Cattle handling facilities

Needing to put up a crush and handling pen. I'm thinking something like this.

I've got a 18m x 8.5m concrete slab it can go on with a 1.5m high shuttered wall running along it's length.

Any recommedations on suppliers?

Attachments

• cattle_handling.jpeg
    cattle_handling.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 100

I've got a 18m x 8.5m concrete slab it can go on with a 1.5m high shuttered wall running along it's length.

Condon's

I know that pen in the pic well . Belongs to a local lad . The theory behind the wall on the chute was as you fill the chute the cattle cant see back in to the pen but can see the field and will run up the chute i think it works well enough . . Also know the lad that done the concrete work and erected it . There was some work in erecting it all the left hand side had to be erected and propped so the poles could be concreted in there was some amount of timber used to prop it all .

As Nash said we got ours from condon. It’s back a page or 2 here I think, I just found from walking through all the stands at the ploughing their stuff always stood out tbh, and they were a1 to deal with. That’s not to run down any of the other makers either just that to me they stood out.

We’ve knocked up a small pen in a similar manner to what your looking for in a bit of rented ground this year but just using esb poles and crash barriers for one side and a home made mobile crush on the other side and it works well.
There’s 2 things I see with the one above that are very simple but I may be missing an obvious way around it, one is it looks as if you have to come back up inside the wall and cross around the front of the crush after you put cattle in? If possible I’d rather that once they are in you can work them from the back up along if your using a hook drencher without having to cross in front of them first, that way they don’t know what’s coming till you have them caught. The other thing is very simple but the handle to release the head gate could do with being flipped to the cat walk side so you can just reach up and let them off.

I would recommend something like this with a curved forcing pen, I have a similar setup to the photo you posted in a slatted shed and it is a nightmare to get the cattle into the chute. I've been planning on putting up something like this for a few years now and hopefully this is the year I do it.
I would also make the walls 1.8m high
A chute that would hold one or two cattle would be long enough in a set up like that as you can continuously feed them in. There is no need to make a curved one like that. It would also be a good idea to keep the chute separate from the cattle rather than working in with them, I can see in the future that vets won't test them if in along with the cattle.
There is some good ideas for handling facilities over in TFF, the UK is years ahead of anything you see here

1622269673274.png

Last edited:
After recieving a swift kick to the knee from an annoyed bullock earler (mo damage thankfully!), I have decided we need to improve our handling facilities!

Don't currently have a race. Just from a back pen into the crush. (To the irish folk, crush here is the weigh crate with head yoke etc!😅)

For making the sides of a race.
Is it recommended that they can open?
And are standard gates, say 6-8ft stron enough. Or am I better going for purpose built gates with no uprights in them?

Something like this, the 8ft one with adjustable sides.

Would you not be better with a crowding tub and forget about the race, if you get a race you will still be in with the cattle, with a crowding you can be on the outside, and when you go that far you might as well upgrade the crush as well, I'll take the old one of your hands :lol:

After recieving a swift kick to the knee from an annoyed bullock earler (mo damage thankfully!), I have decided we need to improve our handling facilities!

Don't currently have a race. Just from a back pen into the crush. (To the irish folk, crush here is the weigh crate with head yoke etc!😅)

And are standard gates, say 6-8ft stron enough. Or am I better going for purpose built gates with no uprights in them?
As little uprights as possible, also bars need to be right spacing to prevent heads getting caught should they put them out.
Our crush has purpose made gates approx 7' and 4 bars.

Reactions: AYF
Something like this, the 8ft one with adjustable sides.

Would you not be better with a crowding tub and forget about the race, if you get a race you will still be in with the cattle, with a crowding you can be on the outside, and when you go that far you might as well upgrade the crush as well, I'll take the old one of your hands :lol:

Ah now in my mind the tub goes at the end of the race. This is part of the plan!
Questions re the tub come later when I get round to some drawings.

Most of the problem I have is that I want to try and fit it into our current handling shed, which is an old stone building.

