Chainsaw thread who got what?

These Stihl easy files have been around for a few years. has anyone here actually used one? They get good reviews.

Timber season is starting early for me this year, hoping to take down a few ash trees this weekend
I have one and am happy with it.

I got one after my brother raved about his one, they are very handy, if you are good with standard hand files they are a bit of a step forward, if you are not good with standard files, they are a God send.
I wouldn't go back, I no longer burn timber so I am slow loosing the skills required to sharpen with standard hand files.

These Stihl easy files have been around for a few years. has anyone here actually used one? They get good reviews.

Timber season is starting early for me this year, hoping to take down a few ash trees this weekend
Super tool, if i lost or broke my ones I’d replace them in the morning!

I had the electric one for a good while but it does eat chains, it’s still working but I was concerned was the shape of the grinding wheel still right or not. So I bought one of these last year and even though I haven’t used it much yet, it probably keeps the angles more accurate so slightly better edge.
It’s easy to use.

Have a Stihl 462 ordered since mid May. At the time dealer said it would be 6 to 8 weeks. We are now approaching 4 months and went in there this morning only to be told be lucky to get them by the end of the year!
Tried me to take a 500i which is in stock but €550 more.
Usual three lads blamed, Ukraine war, Covid and Brexit.?
Anyone experience with the 500i ?
Are they 50% better than a 462 ?

Have a Stihl 462 ordered since mid May. At the time dealer said it would be 6 to 8 weeks. We are now approaching 4 months and went in there this morning only to be told be lucky to get them by the end of the year!
Tried me to take a 500i which is in stock but €550 more.
Usual three lads blamed, Ukraine war, Covid and Brexit.?
Anyone experience with the 500i ?
Are they 50% better than a 462 ?

We did a bit on a 500i

Never had a 462 though they are well regarded as a medium/heavy saw
Have a 500i since last Christmas.
Hasn't done a lot yet but a real pleasure to use in terms of speed and weight.
On a strictly financial basis, probably not worth 550 more.
I'd still buy one though.
Mine replaced a 660 and it's definitely a more all round saw,can pull the 36" bar no problems

Another 500i owner, they are an unbelievable saw for power and they aren't that heavy for a big saw. Mine came standard with the 25 inch light bar. The 462 would be very close at 72cc and they are lighter than the 500i and they are supposed to have a better filtration system although I never had any bother with mine that way. 500i are thirsty but the power is there. 0 to 100km/hr in 0.25 seconds is some going..

Another 500i owner, they are an unbelievable saw for power and they aren't that heavy for a big saw. Mine came standard with the 25 inch light bar. The 462 would be very close at 72cc and they are lighter than the 500i and they are supposed to have a better filtration system although I never had any bother with mine that way. 500i are thirsty but the power is there. 0 to 100km/hr in 0.25 seconds is some going..
€1300 + vat for the 500i, it’d want to be some saw.

Got the expensive file, it's a great job.

A side benefit of the way it rides on top of the teeth is that it's very obvious where you have filed or not which is a really minor thing but really helpful at the same time when doing a quick touch up

Attachments

• PXL_20221023_081847771.jpg
    PXL_20221023_081847771.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 84
I'm still liking it anyway.
My gsh400 has sawn a good bit now and it's still faultless. My old man has a husqui 365 - a great powerful saw. But he will bring my saw over it now claiming that it is lighter and has loads of power.

I'm still liking it anyway.

My gsh400 has sawn a good bit now and it's still faultless. My old man has a husqui 365 - a great powerful saw. But he will bring my saw over it now claiming that it is lighter and has loads of power.
Ah good.....

I'd be a lot like @nashmach, I'd take a notion drinking the 10 o'clock tea that I could do with something and I'd have it bought before the 4 o'clock tea

20221025_153412.jpg

I have a small ego battery saw and think the same thing on a regular basis. it's nearly a bit too easy to use.

When I leave the petrol saw on the floor it'll hop around a bit sounding angry reminding you who's boss, the battery saw in use is quieter than a food mixer

Back