Camera dropping off randomly

aidank

Ip camera going offline randomly, sometimes work for weeks then drops 3 times for 10min intervals in an hour. Hikvision sends a notification when it happens, and then another when back online.

It's transmitting via 2 ubiquiti wifi transmitter 100m to the router from yard to house. No trees in the way and v good signal. Then router puts it on internet.

I suspect either bad cable or bad connection.

Is there a way I can log the IP address of router, house ubiquiti transmitter, yard ubiquiti transmitter and camera and see where the breakdown is occurring.

It's the whole lot goes down can't see it over the ethernet so I think it's a connection problem rather than a software setup problem

Last edited:
What I would do is buy a wifi plug and plug one into the shed where the camera is, when camera goes down you can log into wifi plug app, if plug is offline you will know that it is an internet issue and not a camera issue.

What I would do is buy a wifi plug and plug one into the shed where the camera is, when camera goes down you can log into wifi plug app, if plug is offline you will know that it is an internet issue and not a camera issue.

I can connect to transmitter in shed if transmitter in house is running.

I can connect to camera if transmitter in shed and house is running

Can do both of the above via typing in their ip address into browser.

Was hoping to be able to log all ip address and see what is dropping down.

Similar idea to what you have described

It's an issue in my network rather than internet, as I use camera via ethernet rather than internet on home network and when problem appears it's gone from ethernet even though can still surf the web

I can connect to transmitter in shed if transmitter in house is running.

I can connect to camera if transmitter in shed and house is running

Can do both of the above via typing in their ip address into browser.

Was hoping to be able to log all ip address and see what is dropping down.

Similar idea to what you have described
Most of the routers should have a page listing attached devices. Sounds like you possibly have an ip address conflict with something

Mobile app named fing can scan your entire subnet and tell you what devices are live and their current IP's.
There is a PC version too which can alert you when devices join/leave network (Some features may require the paid version, but you could probably get the free trial)

should DHCP be enabled on router
Generally yes (unless you have another device acting as DHCP server), it's needed to assign IP addresses automatically otherwise you need to manually setup every device connected.

You can only have one DHCP server per network.

Mobile app named fing can scan your entire subnet and tell you what devices are live and their current IP's.
There is a PC version too which can alert you when devices join/leave network (Some features may require the paid version, but you could probably get the free trial)
I’ve a 4g tp link router and the internet has stopped working maybe 3 times in the last couple of weeks. I reset the router the first time it happened and it still happened again. If I turn it off and on again it will start working. Would this fing thing be able to give me an alert to say the internet was down so I could just text a gsm switch to turn the router off and on again?

Not by itself anyway, you are unlikely to be able to ping a 4G router / camera setup due to CGNAT
You'd need something running on that network pinging out to a fixed address, unless you can setup a VPN, but that would need some extra hardware and /or software both at the remote site and connected to your home broadband (And no CGNAT on home broadband).

You could set-up Home Assistant (or Node-Red) at the remote location and have it monitor the internet connection by pinging a google server periodically and have it automatically reboot the router with a WiFi switch or directly connected relay. I mentioned Node-Red as it could run on a Raspberry Pi Zero W which is the cheapest/lowest power option @ about €15 delivered. There would be a bit of faffing about to get it working though, it would take a little Linux knowledge and/or learning.

Same could probably be achieved with just Linux Cron (it's in-built scheduler) and some shell scripts if you are nerdy enough - I had a similar solution in the past for a 3G dongle but I just scheduled restarts rather than checking for a connection - https://farmer-eds-shed.com/resolvi...rry-pi-zero-and-huawei-hilink-3g-dongle-24-7/ checking for a connection wouldn't add much more complexity. 🤓

Back