CASE CVX 130 Starting issues problem solved

tom wicks

Well it took a while and even though I suffered a heart attack in the past month I still didnt let things beat me, The starting issue is solved, I spent some time and found that whilst cranking the voltage across the battery dropped to almost 8Volts, tried a different battery same issue, so I decided it might be a starter motor issue, well I can be pretty happy now as a new Starter cost $600 delivered, I installed it today and she starts straight up , you can hear how much faster the engine turns over, and my big red girl is all happy no more ether needed, happy camper at this end
Thanks for all the comments Cheers Tommy

Hi All and happy new Year , ok my 2008 Case CVX 130 has a bug in the system , it cranks over but will not start unless I use starter fluid , then it fires right up and runs great, but if I use it for a couple of hours and just shut it down for a coffee break , it wont start again until I use the starter fluid , it fires straight up and runs great again , its the only issue I have with the machine , when I got the machine the a couple of years back it was missing the engine computer , so we sourced one and had it all coded up , the tractor ran great for a while but has started with this bug the past 18 months or so
I have checked and bled everything I can find , have never run it out of fuel and like I mentioned it runs perfect once started
Any ideas I would be interested in hearing
replaced the battery , checked all connections, its even the same with a jump cable to boost it a bit so thought Id ask
thanks for reading in advance regards Tommy

Last edited:
Hi All and happy new Year , ok my 2008 Case CVX 130 has a bug in the system , it cranks over but will not start unless I use starter fluid , then it fires right up and runs great, but if I use it for a couple of hours and just shut it down for a coffee break , it wont start again until I use the starter fluid , it fires straight up and runs great again , its the only issue I have with the machine , when I got the machine the a couple of years back it was missing the engine computer , so we sourced one and had it all coded up , the tractor ran great for a while but has started with this bug the past 18 months or so
I have checked and bled everything I can find , have never run it out of fuel and like I mentioned it runs perfect once started
replaced the battery , checked all connections, its even the same with a jump cable to boost it a bit so thought Id ask
Sounds like a cracked or perished fuel line letting air in when stopped but not bad enough to leak fuel out. If it has an electric fuel pump then leave the ignition on for 20 secs before starting it and if it has a priming lever on the fuel lift pump give it about 20 pumps with ignition on too before you start it. Easystart will cause it to fire on the fumes and the slight increase in revs helps bleed out air.

Sounds like a cracked or perished fuel line letting air in when stopped but not bad enough to leak fuel out. If it has an electric fuel pump then leave the ignition on for 20 secs before starting it and if it has a priming lever on the fuel lift pump give it about 20 pumps with ignition on too before you start it. Easystart will cause it to fire on the fumes and the slight increase in revs helps bleed out air.
Is easy start meant to cause harm to engines or is that just a myth?

Common rail engine so possibly loosing pressure in the rail through a faulty non return valve

Is easy start meant to cause harm to engines or is that just a myth?
I just wouldn't use it on a good engine as any more than the least squirt and you'll hear the engine rattle. Excessive use can blow the head gasket, bend conrods or worse. I've heard of one case where the crankshaft was wrung off but it was a 4 cyl engine with 3 main bearings that wouldn't have a reputation as the worlds strongest crankshaft.

probably a pressure relief valve on the common rail if she common rail, had a 6930 do similar an odd time,new valve turned the tractor inside out

I just wouldn't use it on a good engine as any more than the least squirt and you'll hear the engine rattle. Excessive use can blow the head gasket, bend conrods or worse. I've heard of one case where the crankshaft was wrung off but it was a 4 cyl engine with 3 main bearings that wouldn't have a reputation as the worlds strongest crankshaft.
After initially spotting it in the toolbox of the 1135 I thought it may have been the cause of all the problems but it's owner said he used it for starting the old O&K digger it used to pull. He had affectionately renamed it with bit of duct tape to 'start ya bastard'.

If this is a Steyr type which i believe it is because i think you have been on here before then it can't be 2008 because they were only made to 2003, its not common rail it has a conventional Stanadyne pump. Now it could be the fuel lines as said above or maybe the lift pump letting it back, have you a non return valve in the line? So it doesn't start if you bled it too the fuel pump before starting it? Has it ever cut out on you?

After initially spotting it in the toolbox of the 1135 I thought it may have been the cause of all the problems but it's owner said he used it for starting the old O&K digger it used to pull. He had affectionately renamed it with bit of duct tape to 'start ya bastard'.
"Start ya bastard" is the name of a product actually available in the Uk, same ether as easystart.

"Start ya bastard" is the name of a product actually available in the Uk, same ether as easystart.
I was afraid to rip it off thinking it was covering a hole until I seen the faint but of writing. Thought it was shocking funny at the time.

Both the 699s here had ether start fitted from new,basically a 12v valve that released it out of a can of ether/easy start.

Both the 699s here had ether start fitted from new,basically a 12v valve that released it out of a can of ether/easy start.
It's the same story on the 1135. A small canister of it sits up behind the bottom grille and you push a button under the key to release it. Still has the original blank cannister in it though, was never used.

Wasnt the KIGAS kit for a TE20 basically doing the same thing too.
The Kigass kit on a fergie pumped fuel onto a red hot element which then caught fire.
If you sprayed ether or easystart into an air intake while the glow plug was red it would blow the inlet manifold off the engine! The ether ignites inside the combustion chamber upon compression, the kigass ignites in the manifold pre ignition.

The Kigass kit on a fergie pumped fuel onto a red hot element which then caught fire.
If you sprayed ether or easystart into an air intake while the glow plug was red it would blow the inlet manifold off the engine! The ether ignites inside the combustion chamber upon compression, the kigass ignites in the manifold pre ignition.

My mistake :blink:

Our ex army Muir hill shovel had a little single use canister that you dropped into a housing you then pushed a plunger that pierced the canister and injected it into the inlet manifold.

I used to tip a bit of thinners in on a cold morning till I fitted a thermostart.

Our ex army Muir hill shovel had a little single use canister that you dropped into a housing you then pushed a plunger that pierced the canister and injected it into the inlet manifold.

I used to tip a bit of thinners in on a cold morning till I fitted a thermostart.
Brake cleaner works too,isnt as harsh as easystart

Back