Combicrop

To be honest I tried to get it whole cropped when it lodged but it just didn`t work out and then was to far advanced .

The man that sowed it looked at it June- July and said a three tone plus crop but it was flattened in late July maybe harvested two and a half cut at 14 % moisture l turned it twice .rolled it as I used it this past week I added maze and pulp nuts to it I ordered seed yesterday
Unbelievable surely youd be please with that no? 2.5 ton almost guaranteed without disease risk and low fert input?? I'd be happy with that.

No straight spring barley ,it lodged badly last year after a deluge of rain and the combine man said he never wanted to see that stuff again . I only disked ley ,two runs simba then my own romelco .The combicrop in first ley went down last year and spring barley first ley went down this year went down ,this was then cut as whole crop silage . I `m playing with the idea of combicrop as a second in rotation next spring .Also while on such the contractor who cut the whole crop silage recommended winter triticale no sprays needed any thoughts?

No straight spring barley ,it lodged badly last year after a deluge of rain and the combine man said he never wanted to see that stuff again . I only disked ley ,two runs simba then my own romelco .The combicrop in first ley went down last year and spring barley first ley went down this year went down ,this was then cut as whole crop silage . I `m playing with the idea of combicrop as a second in rotation next spring .Also while on such the contractor who cut the whole crop silage recommended winter triticale no sprays needed any thoughts?
Winter triticale is very tall and gets filthy with rust and mildew and is all straw, I’d stay clear of it.

Spring triticale ?

To whole crop , or combine ?

I gave never seen triticale , but have asked about it to various tillage men . Nearly all said it was ideal for whole cropping , but grew too tall , and hence prone to lodging , to leave until fit to combine.

It would be a crop that would do well in "Hungry " ground .

Triticale use to be easy to grow back when Opus team was available.
Now I would consider 6 row winter barley as the best option.
Spray off grass now, plough, roll, lime, till & sow, spread some 0-10-20, more K in early spring, 120 units+ N, depending on how good the sod was, 2 Fungicides and wholecrop early, reseed and back grazing in Sep.

Last edited:
This is the first time and only because the barley lodged ,I have only just started feeding it to the finishing cattle .There is a lot of bulk off the 13 ac. field , a mate of mine grows winter wheat and picks his best field for whole cropping he says he nearly cries to see it going trough the forage harvester ,he is fattening fr bulls . I had a good first cut but grazed the second cut ,if fert ever decreases in price and a normal growing season then grass all the way .

Triticale use to be easy to grow back when Opus team was available.
Now I would consider 6 row winter barley as the best option.
Spray off grass now, plough, roll, lime, till & sow, spread some 0-10-20, more K in early spring, 120 units+ depending on how good the sod was, 2 Fungicides and wholecrop early, reseed and back grazing in Sep.
Spot on except there is not a bag of 0-10-20 or 0-7-30 tonne got and unlikely be got next year…..

Spot on except there is not a bag of 0-10-20 or 0-7-30 tonne got and unlikely be got next year…..
A man rang me on Thursday asking would I take delivery of 10 tonne of 0-10-20 . I had actually forgotten I had placed an order for it . I was going to put it where the Winter Wheat is going but another lad turned up and spread 2.5K gallons of cattle slurry on it . He wanted the 0-10-20 out of his yard so he could tell people he had none in the yard . The chances are he will want to be paid for it next month as will the tanker man but he leaves it for 20 months before he comes looking for five figure sums .

Back