Case 530 baler

Camerov

Anybody run/ran/know much about one of these? Found a 1999 model for sale with 40k bales on the clock. Only looking to do about 800 bales/year. Was originally looking at a round baler due not not many second hand 4 stringers being about but now this has come up for sale much cheaper than a round baler it’s got me thinking & tempted. What roughly would the weight difference be between a 4 stringer & say a 4ft round?

Thanks in advance :thumbup1:

Anybody run/ran/know much about one of these? Found a 1999 model for sale with 40k bales on the clock. Only looking to do about 800 bales/year. Was originally looking at a round baler due not not many second hand 4 stringers being about but now this has come up for sale much cheaper than a round baler it’s got me thinking & tempted. What roughly would the weight difference be between a 4 stringer & say a 4ft round?

My very limited experience with Big square balers is they can be a complex machine to get set right, especially when they get older. When they break down it can also cost mega money to get them right again. But they are a great machine to cover ground.

For that number of bales, id be going the route of the round baler. I understand round bales of straw are not very popular your side of the Irish sea, moreso here in Ireland. A round baler is by and large simpler and running costs would be lower too. Probably not as quick to clear ground but it wouldn't take too long to make 800 odd bales. Haulage will take a bit longer too like but wouldn't be bad

At the risk of being nosy, had you a budget in mind?

My very limited experience with Big square balers is they can be a complex machine to get set right, especially when they get older. When they break down it can also cost mega money to get them right again. But they are a great machine to cover ground.

For that number of bales, id be going the route of the round baler. I understand round bales of straw are not very popular your side of the Irish sea, moreso here in Ireland. A round baler is by and large simpler and running costs would be lower too. Probably not as quick to clear ground but it wouldn't take too long to make 800 odd bales. Haulage will take a bit longer too like but wouldn't be bad

I’d agree with Kieran, easier to maintain and simpler to run/fix, unless maybe you’ve run big square balers before or have somebody working with you that has, then I stick with a Mchale/lely

The round was my initial preference if I’m honest, but the square is more appealing with them taking up less room to stack etc. I was budgeting around £15k for a decent round baler however this square baler has come up at around £8k so a fair saving which means I could use the saving on something else - pros & cons for both I guess!

I’d agree with Kieran, easier to maintain and simpler to run/fix, unless maybe you’ve run big square balers before or have somebody working with you that has, then I stick with a Mchale/lely

I’ve had experience running Massey 2170’s but been off them for about 10 years now & they were brand new at the time so a lot more technical than this case one. If I end up going for a round baler it’d definitely be a Mchale due to dealer back up

I’ve had experience running Massey 2170’s but been off them for about 10 years now & they were brand new at the time so a lot more technical than this case one. If I end up going for a round baler it’d definitely be a Mchale due to dealer back up
Well that’s not so bad, your not going in blind to it, although when you go to sell again Mchale be worth a fair share still

I take it that's a mengele under the red panels, are parts going to be a problem? Knotters look the same as on the vicon here though, it says they're only a 60cm high bale so there would be more in a modern round bale. Personally i would go for something more main stream, a NH1010 maybe, i know most would have done a lot of work by now but might be more suitable and a 90cm high bale! Welger D4000? 70cm bale.

I suppose its the one Rob Hawker has?

I take it that's a mengele under the red panels, are parts going to be a problem? Knotters look the same as on the vicon here though, it says they're only a 60cm high bale so there would be more in a modern round bale. Personally i would go for something more main stream, a NH1010 maybe, i know most would have done a lot of work by now but might be more suitable and a 90cm high bale! Welger D4000? 70cm bale.

I suppose its the one Rob Hawker has?

Not got that far with regards to parts availability yet until I speak to our dealer tomorrow. Think your probably right in regards to a more main stream machine. I just thought it looked tidy for the age & money which got me thinking especially being cheaper than a round baler but cheap isn’t always best I appreciate. Yes that’s the exact one. If we went for a square it wouldn’t want to be a too big/heavy bale due to pushing/pulling it along on a trolley.

Not got that far with regards to parts availability yet until I speak to our dealer tomorrow. Think your probably right in regards to a more main stream machine. I just thought it looked tidy for the age & money which got me thinking especially being cheaper than a round baler but cheap isn’t always best I appreciate. Yes that’s the exact one. If we went for a square it wouldn’t want to be a too big/heavy bale due to pushing/pulling it along on a trolley.
A 90cm high would be a bit heavy perhaps on a trolley, a D4000 might be more suitable maybe, you do see them for less than £10k. There's a place not far from here that does horse haylage and that's done with a welger with the bale length shortened down, presume their put on trolleys at stables.

Trouble with that case is if you wanted to p/x it for something else in 12 months time it might be hard to move on with it being not a common model.

A 90cm high would be a bit heavy perhaps on a trolley, a D4000 might be more suitable maybe, you do see them for less than £10k. There's a place not far from here that does horse haylage and that's done with a welger with the bale length shortened down, presume their put on trolleys at stables.

Trouble with that case is if you wanted to p/x it for something else in 12 months time it might be hard to move on with it being not a common model.

Totally agree with you, turns out although they were a good machine at the time (according to my case dealer who sold them new) parts could be a bit of an issue in the future. In a strange turn of events it seems the farmer we’re looking at doing a muck for straw deal with wants us to do all his other baling as long as it’s a round baler so looks like round is going to be the way forward now.

That era of Case IH baler started out as a Fortschritt which was bought by Mengele, then Case IH and then went on to be sold under the McCormick banner before disappearing into the abyss.

That era of Case IH baler started out as a Fortschritt which was bought by Mengele, then Case IH and then went on to be sold under the McCormick banner before disappearing into the abyss.

They didn’t make the case ones for long did they? Don’t seem to see many of those around?

Back