Canary Grass

Finished roguing the bloody stuff tonight, have a 60ft stretch very bad in a four acre field. All the rest of the land is practically non existent. Seems to be some secondary growth in it too.:thumbdown:

Finished roguing the bloody stuff tonight, have a 60ft stretch very bad in a four acre field. All the rest of the land is practically non existent. Seems to be some secondary growth in it too.:thumbdown:

Yea we have two patchs in two separate fields. I have put over 8 hours into picking so far and my father has about the same clocked up. Another few hours should finish it. Notice some smaller ones in it. I try get them all

doing a bit of stubble cultivation after the winter barley.

aim is to germinate as many barley volunteers, canary grass seeds and wild oats as possible. The land is destined for WOSR which doesn't give much time for these things to germinate by themselves.

Just cultivating to about 2", enough to create soil contact but hopefully not bury the seeds too much.

Wont be ploughed for 3 weeks so a weed flush should be possible.

A half days rain would set it off a treat.

Well, the discing is done two weeks now so thought id have a look today. Have had plenty of moisture on it for the past week.

Plenty of barley volunteers growing but not a single Canary grass plant to be found even where I know there was a really bad patch.

Ill keep an eye on it over the next two weeks before it is ploughed for wosr.

Hope it doesn't have a long dormancy as this will make it harder to get rid of......

Well, the discing is done two weeks now so thought id have a look today. Have had plenty of moisture on it for the past week.

Plenty of barley volunteers growing but not a single Canary grass plant to be found even where I know there was a really bad patch.

Hope it doesn't have a long dormancy as this will make it harder to get rid of......

Is it a slow germinating plant or how early does it start in the barley.

Does round up kill it?

Is it a slow germinating plant or how early does it start in the barley.

Does round up kill it?

Usually comes up with the crop as far as i can see. Maybe its not ready to germinate yet (dormant).

Yes roundup kills it.

That's annoying. Do you really think you would break its dormancy much by grubbing now and then spraying off and ploughing?

That's annoying. Do you really think you would break its dormancy much by grubbing now and then spraying off and ploughing?

Was hoping to. However, none of the old seeds which shouldn't have a dormancy issue haven't germinated yet so perhaps it just needs a little longer.

Things might look different in a week.

I have yr location set for home and they are not giving much, sky news giving a handy bit so that's why I go by, anyway best try cut a bit today anyway and see how far the day lasts

The sky opened here yesterday but we were still able to do a bit of stubble cultivation . Unlikely we will be able to cut anything today .

The sky opened here yesterday but we were still able to do a bit of stubble cultivation . Unlikely we will be able to cut anything today .

Did you get the field of wheat across the road cut yet? Combine and trailers been parked there a good while now.

Cut it and it yielded well all dried and the field tilled . Everyone thought the combine was broke down but the moisture was 24 so we waited till it fell to 20 the last of it was 18 . We cut a load out of the field below the road

Cut it and it yielded well all dried and the field tilled . Everyone thought the combine was broke down but the moisture was 24 so we waited till it fell to 20 the last of it was 18 . We cut a load out of the field below the road

I taught the same when I seen the side panel left up. Ah good job so.
That big body on the back of the fendt is some yoke.

Well,

3 weeks after the stubble was cultivated, the Canary grass is germinating.

The first week was very dry so in reality, only the last 2 weeks have been suitable for germination.

Please see a few pics of the weed. Seed sitting on the soil, germinating plants, adult plants and the cultivated stubble being ploughed down (headlands were sprayed with glyphosate).

Attachments

• WP_20140816_011.jpg
    WP_20140816_011.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 69
  • WP_20140816_002.jpg
    WP_20140816_002.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 60
  • WP_20140816_005.jpg
    WP_20140816_005.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 56
  • WP_20140816_006.jpg
    WP_20140816_006.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 55
  • WP_20140816_007.jpg
    WP_20140816_007.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 54
  • WP_20140816_008.jpg
    WP_20140816_008.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 55
  • WP_20140816_009.jpg
    WP_20140816_009.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 52
Well,

3 weeks after the stubble was cultivated, the Canary grass is germinating.

The first week was very dry so in reality, only the last 2 weeks have been suitable for germination.

Please see a few pics of the weed. Seed sitting on the soil, germinating plants, adult plants and the cultivated stubble being ploughed down (headlands were sprayed with glyphosate).

What would you recommend for say spring barley into spring barley again next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would you recommend for say spring barley into spring barley again next year?

Bearing in mind green cover requirements, I would do a shallow cultivation in very early September. This should get some seeds (those which don't remain dormant) growing so they can be killed of with glyphosate once the green cover period ends.

If you know that you have canary grass in a field, I would also spray the following spring barley with no less than 0.4L/Ha of Axial next spring.

Don't give it a chance.

Bearing in mind green cover requirements, I would do a shallow cultivation in very early September. This should get some seeds (those which don't remain dormant) growing so they can be killed of with glyphosate once the green cover period ends.

If you know that you have canary grass in a field, I would also spray the following spring barley with no less than 0.4L/Ha of Axial next spring.

Don't give it a chance.

Bearing all that in mind, is there any crop that out competes it?

Only reason I ask is, green cover will probably be going in here in about 20 days time.

Bearing all that in mind, is there any crop that out competes it?

Only reason I ask is, green cover will probably be going in here in about 20 days time.

Nothing that I know of, perhaps a pine forest.

It will grow 7 foot and pop its head out over oilseed rape....

Don't give it a chance.

Back to this again. Want it under control this year as I don't want to spend days picking it. When do you reckon I should go on with the axial? I was looking at an area of one field today where it was very bad last year and there is definitely some sort of grass growing
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431033056.668195.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431033079.294785.jpg

Out picking wild oats today and came across this about 2 ac in the middle of the field. Can't figure out where it came from. Fields are walked every year and using our own combine. Probably the most annoying thing is apart from after oats we don't need axial 3 wild oats in this field. So spent the evening pulling the buggers

Attachments

• DSC_0451.JPG
    DSC_0451.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_0450.JPG
    DSC_0450.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 53
Got a lash of it ourselves this year in about 3 rows looks like it was in the row right up to the headland run same with the wild oats I wonder did it come in with the seed

Back