Cattle dosing

In 10 days now and not seeing any scratching at all yet or any tell tale signs, Maybe Ozzy is right.

Clipped back necks and tails at housing last week. If they need lice treatment will use 1 on the spot on s that go in 1 stop as we can do this while they're eating meal through the feed barrier.

This approach has worked well last couple of years but clipping helps a lot if done correctly.

What way is bluestone mixed for dosing to stock, could it work at lower levels in water troughs.
Bit better than level teaspoon.
I normally give it in 200ml of water which fits in the dosing gun.
You MUST dissolve it in hot water roughly 100ml or so and then top it with cold water to lower the temperature that it doesnt burn but if it gets to cold it may start to separate again and they tend to not swallow as quick

20210418_173739.jpg20210418_161822.jpg
Couple of cows we weren't happy with so decided to take a couple of samples. As always with the local vets here when you ask to sample anything you get looked at like you have 2 heads. Anyway results are back

View attachment 90401View attachment 90402
Couple of cows we weren't happy with so decided to take a couple of samples. As always with the local vets here when you ask to sample anything you get looked at like you have 2 heads. Anyway results are back
100 is a very low egg count. Very few cattle will show zero rumen fluke, it's a pity they don't give any indication of the level of infection, local lab do and it's very handy. I would be slow to say parasites are your problem based on that. How are their dungs? I have had cattle with heavy rumen fluke burdens and their dungs have been fine so it's not a sure fire way if diagnosing either.

100 is a very low egg count. Very few cattle will show zero rumen fluke, it's a pity they don't give any indication of the level of infection, local lab do and it's very handy. I would be slow to say parasites are your problem based on that. How are their dungs? I have had cattle with heavy rumen fluke burdens and their dungs have been fine so it's not a sure fire way if diagnosing either.
Ah sure the result is almost useless when presented like that, the result from the bdgp testing was the same, very disappointing. One of the cows was extremely loose so was sure there would be a fluke burden, maybe it was an infection of some kind or something.

Last edited:
Ah sure the result is almost useless when prese ted linked that, the result from the bdgp testing was the same, very disappointing. One of the cows was extremely loose so was sure there would be a fluke burden, maybe it was an infection 0f some kind or something.
If her dungs are loose, I would probably dose that cow for rumen fluke.

If her dungs are loose, I would probably dose that cow for rumen fluke.
Also if its bubbly but if there stomach is acidic with lush grass/ diet etc it will show the same.when they dung if she's bad with stomach fluke it will go straight out behind at force

Sub acute rumenal acidosis
If your on very lush leafy grass with no stem (fibre) or on a hi level of meal feeding particular a hi inclusion of wheat in the diet the stomach gets very acidic hence the scutter and also ulcers in the feet

Thanks lads. Its not acidosis anyway. Fluke drench followed by vitamin and mineral dose and we'll see how she goes.

Used an ivermectin based pour on on a squad of spring 2020 born heifers 2 weeks ago in the warm weather. They hadnt been dosed since turnout in march as they hadnt shown any signs of needing a dose being honest, and i really only went with the pouron to protect them from flies really in the warm weather but said the dose would do them no harm anyways. 2 weeks later now and they have a good cough even when walking never mind running. Is there any chance that it was too warm for the pour on? It certainly hasn't worked, I'm presuming lungworms are the issue now. Again I am presuming there is nothing for it only to dose them now again? Never saw a pouron to work as poorly.

Used an ivermectin based pour on on a squad of spring 2020 born heifers 2 weeks ago in the warm weather. They hadnt been dosed since turnout in march as they hadnt shown any signs of needing a dose being honest, and i really only went with the pouron to protect them from flies really in the warm weather but said the dose would do them no harm anyways. 2 weeks later now and they have a good cough even when walking never mind running. Is there any chance that it was too warm for the pour on? It certainly hasn't worked, I'm presuming lungworms are the issue now. Again I am presuming there is nothing for it only to dose them now again? Never saw a pouron to work as poorly.
Watch them closely for pneumonia. Ivermectin kills the lungworm very quickly and the lungworm can end up rotting in the bottom of the lungs. Much better option in cattle which haven’t been dosed in a long time would be a white drench, or ideally levamasole

Watch them closely for pneumonia. Ivermectin kills the lungworm very quickly and the lungworm can end up rotting in the bottom of the lungs. Much better option in cattle which haven’t been dosed in a long time would be a white drench, or ideally levamasole
This is two weeks later though? They all seem absolutely fine, but are noticeably coughing.

I'd be questioning if it's lungworm at all??
A bronchial lavage would reveal the culprit, bit could be pasturella. I wouldn't go in with Ivermectin again, I'd say go with a yellow drench.
I would very much so doubt that the pour on didn't work on lungworm, its actually an easy parasite to kill.
We vaccinated our calves for lungworm this year and they still took in to coughing for 4 or 5 days in June and then just stopped again.

I'd be questioning if it's lungworm at all??
A bronchial lavage would reveal the culprit, bit could be pasturella. I wouldn't go in with Ivermectin again, I'd say go with a yellow drench.
I would very much so doubt that the pour on didn't work on lungworm, its actually an easy parasite to kill.
We vaccinated our calves for lungworm this year and they still took in to coughing for 4 or 5 days in June and then just stopped again.
Did you vaccinate pre turnout?

Back