Chainsaw thread who got what?

Thats beech,a tree that came.sown in our own place.has a lovely flash through it alright,it's barely wide enough for a kitchen table but it may be what's used yet.
Have bigger oak gone to the sawmill,finally found someone with a big enough band sawView attachment 116946
What make is the trailer?
How do you like the hydraulic beaver tail?

What make is the trailer?
How do you like the hydraulic beaver tail?
It's made by d-tec engineering In Tyrone,I bought it new.
Have it a few years,had to replace the timber floor this year Even though it was supposed to be hardwood.
Having said that,an eight ton digger with narrow steel tracks was being moved a lot for its first few years which was hard on it.
It's 26.5 ft long, bought as a dual purpose for digger and bales and it's undoubtedly good for that
It's a bit harder loaded than most dedicated low loaders as the steel beaver isn't as long as ramps plus a beaver.
Its similar to the kane one but has proper channel steel cross members not pressed which kane use I think.
I am happy with it for my work,I have a 13 ton machine and it's grand for it ,I'd imagine a new equivalent would be expensive
Has the very wide low super singles for field work

I buy the dearest Stihl oil usually yes,or some good quality two stroke anyway.
A mechanic friend uses marine two stroke which is supposed to be high quality but the chainsaw man I bought the last Stihl from reckoned that chainsaws run hotter,which makes sense as the boat engines are water cooled.
I ran short one day and bought a little bottle of two stroke in the shop, noticed it was thin and no colour,saw seized shortly after,can't guarantee it was the problem either though

A mechanic friend uses marine two stroke which is supposed to be high quality but the chainsaw man I bought the last Stihl from reckoned that chainsaws run hotter,which makes sense as the boat engines are water cooled.
I ran short one day and bought a little bottle of two stroke in the shop, noticed it was thin and no colour,saw seized shortly after,can't guarantee it was the problem either though
I run hp ultra and hp super, between them you are pretty well covered, I wouldn't put cheap oil in a saw I paid over a thousand euro for anyway..

I run hp ultra and hp super, between them you are pretty well covered, I wouldn't put cheap oil in a saw I paid over a thousand euro for anyway..
When I got the stihl hedgecutter here I’d picked up a bottle of the red stihl 2 stroke as we needed it anyways, the guy I was dealing with said you’d be better of going for the ultra(green one) for what you’ll do, he reckoned the red is grand for the garden user but prefers lads that will work them hard to use the green

Stihl hp red is the basic bog standard oil, stihl hp super (green) is semi synthetic and stihl hp ultra ,(also green) is fully synthetic and biodegradable. I think super is probably the best option unless your using the saw on a professional level. There is a whole world of difference of opinion on 2 stroke oil on various forestry forums online.. I run stihl hp ultra and mix it with aspen 4, there is zero ethanol in aspen. Long storage life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Screenshot_20211006-225414_Gallery.jpg

Stihl 500i with 25 inch bar. An animal.

Getting better at proper felling cuts, but I always end up taking too big of a wedge, having to cut in too far to get the top and bottom cuts to meet

Attachments

• PXL_20230204_151554802.jpg
    PXL_20230204_151554802.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 91
What is the proper procedure when starting a saw from cold, do you let it idle for a while till it warms up or do you need to let them warm up

What is the proper procedure when starting a saw from cold, do you let it idle for a while till it warms up or do you need to let them warm up
The one here always seems to prefer a minute or two idling if it’s starting cold before revving it

Getting better at proper felling cuts, but I always end up taking too big of a wedge, having to cut in too far to get the top and bottom cuts to meet
1/3 of diameter I believe is recommended.
I find it easier to make the up angle cut first then it's easier to meet it coming down the way if that makes sense

@Seedsower sometimes it's the simple things. I'd always have done the level cut first and then end up going in a mile to meet them.

This one's only small but went perfectly
PXL_20230205_114457604.jpg

That's part of my starter, somehow engaged itself while running. Saw stopped dead, I thought it was borked. And me with the wedge cut out of the last tree

Only a nylon gear, hopefully Atkins have them.

Attachments

• 16756137289109159481453095368050.jpg
    16756137289109159481453095368050.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 65
That's part of my starter, somehow engaged itself while running. Saw stopped dead, I thought it was borked. And me with the wedge cut out of the last tree

Only a nylon gear, hopefully Atkins have them.
Abbey service in Cahir have them, or at least they did not that long ago.

They're pretty good for Stihl alright.

Heading to Bandon Tuesday for more timber work so will try Atkins en route.

I was able to restart it but not sure I want to try it from cold because I'd only be engaging with one of the two dogs on the flywheel which probably ain't right on it

They're pretty good for Stihl alright.

Heading to Bandon Tuesday for more timber work so will try Atkins en route.

I was able to restart it but not sure I want to try it from cold because I'd only be engaging with one of the two dogs on the flywheel which probably ain't right on it
He has parts for the oleo Mac also. Atkins should have the bits you need I'd imagine.

These Stihl easy files have been around for a few years. has anyone here actually used one? They get good reviews.

Timber season is starting early for me this year, hoping to take down a few ash trees this weekend
I've never made chips like this with a regular file

PXL_20230212_114335260.jpg

Back