Cars

A friend of mine has one of those Avensis with the 2L diesel engine and it's right at the half a million miles. In all that all it's ever needed is a set of injectors. He is religious about servicing it.
The local taxi company have an Avensis and I'm sure it has at least that mileage on it. They previously had Jap imported Corollas and I was in one of them with well over 700k on it, probably kilometres though.

Last two cars were Nissan Quashqui 1.5 Diesel.Traded in the 2014 one with 215k KM on it and bought a Toyota CHR hybrid petrol and has been faultless for the first 195km . Not sure if it is the right car for us . I drive a Volvo v50 station wagon and it is very low for a farm car but is lovely on the motorway.

It depends on what your local independent mechanic is into if you are running older cars.

Almost 10 year old diesel Focus here with only 90k kms. Touch wood, a minor limp mode issue last year but other than that all good barring wear and tear.

Had a 2006 petrol Corolla before that which was a lovely car, I would rate it more comfortable than the Focus. But either would beat the 1999 Fiesta before that.

It is hard to believe that trade in a 10/11 year old car for a 3 year old car with low kms with a cheque for 10/12k could be done, you wouldn't get much today.

The local taxi company have an Avensis and I'm sure it has at least that mileage on it. They previously had Jap imported Corollas and I was in one of them with well over 700k on it, probably kilometres though.
They don't make them like they used to that's for sure. I find it comical almost when people praise their car for been fairly good at 200k km. In old money that's only a bit along with 120k miles and once upon a time a car was only ran in at those miles.

My brother has a Seat Exeo and it is heading for 500k miles. It broke down once and I had to give him a lift . New alternator and thermostat and some issue with a butterfly valve but nothing serious. Awful looking yoke . Interestingly if he was to change it the cost per year would be the same as mine if he got a scrappage deal on it . About €3.5K a year. But I had a new car at 200k Km.

They don't make them like they used to that's for sure. I find it comical almost when people praise their car for been fairly good at 200k km. In old money that's only a bit along with 120k miles and once upon a time a car was only ran in at those miles.
I only do 1800 miles/year it would take me a wee while to get to 120k:smile:

If your number one priority is reliability then Toyota has got to be at the top.

Skoda's are only more reliable than their stablemates because they put less in them to go wrong. But they're still Volkswagens at the end of the day, they'll rarely let you on the side of the road, but once the miles get up they always need bits. The bits are cheap but you still need em.

I say all this as a minor VW fanboy, but if reliability is the number 1, buy Toyota.

I wonder are the newer Toyotas say from 2020 up with the hybrid engines as reliable as their older stock, like the look of the new RAV4 but I’d be weary of the new 2.5 petrol/hybrid engine

The tech in the RAV4 specifically that 2.5 litre engine is the same as Lexus have been using for years, brother here is ex Toyota/Lexus mechanic and swears that Toyotas petrol hybrid tech is the best in the world for reliability and longevity, just look at how many old first gen Prius’ are still knocking about since they first came out in 1997

Last edited:
Thinking of changing the SUV here it does around 16,000 kilometers a year should I be looking at buying a petrol model ?

Parking sensor in the car is bad, tested it there now. Cars parking assistance is off completely, question is will a new sensor reset the system itself or will I need a diagnostic computer to do the job?

Parking sensor in the car is bad, tested it there now. Cars parking assistance is off completely, question is will a new sensor reset the system itself or will I need a diagnostic computer to do the job?
It might be just a case of plug in and play.

I have a 2011 hyundai hatchback and I must give it credit that it has never given me any bother with 180k miles with a lot of heavy towing and abuse

My wife drives a 2011 318d BMW estate. She commutes on some fairly poor roads.

270k miles on it at the moment. Timing chain did break a couple of years ago (thankfully the starter motor broke it so not big damage). It’s been fairly good to us, shocks etc but the usual wearing parts.

It was throwing up lots of faults lately but it turned out to be a rusty sensor on the drive shaft which fooled the traction control, easily fixed.

Not sure what to do next, probably drive it away until it becomes too unreliable. Anything fresh and equivalent is big money. It’s a very comfortable car.

Seems to be more new cars and jeeps around this year that previous years. Good few 231 and 232 reg around

Seems to be more new cars and jeeps around this year that previous years. Good few 231 and 232 reg around
And big expensive ones too, some amount of high end jeeps about, but Interestingly finance repossessions are climbing again month by month

Surly now in more straightened times, anyone buying a motor or machine has the payment capacity as opposed to those borrowers just borrowing & pay for it somehow.

Surly now in more straightened times, anyone buying a motor or machine has the payment capacity as opposed to those borrowers just borrowing & pay for it somehow.
Pcp allows people buy a big expensive car that they wouldn't normally have a snowball's chance at.
As someone who works in finance put it to me before. A good barometer of the economy is how many repossessions are happening. Low=good, lots not so good.

Pcp allows people buy a big expensive car that they wouldn't normally have a snowball's chance at.
As someone who works in finance put it to me before. A good barometer of the economy is how many repossessions are happening. Low=good, lots not so good.

Pcp does not allow people to "Buy " a big expensive car.

It allows them to drive one . They are essentially renting the car . They might eventually own it , after a few goes .

Back