Case 885xl won't start in cold weather

Ace engineering

Thanks for that. Can't seem to find a website for ac engineering. I see a few posts on the UK forum about them though

I'm here, ACEngineering or ACE is just my forum user name on other forums. AC are my initial's. Its what i intended to rename my business 15 years ago:rolleyes:

You need to follow the links normally at bottom of every post on most forums, (may not be visible links if using a phone to view forum site so use a PC or laptop) www.aandrhandling.co.uk

Have a 1986 Case 885xl. Will not start in cold weather.
Have tried the following:
Re-conditioned the starter
New heater plug
Checked all cables
Tried with new battery and still no joy.

Will start in summer but acts up every winter and have to jump start it.

Any thoughts?

Can do a decent starter motor for them BUT if your in ireland northern or southern I'm having issues shipping from uk main land to ireland like most other UK business are currently.

It may improve but i dont think i will be able to supply everything i used to to NI with the new Brexit rules. far too much red tape and confusion with customs in the Irish sea, At best you are all going to have to pay much higher carriage charges, for example FEDEx are charging nearly £5 extra fee for processing the customs declarations on top of the normal shipping charges.

I have several suppliers not shipping to NI, and a good supplier i use a lot in Belgium cant ship to NI now as they cant legally invoice me in mainland UK while shipping to my customer in NI, thats a big hit for me as its just not going to work shipping stuff to me in mainland UK only to forward it on. I just dont have the time to mess about like that!

Its still early days so hopefully things will work out or will find a way.

I dont think most of you lot in Ireland realise the hassle its looking like for a small UK business to ship something to NI now!

Can do a decent starter motor for them BUT if your in ireland northern or southern I'm having issues shipping from uk main land to ireland like most other UK business are currently.

It may improve but i dont think i will be able to supply everything i used to to NI with the new Brexit rules. far too much red tape and confusion with customs in the Irish sea, At best you are all going to have to pay much higher carriage charges, for example FEDEx are charging nearly £5 extra fee for processing the customs declarations on top of the normal shipping charges.

I have several suppliers not shipping to NI, and a good supplier i use a lot in Belgium cant ship to NI now as they cant legally invoice me in mainland UK while shipping to my customer in NI, thats a big hit for me as its just not going to work shipping stuff to me in mainland UK only to forward it on. I just dont have the time to mess about like that!

I dont think most of you lot in Ireland realise the hassle its looking like for a small UK business to ship something to NI now!

Not wishing to start a storm

But , The vast majority of " You Lot " - Us , realised very well exactly what hassle BREXIT would cause , for imports of things like your starter .

However , I dont think that the majority , Of Your Lot ,who voted for Brexit to happen , looked that far ahead.

Last edited:

But , The vast majority of " You Lot " - Us , realised very well exactly what hassle BREXIT would cause , for imports of things like your starter .

However , I dont think that the majority , who voted for Brexit to happen , looked that far ahead.
Could be a nice little sideline for you there, importing starters from Belgium :wink:

However , I dont think that the majority , Of Your Lot ,who voted for Brexit to happen , looked that far ahead.

I have a name and it doesn't have "You lot" in it!

I cant help how everyone else voted, whats done is done. I will manage to earn a living regardless if i ship to northern ireland or not but it would be a shame not to be able to continue suppling my customers over there.

My biggest problem is currently Manitou though, they suspended all shipping to UK on the 31st and there is no indication yet as to when they will start sending stuff, thank god my excellent supplier in Belgium was switched on and good to go straight away! other than they cant ship direct to northern ireland for me due to legal reasons but at least i can get stuff to and UK mainland address. (invoice address has to be in the same country as the delivery address, which i why i think manitou are having problems as they have no northern ireland office, manitou france currently invoice manitou UK then manitou UK invoice the UK dealers, but as manitou UK is in england they cant forward invoices to ireland or at least i dont think they can:hammer:)

So you see its rather more complicated than you first think, i knew it 4 years ago sadly the majority live in there own little bubble with little clue to how stuff gets from A to B, or should say A to C as there tons of stuff that goes from Business A straight to business C or even D! and middle man in B just shuffles some papers.

