Chainsaw thread who got what?

I have a Husky 346 ? XP . 7 odd years old.
Great saw for the bit of use I give it.

Would you rate the Echo as good / better than a Husky ?

I dont like the modern huskies or stihls. The alloys are too soft , plus anyone i know using them has to have 3 as they are that unreliable.
Echo may have less power but are simple robust and now a good range of sellers.

Id buy any of the older carb saws, but any us made of husky is rubbish.

For me a chainsaw should start and run, only needing sharpening.
New saws need fully synthetic 2 stroke which is double the price.

I have used aspen and would recommend it to help with carbs, especially if your leaving it sat for 6 plus months.

I havent gone battery, but my next saw will be. My last 2 saws are echo top handled. I wouldnt touch a new husky or stihl with autotunes.

The only saw envy i have is a husky 390. I have a 357xp and a 395xp but id put the 390 in the same weight n size as a 365/372 just with more power.

I can see myself buying one. The 395 is heavy if your lugging it all day.

A 365 or 372xp are two great mid sized saws. I had a 372 until it got nicked.

That said the 357xp is a great small saw.

I have countless (i think i have 5!!) Small ms171 stihls and would rate them. These are v small but still very capable.
I've a 390 with a meter bar on it and it aint a light piece specially when you are using it all day............................................. and drawing petrol to it if you are cutting big stuff..........................................................................................

My 660 had a full engine rebuild with genuine parts a couple of years ago and the piston got scored again recently.
It would have done at most a weeks work as I only use it for big stuff.
I always mix the petrol myself with stihl 2 stroke.the saw doctor cant explain it

The Echo 550 EVL is getting a bit tired here, no surprise I suppose as it's 25+ years & probably closer to 30 so it's had a good run. It had a few repairs over the years but now it doesn't want to run unless it's cutting when it heats up, as soon as the chain stops it doesn't like to idle & often conks out. I'm thinking of buying a new one as I don't want an unreliable saw when felling trees !

Looking at another Echo as they have a 5 year warranty & I will be buying from Atkins. Anyone got an opinion on either of the these, I guess the 4510ES is a new version of the 450 but cheaper & more powerful https://www.echo-tools.co.uk/product-category/chainsaws/ ?
Will I notice much of a difference between either of these 45cc ones & our old 550 which is a 55c I think, looking at the 45cc ones as they will be a bit lighter to handle (& cheaper)

ECHO CS-450 CHAINSAW

ECHO CS-4510ES CHAINSAW

Yes and no, you'll notice less weight and less power, but what difference either make is a more personal thing.

We have a few saws, 60cc, 45cc and 30something.

The 45 doesnt get a whole lot of use as it's a relatively older machine and quite heavy for it's size, it's a backup saw, gets the sh*tty work cutting sleepers and the like.

The other two are poles apart and most lads who've never run a small saw would scoff at the little ms180, but I love it. sure the 60cc saw will out cut it, but not by as much as you'd think and the weight but also the size are a huge boon. A lot of what we cut is branches, or fallen trees and the maneuverability of the small saw between branches makes for a very rapid dismantling of a tree.

You'll only notice the lost power on bigger cuts, but you'll notice the reduced weight on every cut.

Less than the price in the link after asking for a better price, we did buy an Automower from them last year though so that might have helped. Always worth asking for a deal anyway.

Bought the ego power cs1600 early this year. Electric but fantastic wee saw for its size and perfect my needs chopped up a good 18” diameter tree few weeks ago.

Anyone got an oleo Mac? Have a small husqvarna but it has been giving trouble, cutting out when warm and hard restarted. Been serviced and looked at by a few different people and it always goes back to the same problem after a bit of use.

oleo Mac 400 model. Have a bigger saw so only want a 14 inch saw for light work.

Father had a 60cc efco for years, sister brand of oleo mac. Got on very well with it, bit heavy but was an animal for torque compared to my 60cc husky.

But on your own saw I have similar problems.... when it gets hot and dies, crack open the fuel tank and close it straight away, then try start it again.

Mine gives similar symptoms, it's the tank breather in my case

Back