Upgrading the crush may well come into it too. As the Morris has the levers on the wrong side of it. Unless they can be changed over!

Ah now in my mind the tub goes at the end of the race. This is part of the plan!

Most of the problem I have is that I want to try and fit it into our current handling shed, which is an old stone building.

Upgrading the crush may well come into it too. As the Morris has the levers on the wrong side of it. Unless they can be changed over!
Would you not be better to come up with a design for the tub now before you put in the race. If you put in the race without designing the tub you could be limiting your choices with the tub later on

Reactions: Paw

What lever needs to be changed, is it for the head gate or the squeeze sides?

Personally I prefer a race with openings as no matter what happens you can get an animal out once the side can open.

As for field gates, we had one made with 2 10ft field gates and the gates bowed once the pressure came on and you could see and feel them bow and it wasn’t fun standing beside it. I made a heavy 10ft for the back and a smaller gate and vet gate for the front bit.

Lately I’ve been thinking that we should have gone the way that’s more common with ye as in with a stand alone weigh crate for the front

Ive(touch wood) never had a beast down that I needed to open the sides of the race
Just as well as mine are fixed

Would you not be better to come up with a design for the tub now before you put in the race. If you put in the race without designing the tub you could be limiting your choices with the tub later on

What lever needs to be changed, is it for the head gate or the squeeze sides?
As I'm trying to fit it round existing infrastructure I'm pretty limited to it's drsign anyway. But in my head, from watching Temple Grandin and so on, it should work!

Yes the yoke lever is the wrong side. Tbh I'll have a gander and see can it be modified to dual control!

Personally I prefer a race with openings as no matter what happens you can get an animal out once the side can open.

As for field gates, we had one made with 2 10ft field gates and the gates bowed once the pressure came on and you could see and feel them bow and it wasn’t fun standing beside it. I made a heavy 10ft for the back and a smaller gate and vet gate for the front bit.

Lately I’ve been thinking that we should have gone the way that’s more common with ye as in with a stand alone weigh crate for the front
Opening does make sense then.

Anyone know a firm that makes just race side hurdles?

One side will run allong a stone wall, before kicking out into the crush.
What's best, plaster the wall smooth, or have a proper side to the race?

As I'm trying to fit it round existing infrastructure I'm pretty limited to it's drsign anyway. But in my head, from watching Temple Grandin and so on, it should work!

Yes the yoke lever is the wrong side. Tbh I'll have a gander and see can it be modified to dual control!

Opening does make sense then.

Anyone know a firm that makes just race side hurdles?

One side will run allong a stone wall, before kicking out into the crush.
What's best, plaster the wall smooth, or have a proper side to the race?
Most manufacturers over here are making hurdles for races o’Donovan, O’Donnell engineering, teemore, condon, and probably a lot more I can think of now!

How rough and straight is the stone wall? Might be better with a deep plaster to try give you a consistent width along the race?

Ive(touch wood) never had a beast down that I needed to open the sides of the race
Just as well as mine are fixed

We had one who went down and then decided to go with his four legs in the air, even with the race fully opened, he wouldn't twist around, some job and hope never to be repeated.

Anyone here using a squeeze crush .
I bought a clipex one this year, really had my heart set on an arrowquip but their prices had doubled since last year. Like everything else in this world I should have bought last year.

It's a great job for weighting compared to trying to get them to stand on the scales in a crush. New box has Bluetooth so the weight comes up on your phone and you type in the animals number, very handy for beep scheme. Squeeze is a good job for castrating bull weanlings with vet gate at the rear. Headscoop is also handy for dosing and replacing tags or if you had to treat a sore eye.

There was a new company selling arrowquip in the north and they gave me prices on a Monday, I said I'd be up on Friday and in between they sent me a list of revised prices with higher prices so I didn't bother and went to look at the clipex instead. Vet gate and headscoop is standard on the clipex and extra on the arrowquip. But the headscoop on arrowquip looks better to use.

Like I said if I'd got my arse in gear last year there would be an arrowquip in the yard. But very happy I bought one regardless of make.

Back