Cattle dosing

Pour on for lice. Drench for the internals.
These days I just pour the necessary amount of whatever drench I'm using into the diet feeder and let it mix away for a good while.
Do you give it to them hungry and with enough feed that they'll eat fairly sharpish?
Be interesting to do a dung sampling before and after!

Pour on for lice. Drench for the internals.
These days I just pour the necessary amount of whatever drench I'm using into the diet feeder and let it mix away for a good while.
Not allowed in the EU as far as I know . We used to worm dose calves with a special water trough made by a crowd in Carlow. They also sold the LeGrain calf feeder. You needed to keep the white wormers mixed but an ordinary trough would do the other ones.

All young cattle done with animec super here last week. They'll get a cheaper dose at Christmas when the cows are being dosed.

Back when my father was young, every cow was dosed with a spoon of bluestone dissolved in hot water 6 weeks after housing. They got no other dose all year round. There was never an issue with fluke or worms and rumen fluke was non existent. I have most 3 cows to rumen fluke in the last 10 years and almost lost another 4 or 5.

I remember when you could buy molasses that had wormer in it,be just the job in the tub mixer.
You could buy creep feed for lambs with coccidiosis drench in it. Problem was that not every lamb visited the creeper, so you'd end up dosing the whole field anyway!

You could buy creep feed for lambs with coccidiosis drench in it. Problem was that not every lamb visited the creeper, so you'd end up dosing the whole field anyway!
I remember my uncle using the molasses in field with those ball feeders,some wouldn’t leave it alone while others wouldn’t go near,it would work ok in a mixer provided you had stock batched in similar weights.

All young cattle done with animec super here last week. They'll get a cheaper dose at Christmas when the cows are being dosed.

Back when my father was young, every cow was dosed with a spoon of bluestone dissolved in hot water 6 weeks after housing. They got no other dose all year round. There was never an issue with fluke or worms and rumen fluke was non existent. I have most 3 cows to rumen fluke in the last 10 years and almost lost another 4 or 5.
Still do my autumn calvers with bluestone.no more than your area we'd be low in copper.will do them twice anyway before the end of year.will get copper levels right for bulling mid to end of december and get rid of fluke aswell.

Still do my autumn calvers with bluestone.no more than your area we'd be low in copper.will do them twice anyway before the end of year.will get copper levels right for bulling mid to end of december and get rid of fluke aswell.
Im planning on doing all cows with bluestone and following up with a dung sample to see if it does anything

Depends on expected time to slaughter.

Anything 2 plus months will get Animec Super. Anything closer and that has loose dung/coughing will get Tramazole/Albex especially if easy to catch.

Few small ones, likely to be dosed.

All will get Spotinor for lice (although I think It's a waste)

I was always told bluestone is lethal if ingested.
It is , but if your low in copper and dont overdo it.bit better than level teaspoon but no more.
No withdrawels or that and bord bia accept it as a dosing regime cause on my 1st inspection yrs ago the auditor wouldnt believe me and rang head man in bord bia who accepted it.got the auditor to write and sign book after the call to say bord bia accepted it for the rest of them to come in the future

Depends on expected time to slaughter.

Anything 2 plus months will get Animec Super. Anything closer and that has loose dung/coughing will get Tramazole/Albex especially if easy to catch.

Few small ones, likely to be dosed.

All will get Spotinor for lice (although I think It's a waste)
I only use spotinor once lice have appeared and it works a treat.

Last year I cocked up and used 10ml of animec pour on by accident (I’d tipped it in a spotinor bottle because the animec cap was leaking)🙄 I treated 150 till I ran out and realised,I didn’t do anything and left them and it worked fine.

Im planning on doing all cows with bluestone and following up with a dung sample to see if it does anything
Forgot to say @mucky that bluestone wont kill lungworm and the test that they use for dung sample for worms will not detect lungworm.oldcastle and farmlab have seperate tests for lungworm they told me.this test takes longer to complete

I have not really used any lice treatment in 5 years, have 10 boxes of lice pour-on gone out of date. During the winter I will treat the odd one, usually a Ch. doubt i will do 1% of cattle as they just don't need it. nutrition will eradicate fly's and lice, but I haven't work on this angle yet as dont seem to have a problem.

Regarding dosing, Again how many cattle actually need it, if in doubt get a dung sample or even proper stockmanship will pick up the problems. The old age reply of -"sure a shot of that, will do them no harm", it most definitely will if they don't need it in the first place. Also using the heavy wormers certainly will be doing your natural soil predators harm, when you spread the resultant slurry/dung

Back