Climate change: Is vertical farming the answer?

Carys

Climate change is a pressing challenge to current and future food production. To continue to feed a growing population, it is clear that food production methods will have to adapt to become more resilient. I am studying for my MRes in Urban Agriculture at Harper Adams University. I am keenly interested in exploring the role of vertical farming in climate change mitigation and adaptation and its role in the future of food production. The link below leads to a short survey that explores views on climate change, conventional agriculture, and vertical farming. What's your opinion? You don't need to know about vertical farming to fill it out and it will take you less than 15 minutes! Your participation would be much appreciated.
https://harper-adams.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/climate-change-and-uk-agriculture-copy

Great another survey from someone who posts in multiple parts of the forum and will never be seen again.
Yipee.

What the heck is vertical farming?
Or even what is horizontal farming for that matter?
We're all on different levels for sure šŸ˜

What the heck is vertical farming?
Or even what is horizontal farming for that matter?
We're all on different levels for sure šŸ˜
Hello! In principle, a vertical farm is an indoor space, where crops are commonly grown upwards, using soilless farming techniques such as hydroponics, aeroponics or aquaponics.

Yes Urban agriculture is a good thing, mainly because cities cause 80% of the world's greenhouse gas emissions, but also it promotes community spirit and is very good for a local area of a city.
My sister was very involved in Bronx Green up. https://www.nybg.org/gardens/bronx-green-up/
I dislike your linking of climate change to agriculture, the rise in greenhouse gas emissions has always and totally tracked the digging up and burning of fossil fuels.

Great another survey from someone who posts in multiple parts of the forum and will never be seen again.
Yipee.

Yes Urban agriculture is a good thing, mainly because cities cause 80% of the world's greenhouse gas emissions, but also it promotes community spirit and is very good for a local area of a city.
My sister was very involved in Bronx Green up. https://www.nybg.org/gardens/bronx-green-up/
I dislike your linking of climate change to agriculture, the rise in greenhouse gas emissions has always and totally tracked the digging up and burning of fossil fuels.
I agree! I have just taken a look, what a great project; I think it's important to teach people where their food comes from and how it's grown (and the implications of it too) and local projects can be great for that.

Good to hear your opinion, this is exactly what I want to learn and discover through my survey. A big part of my research is listening to people's opinions on the relationship between climate change and agriculture and if there even is one! There are plenty of comment boxes throughout if you have the time to complete it.

I agree! I have just taken a look, what a great project; I think it's important to teach people where their food comes from and how it's grown (and the implications of it too) and local projects can be great for that.

Good to hear your opinion, this is exactly what I want to learn and discover through my survey. A big part of my research is listening to people's opinions on the relationship between climate change and agriculture and if there even is one! There are plenty of comment boxes throughout if you have the time to complete it.
I did start to fill it out, but aimed at UK farmers, so thought I should stop.

Back