cattle and marts

headcase

Very Senior Member
could somebody explain to me why theres 27-29 month old stores going to market:confused1:
if youve taken them that far why not send them straight to slaughter:confused1:

could somebody explain to me why theres 27-29 month old stores going to market:confused1:
if youve taken them that far why not send them straight to slaughter:confused1:

Over here in a lot of cases they are making more money as agents will compete around the ring for them :001_rolleyes:

maybe so ,but over here they make between 7-800 ind i recon to be able to make a 100 on them in a month or so

maybe so ,but over here they make between 7-800 ind i recon to be able to make a 100 on them in a month or so

It is strange, perhaps they are stuck for fodder for them? Seen that happen before with people over here.

Heard a tale here other day, someone who shall we say thought he was better than the rest,went from iirc 50 head too 150 head in one fould swoop. Then was forced to sell the lot, thought he was being purty clever taking the lot over a couple weeks marts:no::no: he now has no pals either

Over here in a lot of cases they are making more money as agents will compete around the ring for them :001_rolleyes:

Thats what happened in Kilcullen yesterday 1010KG 6yr old lim worked into €1660 with 4 or 5 from the same farm nearly averaging at 1000kg from €1520 to €1590
Alot of finished cattle went through,
prices for 25mth 450kg AA €650ish and €850 for AA stores at 550kg at 30mths.

Thats what happened in Kilcullen yesterday 1010KG 6yr old lim worked into €1660 with 4 or 5 from the same farm nearly averaging at 1000kg from €1520 to €1590
Alot of finished cattle went through,
prices for 25mth 450kg AA €650ish and €850 for AA stores at 550kg at 30mths.

Wouldnt mind some of those AA's myself for the grass if they had a decent enough frame (R type preferably) - a few bob in them at that!

Wouldnt mind some of those AA's myself for the grass if they had a decent enough frame (R type preferably) - a few bob in them at that!

The mech grading doesnt do the AA's any favours though, or at least didn't for us last year!
Only time will tell :001_rolleyes:

The mech grading doesnt do the AA's any favours though, or at least didn't for us last year!
Only time will tell :001_rolleyes:

Never had that problem to be honest. AA bonus scheme means we are making more from average AA stock than some of the more choicer cattle we have.

Needless to say you know who bought the AA's :001_rolleyes::lol::laugh:

we are in the angus society too, just a bit pessimistic the way they killed out last year, but prices are up now:thumbup1:

hope to have them finished in 3 weeks, do you always finish them on grass Colm?

we are in the angus society too, just a bit pessimistic the way they killed out last year, but prices are up now:thumbup1:

hope to have them finished in 3 weeks, do you always finish them on grass Colm?

They are trying to pull them; the feckers! I don't know if prices will go up much more though.

No we are always in recent years out of the shed. We have more grassland this year and we are very tight on winter housing until another shed goes up so the plan is to buy some early to finish off the grass as well as the usual lot for the sheds.

A lot will depend on prices in the mart though!

I was just looking back at this and more or less what a finished animal was making wouldn't even convert to much of a store now, I may have an over simplistic view but when will supply catch up with demand and prices drop?
I have a comparison to the housing market decline in my mind for cattle where in say May 2013 cattle will fall back, or are we good to go for a few years?
Is it headage excitement with the whole 2014 sfp idea driving it on too?

I was just looking back at this and more or less what a finished animal was making wouldn't even convert to much of a store now, I may have an over simplistic view but when will supply catch up with demand and prices drop?
I have a comparison to the housing market decline in my mind for cattle where in say May 2013 cattle will fall back, or are we good to go for a few years?
Is it headage excitement with the whole 2014 sfp idea driving it on too?
anyone that thinks it ill be based on a heddage payment migh need their head examined.
id say its going to be based on units at a flat rate, some will fair out no better or worse but some will get an awful slap in the face, as in one man i know has only 3 entitlements but is getin near 15k for them, he is going to get his eyes opened.
there is no point in takin a ball of land either for id say it ill only be paid on what land you farm in the certain year.
maybe im wrong tho.

i know of one factory round here importing stock from france and the uk.
neways, id take my stores to the mart a lot of times before id think of sending them to a factory, they must be one of the biggest gangsters in the farming system.
no harm for them to be suffering imo.

I have depressed myself for the last few weeks in the mart and have had my hands glued in my pockets by choice.

Our system is exposed at the moment as everything is finished out of the shed and nothing for grass so I am a bit short fused at the minute :lol: And the ploughing is done so 2 small batches of cattle aren't keeping the boss man busy! Roundup has been threatened for more ground.

Was in the mart yesterday and several lots 300kgish €1000 bang!!!

I have a figure of €2.50 in my head per kg but wouldn't buy any store for that yesterday unless I wanted Jersey or P grade FR's :001_rolleyes:

I really can't see where this optimism is, only that so much capital is tied up in larger animals I think they are a better buy simpley down to less chance of market movements. I have been thinking of buying stock 450-480 kgs to finish off grass but that won't be happening either.

This thing about 2013 is driving everything mad. Land is a ridiculous price around here - you'd get nothing for less than €200 an acre and let me tell you tillage men won't make much profit if any out of that. A prominent farm let for the first time this year made much more than that both for grazing and tillage.

I think the factories will be laughing next spring, just look at the glut of FR's that they will have as 70,000 fewer calves were exported in 2011. This year they are being propped up by heavy culling of dairy cows due to the impending superlevy.

What about bull beef guys? We are steer finishers due to shed set up and my mid 60's father being on his own so H&S implications. I have never seen so many bulls as this year outnumbering steers 10:1 probably and lots of scrags too not castrated! I think factories could soon put a stop to a lot of this. I am hearing they are getting tough on over age and heavy carcasses.

The re-introduction of calves here has been seriously considered this weekend - and it is over 20 years since we last had them as I can only barely remember Golden Maverick being used :scared:

Back