Combines

Was that an older axial flow machine down the Belgooly way? A friend of mine had one at one point and while I didn't see it working, I do have a recollection of him saying that it was hard on straw.
There is another axial flow machine, of the 1996/1997 vintage that is still in captivity around the Macroom area. I understand it's owner did some sort of modification to rear of the combine, in the form of a hydraulically driven conveyor at the rear of the machine, but I will try and find out some more about it. From what I am told, it is an Irish machine from new, out of Atkins in Midleton. It worked in its early days, around the plains of East Cork.
The one in belgooly you probably thinking of JC? Farmer John he be known as locally.

Last edited:
Have never heard him called that.
What my old lad and neighbours be calling him anyways. Idk the reason why either. its odd as i dont think anyone has enough fingers to count how many john's they know that are farmers. He had a couple herron silage trailers. We have one, a friend of my old lad got the other.

Last edited:
Very few Case combines were sold over the years locally. I only ever remember knew of 4 around and I believe this is now down to 2. I was always under the impression that the Axial Flow system mangled the straw. I remember watching a demo Case IH 7230 Axial Flow working alongside 2 Lexions in a decent crop Winter Wheat and a tillage farmer who was also the watching commenting on how small the swath of straw was from 7230 compared to the 2 Lexions. First straw swath in the fore ground of the photo below is from the Case and the one behind that is from a lexion. Impressive machine to be fair

DSC_7376.jpg

The one in belgooly you probably thinking of JC? Farmer John he be known as locally.
Those would be the right initials. Did the man you are thinking of, own a Moffet MFT and a JCB Fastrac, at one point? He is not doing as much tillage, as in former times, having concentrated on dairy farming.

Was the TC not based on the Laverda/Fiatagri. Rodney Cowle in England always seems to have a selection of them.

The NH combines branded as TL were yellow Laverdas. Not many in the UK but you see the very odd TL58i,

Back