Claas Tractors

WestCorkBoy

Hello, not sure if there is a Claas tractor thread, couldn't find it anyway so said i'd start one. I'm considering buying a SH tractor in the new year as we have nearly 15,000 hrs on a 7740 doing 900-1000 hrs a year and while it hasn't let us down yet I can't rely on it and it's showing it's age in wear rather than cosmetically. I'm looking for opinions on the '07-'11, 500 series Arions, or maybe a 430 does anyone own one, how do you find it. They seem to be a bit of value second hand and are made from good components. Main duties would be diet feeder, trailed and mounted spraying (18m is the plan), fertiliser, small amount of ploughing with 4f reversible overum. Any input is welcome. I'm also considering a NH T6020/6040 or case equivalent or even a Nh t5.105. The JD options are too pricey for me.

not sure about the smaller ones , think there was an issue with engines on some which they were sorting under warrenty . perkins engine?? no sure anyway . but with anytrhing french make sure the electrics are working ok

not sure about the smaller ones , think there was an issue with engines on some which they were sorting under warrenty . perkins engine?? no sure anyway . but with anytrhing french make sure the electrics are working ok
I thought they all used the 4.5l John Deere engine? There was the head gasket issue but claas claim to have fixed that by using a different gasket, I'd be looking to have it done into the deal if it hadn't been done already.

Know very little about the Claas but I think a T5.105 would be light enough for the plough?

I would have said the same about the 430 :scratchhead:

Know very little about the Claas but I think a T5.105 would be light enough for the plough?

I would have said the same about the 430 :scratchhead:
Yeah wouldn't expect the t5.105 to be up to it, I think the 430 is a nice bit heavier though, would be great to speak to an owner and see how capable it would be. My other qualm on the t5 is stability with a 18m mounted sprayer.

Yeah they are good to deal with. I might give our local salesman a call about a S/H model once all the cash rich Dairy farmers have picked up their 181 tractors!
B and m obrien builders have 2 doing big hrs between their own farm work and the business. Darbys in clon have one as well.

They seem a good tractor. Parts very expensive though. If your going to keep it till its clapped out I'd say it would serve you well but if you want to change in a few years time for something else don't expect much interest in it from dealers

They seem a good tractor. Parts very expensive though. If your going to keep it till its clapped out I'd say it would serve you well but if you want to change in a few years time for something else don't expect much interest in it from dealers

That seems to be the general theme for them around here anyway but given the OP has gotten 14k!! Hours out of the 7740 I'd say it will be there a while!

Would plan on holding on to it long term, buy something decent, take care of it, and get value from it long term, the plan only goes wrong if you buy a lemon that brings problems with it.

Mate of mine owns two. On about getting a third. Loves them. Been very reliable for him.
Only complaint is the bolts holding the pto stub on are too small for the job. But not a hard fix. And his main work is roller milling so pto gets a lot of work.

Yeah wouldn't expect the t5.105 to be up to it, I think the 430 is a nice bit heavier though, would be great to speak to an owner and see how capable it would be. My other qualm on the t5 is stability with a 18m mounted sprayer.
T5.105 EC here, same backend as a T6020 etc, dual power version is abit lighter on the backend but still on par with a 7740. The only pictures I have on my phone but hopefully give you a good idea of what it’s like
09975C7D-0A2A-4498-AE80-6320C69A7E91.jpeg

D0D90F01-CC52-48A1-875C-7D4914B4750C.jpeg

Grand tractor I think, paintwork fades quickly is probably the biggest fault id say about them. In general a middle of the road tractor, I drove a 640 for a while had the hexshift box and electric spools, I can't say it was bad cause it's not, I just didn't like it. Couldn't get a feel for it cab wasn't really a modern cab felt dated, it was alright just not good.

Hello, not sure if there is a Claas tractor thread, couldn't find it anyway so said i'd start one. I'm considering buying a SH tractor in the new year as we have nearly 15,000 hrs on a 7740 doing 900-1000 hrs a year and while it hasn't let us down yet I can't rely on it and it's showing it's age in wear rather than cosmetically. I'm looking for opinions on the '07-'11, 500 series Arions, or maybe a 430 does anyone own one, how do you find it. They seem to be a bit of value second hand and are made from good components. Main duties would be diet feeder, trailed and mounted spraying (18m is the plan), fertiliser, small amount of ploughing with 4f reversible overum. Any input is welcome. I'm also considering a NH T6020/6040 or case equivalent or even a Nh t5.105. The JD options are too pricey for me.

have a 12 reg iirc arion 420 here (non front suspension model) got it chipped shortly after getting it as it lacked torque on the hills been fine ever since. does all our bale handling with front loader and double lifter, fert with a 2 bag centreliner and sprays with a 1200l amazone with 15m booms - would have no issues of using it with 18m. does need front weights if you're going to fill the sprayer. haven't ploughed with it only moved a kv ed85 4 fur round the yard so not sure how it would fair. handy tractor with a good turning lock can combine the oil pumps which makes loader work very quick. much more straight forward looking tractor to the newer models. only real downfall is the lack of front suspension made worse by the short wheelbase but goes with the territory of a small 4cyl tractor. very reliable so far (bit over 2500hrs) just needing servicing a new battery in august 16 and a slightly stretched spool cable which just needed adjusting.

Stick with john Deere new Holland if ya want any kind of reliability or resale value.id say whatever you have spent on the 7740 up to 15000 hrs you could quadruple if more with the class to same hours.below average tractor in my opinion.

Stick with john Deere new Holland if ya want any kind of reliability or resale value.id say whatever you have spent on the 7740 up to 15000 hrs you could quadruple if more with the class to same hours.below average tractor in my opinion.
I appreciate the reply, and I’m not being ungrateful for the advice but just wondering what you’re basing it on, is it personal experience?

I appreciate the reply, and I’m not being ungrateful for the advice but just wondering what you’re basing it on, is it personal experience?
Not based on my own experience bit friends had them and horror stories all the way.I made the mistake one time of buying another brand that was very comfortable etc and after another year bought another cos so happy .I taught the lads buying now Holland and John Deere were right fools paying 10000 more for nothing.by god I paid that 10000 euro back fast.we do 2000 hrs plus with the tractors every year and after 5000 they cost me a fortune.I bought cheap and then sold cheaper.we now run case and newholland etc and Reilly happy with them.I learned my lesson but twas a dear way to learn.any old heap of junk will do 5000 hrs.but this only real ones do 15000 hrs plus and not cost a fortune.this only my opinion and mine only OK.everyone entitled to their own

Not based on my own experience bit friends had them and horror stories all the way.I made the mistake one time of buying another brand that was very comfortable etc and after another year bought another cos so happy .I taught the lads buying now Holland and John Deere were right fools paying 10000 more for nothing.by god I paid that 10000 euro back fast.we do 2000 hrs plus with the tractors every year and after 5000 they cost me a fortune.I bought cheap and then sold cheaper.we now run case and newholland etc and Reilly happy with them.I learned my lesson but twas a dear way to learn.any old heap of junk will do 5000 hrs.but this only real ones do 15000 hrs plus and not cost a fortune.this only my opinion and mine only OK.everyone entitled to their own
Very much appreciate your input! What types of issues did your buddies have? What models were they?

Arion and axion.gearbox and backend trouble.big big repair bills.I don't want to say more cos I have great time and respect for màcarthys.super company.best of luck with ur purchase.

Back