Chlorothalonil

Just curious lads but what could be used in place of CTL when it's gone?.
There is some new chemistry on the way but I’m not too sure how good or bad it is yet as i haven’t seen it in action yet. Other than that there is a product called Phoenix which is a real old active known as folpet which is of some use but not as good as CTL. Other than that we are bolloxed

There is some new chemistry on the way but I’m not too sure how good or bad it is yet as i haven’t seen it in action yet. Other than that there is a product called Phoenix which is a real old active known as folpet which is of some use but not as good as CTL. Other than that we are bolloxed
Hopefully the new stuff will be good but like everything thats getting banned or replaced it won't be and naturally it'll incur a good hefty price rise for the new product.

I've been considering buying in a pallet or 2 of it myself. Whats the reason behind the ban does anyone know?.
It’s an EU decision.

Apparently it was just going to be too costly to re register the product. Bravo breaks down into so many other chemicals that they couldn’t see how they would all be safe.
I’d imagine that the fact that there are so many generics, the original maker Syngenta couldn’t justify spending the money for the benefit of the generics.

Can't buy CTL anymore. I ordered two years supply last week. I'll have to hide it under the bed after May.
I would be very nervous about putting CTL on a crop after this year. The Department of Agri will be testing for it. Early one morning last August they came into my yard took a couple of samples of wheat and barley, thankfully they didn’t find any thing. You can be sure they will be looking for it from next year on and I wouldn’t care to have it show up in a sample.

I would be very nervous about putting CTL on a crop after this year. The Department of Agri will be testing for it. Early one morning last August they came into my yard took a couple of samples of wheat and barley, thankfully they didn’t find any thing. You can be sure they will be looking for it from next year on and I wouldn’t care to have it show up in a sample.
My neighbour is a terror for spraying with flat fan nozzles on a windy day.

I was told by a lecturer in a study a couple of years ago bravo was used and it killed absolutely every sort of micro organism in the soil, much more than other sprays, could be a factor for its ban too

Last edited:
Back