Cleaning an engine bay.

AYF

The old Combo van, which has served me well the last 10 yrs, is up for sale.
Plan is a We Buy Any Van job. As the old girl is rough looking. But sound enough mechanically.

Howwould you set about spruicing up under the bonnet?
Spray it with clutch and break cleaner then a hosepipe?
Or leave well alone?
Screenshot_20230124_111334_Gallery.jpg

wbav wont give you full rate so why bother?

i dont like too much water under there
if you were that way inclined maybe bag over the alternator and any fuse box then spray "gunk" all around then power wash off

Reactions: AYF
wbav wont give you full rate so why bother?

i dont like too much water under there
if you were that way inclined maybe bag over the alternator and any fuse box then spray "gunk" all around then power wash off
Nobody will give full rate for her! Proper agri spec.
She's had a wind repair using a crow bar and lump hammer! Has passed every mot since then!

Wbav were offering double what I'd expect, but that was before a valuation day, might well drop an insane amount on the day!

Spray with some engine degreaser and rinse off with a power washer held back a reasonable distance, ideally a hot wash, or even just a regular washer hooked up to the hot tap.

I'd start with the engine cold, fire it up and then wash it and leave it running until it dries itself out.

When they recovered my brother in-laws van the police told him that they’d left it in a right state,he picked it up and it was as he’d left it.😂
I know an older farmer who traded in his Defender.
Decided some weeks later he needed a second transport so went off looking for a second hand Defender.

Bought his old one back without realising! Wasn't untill his son pointed it out that he realised!
They'd tidied it up so well!

Back