clipping cattle's backs.

tinman

Very Senior Member
i see quite a few cattle's backs clipped at the marts now, a few years ago it was a rare enuf sight, they say its a good job, healthier for the animal, a lot more cows have it done too, used to be only bulls and bullocks that had it done.
do you clip yours?
is it a benefit overall?

i see quite a few cattle's backs clipped at the marts now, a few years ago it was a rare enuf sight, they say its a good job, healthier for the animal, a lot more cows have it done too, used to be only bulls and bullocks that had it done.
do you clip yours?
is it a benefit overall?

we would clip there backs if we were dosing with a pour on but that would be about the height of it, would it have any other benefits?

we would clip there backs if we were dosing with a pour on but that would be about the height of it, would it have any other benefits?
i think that is its only benifit, as in the pour on works better, still thats not a bad plan either.

they say it stops them from sweating too.

i think that is its only benifit, as in the pour on works better, still thats not a bad plan either.

they say it stops them from sweating too.

yea on realy heavy cattle it might help, remember doing a black heifer years ago in the summer, she was being kept for a bbq.

do you clip yours?
is it a benefit overall?

I prefer to wax mine:thumbup1:

No I remember reading that its something done to stop them overheating. I think it was researched in Scotland but I/Google cant find anything now.

we used to do it all the cattle they got there bags tail back and head clipped , used to do them in the self locking feed barrier yokes and i dont miss it 1 bit apart from the heads i did it all myself cant tell you how much fun it was doing heifers bags :001_rolleyes:needless to say i was more stubborn than them rarly did they try to kick me a second time :whistling:.
bags and tails were worth while clipping , not so sure about fully grown cows needing there back clipped but the idea was if they did sweat the sweat would evaporate quicker where as a hairy cow the sweat would stick in the hair longer risking the cow getting a chill . personally dont think it would bother a fully grown cow but a calf it might make a difference ,
we clipped there heads purely for the look :001_rolleyes:

I clip young stock all over once or twice, the cows get their tails done and sometimes their bellies if they are long or scruffy/dirty.

Back