Cheap press

Hello resurrecting this thread which I should have done pre brexit but here we are. Looking at buying something like a cousins type 28 press, nice one here. https://www.oakfields-ag.com/product/2000-cousins-46m-type-28-land-packer

Does anybody know of any selling in Ireland. The Simba unipress seems another great tool but probably beyond my budget. All suggestions welcome.

Which would take more pulling a type 28 or a Simba unipress?
No real help to you but I was also hoping to pick up a press for this year's spring crops but missed the brexit boat. How much HP have you at your disposal, I was talking to Brocks back in Dec, they had a cousins like above and didn't think my 180hp was enough muscle, there's a couple of Cross ones after popping up lately, there was one for 3k in Tipp, Willie Corbett had one in a million pieces a few months ago and it's now on DD, he said they were trying to get rings for it that time as a few were broke, sounded like they were an astronomical price to replace.

No real help to you but I was also hoping to pick up a press for this year's spring crops but missed the brexit boat. How much HP have you at your disposal, I was talking to Brocks back in Dec, they had a cousins like above and didn't think my 180hp was enough muscle, there's a couple of Cross ones after popping up lately, there was one for 3k in Tipp, Willie Corbett had one in a million pieces a few months ago and it's now on DD, he said they were trying to get rings for it that time as a few were broke, sounded like they were an astronomical price to replace.
180 would be the most we would have available and that is aging so long term 150 or 160 would need to manage it. @laoisfarmer was working with a lot less, and I think @rustymcsocks is pulling a unipress with about 160.

Hello resurrecting this thread which I should have done pre brexit but here we are. Looking at buying something like a cousins type 28 press, nice one here. https://www.oakfields-ag.com/product/2000-cousins-46m-type-28-land-packer

Does anybody know of any selling in Ireland. The Simba unipress seems another great tool but probably beyond my budget. All suggestions welcome.

Use a rexius twin here and had a cousins giant landpacker before that. The rexius is a heavy lump and takes some pulling but does really good work. 160 on the rexius copes fine but in my opinion large tillage tyres make up the tractor pulling it. No deep tracks to try take out

Did you try @jd-baz for something, not sure but I thought he had something a while back .

if you have the weight with that 180hp to get the power to the ground, should be fine unless compaction plays a factor?

Yes it would be worth a look I think he is putting new discs on it and it needs a press wheel.
Saw it last week all right , it's an Xpress and the frame is very clean, slightly different to a unipress it has discs and a lightish packer because it's a mounted model, it's not exactly what I'm looking for and the money isn't small.

I've a simba 4.6 meter furrow press, great machine but I don't get to use it that much. It takes valuable time to come back to the yard drop a plough or onepass put furrow press on, go press field then back to yard drop furrow press. Even if you have enough tractors do you have drivers and the time.

I find if I plough field, in with onepass and roll after sowing with ring roller does an excellent job. I'd only use furrow press on lea ground.

what exactly does the furrow press do that a cambridge roller doesnt exactly? sry for being a bit dense and all just whenever i see a press working i think that a cambridge roller could do it as well or is there something way more to it?

what exactly does the furrow press do that a cambridge roller doesnt exactly? sry for being a bit dense and all just whenever i see a press working i think that a cambridge roller could do it as well or is there something way more to it?
In general a good furrow press will consolidate ploughed ground deeply while leaving the top quite loose, while any roller will consolidate the top of the ground very well but deep consolidation will be poor.

Back