Cap 2023-2027

You would imagine that anyone farming intensively is going to forego that 25%. I wonder how unclaimed money will be divided out, I suppose it's unlikley to be added on to anyone's payment that qualifies for the 25% eco part.

You would imagine that anyone farming intensively is going to forego that 25%. I wonder how unclaimed money will be divided out, I suppose it's unlikley to be added on to anyone's payment that qualifies for the 25% eco part.
In many ways, it's convergence by the back door. All pay into it, high and low entitlements, and all qualifying will withdraw equally from it.

The money from those not drawing it down is supposed to be divided equally among the qualifying farmers but whether that's in the qualifying year or the one after or it will be siphoned off into a new scheme is unclear as yet.

Claire Byrne is adamant to get the national herd cut and we here are only a grain of sand in the bigger scheme of things!
400 private jets flew in our world leaders to cop 26 and big diesel generators were brought in to the charge their electric cars...

I think the planting the few trees option and GPS fertiliser spreading will be the popular options, those look like the ones I would go for myself anyways, even an intensive dairy farmers would benefit from the GPS fertiliser spreading and I think a certain proportion of trees to replace those that fall over time is not a bad thing in ditches from a shelter perspective if nothing else.

I think the planting the few trees option and GPS fertiliser spreading will be the popular options, those look like the ones I would go for myself anyways, even an intensive dairy farmers would benefit from the GPS fertiliser spreading and I think a certain proportion of trees to replace those that fall over time is not a bad thing in ditches from a shelter perspective if nothing else.
GPS system will look well on a quad in early spring so šŸ˜Š

Green party solution to the climate crisis.
Firstly buy many new diesel cars from Germany and use 5L of diesel growing 4L of OSR biodiesel. Then buy new windmills from Germany and cause landslides putting them on peat mountains.
Green party solution to climate crisis mark 11. Ban all the old diesel cars then you get them to buy new electric cars from Japan, US and France. Destroy the forestry industry so no new planting will take place and make the Native Woodland scheme unworkable so everyone has to leave it. Blame farming for everything and tell farmers that more new concrete, metal, machinery and technology will solve everything.

Last edited:
I assume there will have to be an approved list of GPS systems? Or is this for high end GPS guided fertilizer spreaders only?

I assume there will have to be an approved list of GPS systems? Or is this for high end GPS guided fertilizer spreaders only?
Some of the articles in the media this week suggest that it will be the high end GPS spreaders only, but I don't think there has been enough information released yet to say for sure

Personally I can't see why the vast majority of farmers will not be able to access the 25% top up.

Hedgerows will be counted as non productive areas.

Maintaining stocking rates will be achievable for most too - most have been farming pretty intensively in recent years.

Planting a few trees per hectare - well who among us wouldn't be able to find a few corners to put in a few trees?

Nitrates? Its coming regardless of fertilizer prices. High nitrates are a problem and we can either take the issue on ourselves or be forced to take it on in the coming years.

GPS
I hope they allow it to be just a simple GPS guidance system - lt would be beneficial for any of us that spray or spread.

Edit

Only 2 of the 5 have to be chosen. We don't have to choose measures that will limit productivity.

Last edited:
Some of the articles in the media this week suggest that it will be the high end GPS spreaders only, but I don't think there has been enough information released yet to say for sure
Is this that the gps controls the spreader or that the tractor has gps for guidance?, it would take many years of 25% of my payment to pay for a 25k + spreader!, I see this as a cut in payments, you either have to spend more money on not needed machines or reduce our crop area (and hence profit) to get the same farm payment, bs of the highest order.

Personally I can't see why the vast majority of farmers will not be able to access the 25% top up.

Hedgerows will be counted as non productive areas.

Maintaining stocking rates will be achievable for most too - most have been farming pretty intensively in recent years.

Planting a few trees per hectare - well who among us wouldn't be able to find a few corners to put in a few trees?

Nitrates? Its coming regardless of fertilizer prices. High nitrates are a problem and we can either take the issue on ourselves or be forced to take it on in the coming years.

GPS
I hope they allow it to be just a simple GPS guidance system - lt would be beneficial for any of us that spray or spread.
Probably not the best place to plant trees seeing as most livestock farmers will need to be accessing there to put down corner stakes at some point in the future?

Probably not the best place to plant trees seeing as most livestock farmers will need to be accessing there to put down corner stakes at some point in the future?
I'd say you'll have to put the fence outside the trees for to protect them from livestock.

I see they have extended the measures for claiming the 25% eco scheme in cap and added a few more measures:

new measures include:

Soil sampling and liming
break crops
Multi-species swards

They have also allowed that 10% of your land as a non productive area will count as 2 measures. A double up of the amount of trees planted per year will count as 2 measures.

They have also confirmed that hedge planting will be allowed instead of tree planting. target is 1m / ha per year, but if a farmer plants 2m /ha per year then it will account for his 2 measures to get the 25% top up.

At this stage, there can't be many farmers in the country that won't be able to get the 25% top up with very little extra to do.

I wonder what's the specification for non productive land?just close the gate?
Can you ever graze it?
Can it be in small bits of corners etc?
It would have to have been claimed on your area aid I presume.
Apparently bog may not count

I wonder what's the specification for non productive land?just close the gate?
Can you ever graze it?
Can it be in small bits of corners etc?
It would have to have been claimed on your area aid I presume.
Apparently bog may not count
I don't have answers to all that.
All that I have read is that land that was previously removed from area aid applications because of scrub can now be claimed on. I'd imagine that whatever land you want to claim on will have to have been identified on your maps up to now, you may not have been claiming for it because it was covered in scrub or you may not have already been leaving it aside as non productive land for wildlife or Carbon storage. But it will have to have been already on your maps. I can't see how they can penalise you if you are already doing what they want you to do.
I have also read that all hedgerows will be measured and counted as non productive land.

At this stage, there can't be many farmers in the country that won't be able to get the 25% top up with very little extra to do
Just have to spend more money to get it, than the last round. So in reality, its a loss of income

They obviously became frightening of enough farmers telling them,.when touring the country, that they wouldn't bother claiming the BPS

Just have to spend more money to get it, than the last round. So in reality, its a loss of income

They obviously became frightening of enough farmers telling them,.when touring the country, that they wouldn't bother claiming the BPS

The soil sampling and lime option will bring more benefit than cost.

Multi-species should bring more benefit than cost too.

The soil sampling and lime option will bring more benefit than cost.

Multi-species should bring more benefit than cost too.
I have seen many spend needless money on soil samples that returned no benefit. I actually cost myself allot of money apply needless nutrients following soil samples.

Similar on the Multi-species swards, the costs are high and for me there has been no reward

I have seen many spend needless money on soil samples that returned no benefit. I actually cost myself allot of money apply needless nutrients following soil samples.

Similar on the Multi-species swards, the costs are high and for me there has been no reward
Can you expand on the soil sampling bit, or point me in the right direction for books or papers ect?

The action is soil sampling and liming - so the financial benefit for most will be in spreading lime.

Can you expand on the multi-species sward lack of reward? We are lead to believe that it's going to be the future of grazing in this country?

Back