Combines

WBD machinery have one similar, 1k hours, 2005 model. I doubt it's as cheap, looks a lovely machine.
That’s the ad that got me thinking a bit about it. Looks a lovely clean machine but the Brazilian origin would concern me. I may be wrong though, as I don’t know anyone that has owned one of those to ask about their reliability.
I would have a similar reluctance about Sampo models.

That’s the ad that got me thinking a bit about it. Looks a lovely clean machine but the Brazilian origin would concern me. I may be wrong though, as I don’t know anyone that has owned one of those to ask about their reliability.
I would have a similar reluctance about Sampo models.

A neighbour here has a 1450. Gets plenty of bother with it but he wouldn’t be the handiest with machinery

I’m not up to date with combines but I do a lot of reading about them, I have often read that them 1450’s were based on a 1177 jd but we’re completely unreliable compared to the 1177 supposed to be hard to shift them

Just throwing a question out there to ye lads who are far better up on combine models than I would be.
If one was to start with the following criteria for a smallish farmers combine what make, models specs would fit the bill. This is very early days and I could deal in 3 months or be still thinking in 12 or 24 months time. Budget may move up or down a little also for the right one as this will be once in 20 year purchase or longer.
Just trying to focus the mind on what to be on the lookout for and pass away a few nights over the winter having a look.
Budget €50k
Year 2005 upwards.
JD, Deutz, or Claas.
4 or 5 Walker
Header width 14ft ideal will fit into shed without removing it.
Optional 16ft due to scarcity of 14’s
Don’t want to go up to 18ft
Hydro transmission
Straw chopper
Grain loss monitor
Hoping for engine under 1,500 hrs
Also, any lemons of models within those manufacturers to avoid.
Thanks in advance.
KTM
You might be able to get a Deutz 5660 Hts for the money your talking about. Simple Machine that would last you a lifetime.
I’d be a new Holland Man but a fresh Tx would make 50k now. Might be too much electrics on the CX for a farmer keeping it a long time.

You might be able to get a Deutz 5660 Hts for the money your talking about. Simple Machine that would last you a lifetime.
I’d be a new Holland Man but a fresh Tx would make 50k now. Might be too much electrics on the CX for a farmer keeping it a long time.
I can't understand the issue with electronic components, very few halfway modern setups are unreliable and are often cheaper to fix than mechanical

Whatever you look at anyway make sure the header is in good nick. Big heavy bearings, tight chains, a nice shine on the belts, sharp fresh sections, tines you could comb a mares hair with, new fingers with a tight little gap for them sections, Jesus is it getting hot on this forum :smitten:

I think 5660 will be every bit as expensive as a similar condition 5690. Stephensons had a 6040 Deutz advertised, also advertised by a north Kilkenny dealer, may be within budget.

Just throwing a question out there to ye lads who are far better up on combine models than I would be.
If one was to start with the following criteria for a smallish farmers combine what make, models specs would fit the bill. This is very early days and I could deal in 3 months or be still thinking in 12 or 24 months time. Budget may move up or down a little also for the right one as this will be once in 20 year purchase or longer.
Just trying to focus the mind on what to be on the lookout for and pass away a few nights over the winter having a look.
Budget €50k
Year 2005 upwards.
JD, Deutz, or Claas.
4 or 5 Walker
Header width 14ft ideal will fit into shed without removing it.
Optional 16ft due to scarcity of 14’s
Don’t want to go up to 18ft
Hydro transmission
Straw chopper
Grain loss monitor
Hoping for engine under 1,500 hrs
Also, any lemons of models within those manufacturers to avoid.
Thanks in advance.
KTM
Eoin kearney would definitely be worth a ring and tell him your story and what your after and see what he comes up with. They are only over the road from you, keeping it local for Harvest service would be a big factor for me anyway.

I do wonder if you weren’t going far on the road or had all the grain at home around your own farm would a person be better off going for a tx66 68 or whatever other brand equvilant. The 5 Walker machines seem to be a much dearer machine but I suppose they are so much easier to move, but if you weren’t moving much the 6 walkers seem good value

Thanks for the replies.
@nashmach and @Claas Grass I agree with both of you that the small New Holland are not a bad option. My only issue is that I have never stood in a Ford/ New Holland dealers yard, likewise my father never had anything of theirs.
I am now contradicting the above by admitting the same about Claas dealers but I really like the Avero, it would be a good fit for my set up but they are very scarce second hand.
My number 1 choice would be the Deere as there would be some common aspects to what I am used to. Drawback being, smaller models are rebadged as stated above. Correct me if I’m wrong but W540 is the smallest one made by JD themselves. It would be a bit big and probably above budget.
My second choice would be Deutz mainly due to proximity to dealer with great reputation for combines. I have had some dealings with them. My biggest issue before calling to them @Blackwater boy is that I have trouble following the Deutz model numbering system. So if anyone can advise on model numbers to match my spec above. Thanks @Blue Ray for your tips on that front, I will do a bit of Googling of those. I have read previously of a bad one which has short walkers, must look up that again to avoid that model.
Thanks for the advice, keep em coming as this will be a slow process, I don’t usually make my mind up too quickly.

Last edited:
I do wonder if you weren’t going far on the road or had all the grain at home around your own farm would a person be better off going for a tx66 68 or whatever other brand equvilant. The 5 Walker machines seem to be a much dearer machine but I suppose they are so much easier to move, but if you weren’t moving much the 6 walkers seem good value
My total road mileage is less than 3 miles per year. Yes I agree loads of 6 Walker machines available but I have a limited amount of shed space, some of the older ones are huge.

Thanks for the replies.
@nashmach and @Claas Grass I agree with both of you that the small New Holland are not a bad option. My only issue is that I have never stood in a Ford/ New Holland dealers yard, likewise my father never had anything of theirs.
I am now contradicting the above by admitting the same about Claas dealers but I really like the Avero, it would be a good fit for my set up but they are very scarce second hand.
My number 1 choice would be the Deere as there would be some common aspects to what I am used to. Drawback being, smaller models are rebadged as stated above. Correct me if I’m wrong but W540 is the smallest one made by JD themselves. It would be a bit big and probably above budget.
My second choice would be Deutz mainly due to proximity to dealer with great reputation for combines. I have had some dealings with them. My biggest issue before calling to them @Blackwater boy is that I have trouble following the Deutz model numbering system. So if anyone can advise on model numbers to match my spec above. Thanks @Blue Ray for your tips on that front, I will do a bit of Googling of those. I have read previously of a bad one which has short walkers, must look up that again to avoid that model.
Thanks for the advice, keep em coming as this will be a slow process, I don’t usually make my mind up too quickly.

That's a 4075 with the short walkers around 1995, avoid if you can. Later ones were a great combine.

I dont think you will get an Avero within that budget.

I'm not sure what Claas had out before them. Something telling me they had a gap for a while between the Dominator 58/68 and the Averos.

Hard to know what exactly you will get for 50k with 1500 hours. Is it 50 plus or incl vat? The deutz models would be 4040,4060, 5660 or 6040 but I’d be sceptical of getting 1 with those hours for that money tho.

I dont think you will get an Avero within that budget.

I'm not sure what Claas had out before them. Something telling me they had a gap for a while between the Dominator 58/68 and the Averos.
Tucano wasn't it, hardly get a low-houred one for that kind of money though

Back