th of March. As for calf pins and housing no problem .
We usually start around the middle of January but its problem too early really ..
The 6 week calving is a good job alrite I suppose but tis heavy going .
What your calving pattern at the moment. Dont panic about 6 weeks calving maybe aim to be under 10weeks and get better as you go and find your feet. 6 weeks is heavy going, it could put a strain on things and of one thing goes wrong it all goes tits up. You won't get cows to calf that quick if you are spread out at the moment either way it will take abit of time. Having that bit quicker doh pays off. Forget about the work you will still do the same amount only be more condensed. At least come mid April all is done cows are bulling and you can focus on getting them in calf again. Just don't hang yourself up on having them done at 6weekz

Calving pattern at the moment is not thst bad we start around the 20th of January and have the bulk of them calved by end of March.

Calving pattern at the moment is not thst bad we start around the 20th of January and have the bulk of them calved by end of March.
Have you many left now or are you done? That not bad going lad. If you have some left now these are the problem girls and will always be late on you

5 left, I know ya ! Do most of ye employ extra help in for the calving or how do ye work it ? I haven't had an hour of since the middle of January and I dunno about any 1 else but I am bate !

5 left, I know ya ! Do most of ye employ extra help in for the calving or how do ye work it ? I haven't had an hour of since the middle of January and I dunno about any 1 else but I am bate !
If it was me and I am abit different as I have liquid contract I would leave them milk on through and pull them in and ai for the winter. Tbh you are doing very well. A week or two off your calving pattern is alot. We have a guy here full time for 4days a week plus dad and me. We are starting to take days off now again. You need the extra hands about. There was a few days here that turned into all nights aswell and the next day can be a struggle. Maybe try get a relief miller in for a evening milking or something and take off for a half day and push your ould man to do the same

All depends on how many cows you have theres 2 of us here full time with 120 cows and keep all the calves and cattle. Had over 300 head of stock in the yard in March and it was hectic. At times we could do with another hand for 6 weeks or that during calving then at other times there wouldn't be work for 3 people on the farm.

I started calving this year on the 6th of Feb. Gave me time to sort out all loose ends in January. Spreading slurry, dung getting sheds ready etc. Have 3 left to calve but probably wont be keeping them as i am over stocked. I am happy with 6th Feb. Dont like having to feed too much meal indoors post calving. Trying to balance having 70-80% calved on turn out to grass in early March.

Many after starting A.ing and how do ye find things are going ?
Ya started on the 13th there about 75 ai between heifers and cows so tipping along nicely. They all seem to be bulling strong and have good heats. Going to esturmate the rest of the heifers on sat do 3 at a time and try have them gone back to the out farm on wed

Trying a new approach this year. So heifers, as last year, have cidrs in, for 10 days, all AI'd in 24 hrs, 2 bulls being let out after 3 days, repeats AI as seen at 21 days, removed from bulls and put back in after 3 days. Breeding start date 1st May. Cows, 2nd lactation onwards, are being AI'd to limousin from 25th April. These cows will probably go 5 days over due date so same calving date as cows AI'd on 1st May. Doing this gives a number of my cows 2 chances of calving in the first 3 weeks of calving 2021.

Trying a new approach this year. So heifers, as last year, have cidrs in, for 10 days, all AI'd in 24 hrs, 2 bulls being let out after 3 days, repeats AI as seen at 21 days, removed from bulls and put back in after 3 days. Breeding start date 1st May. Cows, 2nd lactation onwards, are being AI'd to limousin from 25th April. These cows will probably go 5 days over due date so same calving date as cows AI'd on 1st May. Doing this gives a number of my cows 2 chances of calving in the first 3 weeks of calving 2021.

2 bulls being let out after 3 days.........Teaser bulls?

Who does the CIDRS for you?

Back