I cant help how everyone else voted, whats done is done. I will manage to earn a living regardless if i ship to northern ireland or not but it would be a shame not to be able to continue suppling my customers over there.

My biggest problem is currently Manitou though, they suspended all shipping to UK on the 31st and there is no indication yet as to when they will start sending stuff, thank god my excellent supplier in Belgium was switched on and good to go straight away! other than they cant ship direct to northern ireland for me due to legal reasons but at least i can get stuff to and UK mainland address. (invoice address has to be in the same country as the delivery address, which i why i think manitou are having problems as they have no northern ireland office, manitou france currently invoice manitou UK then manitou UK invoice the UK dealers, but as manitou UK is in england they cant forward invoices to ireland or at least i dont think they can:hammer:)

So you see its rather more complicated than you first think, i knew it 4 years ago sadly the majority live in there own little bubble with little clue to how stuff gets from A to B, or should say A to C as there tons of stuff that goes from Business A straight to business C or even D! and middle man in B just shuffles some papers.
Keep up the good work, we can't change circumstanses so we'll just have to work around them. I also have a large quantity of parts held up in transit for the last month due to brexit, covid, whatever else but it'll all work out in the end.

Sorry for causing offence @aandr. As you can see in the last paragraph above , it was you.who used the term " You Lot "

The hassle involved in transactions between the UK and here from the 1/1/2021 will result in you , the supplier , being not interested in the hassle , and the Irish buyer taking his business to a supplier in the eurozone .

Sorry for causing offence @aandr. As you can see in the last paragraph above , it was you.who used the term " You Lot "

The hassle involved in transactions between the UK and here from the 1/1/2021 will result in you , the supplier , being not interested in the hassle , and the Irish buyer taking his business to a supplier in the eurozone .

your right i did, but wasn't intended as an indication of the way you all voted, just that everyone i have spoken to in Ireland seems blissfully unaware of the hassle involved to get stuff over from UK.

I wrongly took your comment as an indication how the main land mostly voted to leave, which i see now wasn't want you meant so sorry for that.

And yes you are probably right it will be far easier for North and south to buy from EU than it will the UK, in the short term this will be difficult for you until you figure out which suppliers can get you what but in the long once you have sourced new EU suppliers you'll mostly be okay i expect.

its people like me that looks to be going to loose out longer term as we're now limited to just mainland UK unless your cleaver enough to do full export, which for the most part of what i sell just wouldn't be worth the time and effort unless it was a high value part or large order.

I'm still hoping all my suppliers will all find a way of shipping orders direct as they used to for me but that's looking like it isn't straight forward.

Back to the question in the OP, I just thought to give the 885 here a start on account of the cold weather. It turned and took a wee bit to fire, when it fired it then cut out, it done that 3 times before running. The thing is it hasn't been started in at least 3 months but there was no problem with the starter or battery.
I never have a problem with it starting regardless of weather unless the battery is banjaxed, no pre-heating just turn the key and away she goes.

@aandr it's a bugger that a small outfit like yours is having hassle over Brexit, plenty over this side having the same too especially with food products where they have the extras of health certs and certs of origin but give it a while for the dust to settle and I'm sure things will fall into place, remember it's only the first week yet and everyone is trying to find their feet.

Back to the question in the OP, I just thought to give the 885 here a start on account of the cold weather. It turned and took a wee bit to fire, when it fired it then cut out, it done that 3 times before running. The thing is it hasn't been started in at least 3 months but there was no problem with the starter or battery.
I never have a problem with it starting regardless of weather unless the battery is banjaxed, no pre-heating just turn the key and away she goes.

@aandr it's a bugger that a small outfit like yours is having hassle over Brexit, plenty over this side having the same too especially with food products where they have the extras of health certs and certs of origin but give it a while for the dust to settle and I'm sure things will fall into place, remember it's only the first week yet and everyone is trying to find their feet.

Vapormatic seem to be on the ball, there shipping an order over tomorrow for me and i have another order to give them tomorrow for NI, so thats good.

Back