Cars of old

The two characters with Ritchie were my neighbors. The cigarettes eventually got them. Their sister used live in my house.

I'm surprised that a man if your calibre has not appeared in one of his videos yet :Thumbp2:

No one else would think of sticking a traffic cone up on a 2CV.:laugh:

My brother once got 85 out of his 2cv going down a hill,I thought we were doomed,:scared:
4 of us stuffed into a right pile of shite mark ll fiesta years ago got 98 mph out of it down hill into the local village which was seriously brave as the car was basically made of rust at the time and the back axle bushings were gone so it tended to kind of wobble about.
We had a routine that every Saturday evening the 4 of us used meet up here and load into the fiesta and head to the nearest Mackers(McDonalds) for a feed of their finest before wandering into the next door off license for fuel and then the challenge was who could get the new high speed record out of the car on the way back. Mid 90's was a regular speed. The 98 run more or less finished the car. The engine started puking oil out and coolant was very hard to keep in it. By todays standards 98 is nothing but for a .996L engine in a shook car it was brave.

Neighbor had mark2fiesta van and used be doing that sort of crack, rolled it one coming home from pub, managed to drive it home. Another neighbor had a mark1 fiesta and used be racing joy joy riders on the north ring road in cork. He decided to buy the alloys off the lad who rolled his one a couple months previous. First night out with the new alloys on the way to cork he lost control at a bend went over a ditch, scraping a phone pole and landed up on a glasshouse! :clap:
The stuff we got away with not that long ago would have us arrested now. I should point out though that we never drank before our land speed record attempts. You wanted your marbles keeping that old car on the road.

4 of us stuffed into a right pile of shite mark ll fiesta years ago got 98 mph out of it down hill into the local village which was seriously brave as the car was basically made of rust at the time and the back axle bushings were gone so it tended to kind of wobble about.
We had a routine that every Saturday evening the 4 of us used meet up here and load into the fiesta and head to the nearest Mackers(McDonalds) for a feed of their finest before wandering into the next door off license for fuel and then the challenge was who could get the new high speed record out of the car on the way back. Mid 90's was a regular speed. The 98 run more or less finished the car. The engine started puking oil out and coolant was very hard to keep in it. By todays standards 98 is nothing but for a .996L engine in a shook car it was brave.
:lol::lol:
Used to have a 1985 1l metro
On the flat she could just about hold 85mph
On the way home 1 night down hill I kept her planted and fair play she got to 105:scared:
I'm surprised the pushrods didnt start firing out of the bonnet:blushing:

:lol::lol:
Used to have a 1985 1l metro
On the flat she could just about hold 85mph
On the way home 1 night down hill I kept her planted and fair play she got to 105:scared:
I'm surprised the pushrods didnt start firing out of the bonnet:blushing:
:laugh::laugh: todays youngsters won't know the craic we had out of old middling cars. A VW Lupo would do 85 or indeed 98 fairly easily now and without the pistons nearly hitting off the underside of the bonnet :laugh:

Fairly sure the 2cv was 602cc:ohmy:

One of my younger brothers cut his mk2 fiesta in half,other brother rolled his Renault and slid it down the road on its roof without a seat belt on he and his passenger were both concentrating on not dropping out the broken sunroof:ohmy: it’s the warning young lads need neither were hurt.

46B9A63C-E157-4B3E-8004-8DA2418E11C3.jpeg
Saturday night was never complete until I hit the 100 in this one

View attachment 82562 Saturday night was never complete until I hit the 100 in this one
85mph in 2nd gear. I haven't had a car since that could do that. The one here used average 18 mpg for me :eek3:. It did have carb problems although it was always a hard yoke on petrol anyway. I well remember as a child my late uncle filling it for a tenner. I think it was 35 euro for a fill when I withdrew her from active service in 2002. I must put a battery in the old lady and give her a spin up and down the avenue. It must 4 or 5 years since it last saw the light of day.

85mph in 2nd gear. I haven't had a car since that could do that. The one here used average 18 mpg for me :eek3:. It did have carb problems although it was always a hard yoke on petrol anyway. I well remember as a child my late uncle filling it for a tenner. I think it was 35 euro for a fill when I withdrew her from active service in 2002. I must put a battery in the old lady and give her a spin up and down the avenue. It must 4 or 5 years since it last saw the light of day.

I reckon it was 1982 that i got lift from you uncle and Kevin C in that car. He drove that car for a long time , having had it from new . They were always considered a thirsty car on petrol.

ours had carb problems too but a new weber carb solved them, the old one is here still and you can have it for a small fee :laugh:

I reckon it was 1982 that i got lift from you uncle and Kevin C in that car. He drove that car for a long time , having had it from new . They were always considered a thirsty car on petrol.
He drove it for 20 years before giving it to me in 2000. The 2 years I drove it were the hardest :whistle:. A lovely comfy old car.

Who'd have thought OMG would have become such a phrase...Jimmy Mc Rae in full flight..Ascona 400

Back