Chainsaw thread who got what?

This is probably going to end up badly but can anyone recommend a good chainsaw for a beginner who only needs to manage half an acre of woodland but timber coming in as well as the main house heating is wood fired.

This is probably going to end up badly but can anyone recommend a good chainsaw for a beginner who only needs to manage half an acre of woodland but timber coming in as well as the main house heating is wood fired.
Husquavarna 365 Special or its modern day equivalent.

Whilst a husky 365 is a great saw ,I had one from new but it got stolen.
I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner.
A smaller saw, stihl or husqvarna somewhere between 30 - 40 cc max with a 14 inch bar is much safer easy to use and will cut lots.
When you get more experience at it you can buy bigger.

Let me clarify a bit, I'm not unfamiliar with chainsaws but experience has been electric for garden work. Now looking to make the step up. In all honesty I practice chainsaws the same way I rode a motorcycle, invested more in protective gear and training than in the actual bike. Thought I'd get some knowledgeable advice from here as chainsaws is not my expertise at all when it comes to types and models. Although I am partial to Husqvarna motorbike so they get a 👍

I have a husky 135, I wouldn’t recommend it, light and plasticy, very little done and the pull start had to be changed. The bigger ones are in a different league I’d imagine

I have a stihl 181 and 391, both great saws and both have their place. For anything up to 6 inch diameter or even a bit bigger, I’ll grab the smaller saw every time. It’s so much lighter and manoeuvrable. But for cutting bigger stuff you can beat the weight and power of the bigger saw. First thing you need to do is figure out what exactly you plan to use the saw for. I am a big fan of stihl saws but plenty others will recommended other brands, I would consider dealer backup for parts and servicing to be a big part when deciding on a brand.

I cut this in the last couple of days. Part of an ash tree and a few boughs that fell out of oak and beech trees. There were some small trees I cut off a ditch . I will split them over the next few weeks.

Attachments

• E1B0F61B-C6BB-4E39-A788-CFF86DE704E4.jpeg
    E1B0F61B-C6BB-4E39-A788-CFF86DE704E4.jpeg
    350.5 KB · Views: 154
I cut this in the last couple of days. Part of an ash tree and a few boughs that fell out of oak and beech trees. There were some small trees I cut off a ditch . I will split them over the next few weeks.

What is oak like to burn ? Heard it was slow burning , but not great heat .
More a sort of gnawing fire

Hi all. Would a husky 135 mark II be good/strong enough for handy work around the farm? Have a bigger saw but too heavy for tipping around work. Thanks

Hi all. Would a husky 135 mark II be good/strong enough for handy work around the farm? Have a bigger saw but too heavy for tipping around work. Thanks
Bad experience here with one. It was light and strong for its weight but hadn't much work done and started to conk out when warm. Spent more getting it repaired than it actually cost and it was only fixed 6 months and it started to conk out again.

I would avoid to be honest. My brother in law has one and it needs a new crankcase. That's the second time it's gone that way so it's sitting on the shelf now.

For handy work around the farm, it's hard to beat an oleomac gsh400 for the money. I got one on recommendation from @muckymanor and it's going well so far, a year and a half in.

I've a Stihl ms180, similar size and it's a right piece of gear. I bought it second hand with a share of work done and have been very happy with it

Bad experience here with one. It was light and strong for its weight but hadn't much work done and started to conk out when warm. Spent more getting it repaired than it actually cost and it was only fixed 6 months and it started to conk out again.
Same experience here

Back