Commercial Jeep insurance

Cjmc

Hi all.
Car insurance is up the end of the month.
Thinking about getting rid of the car and buying a crew cab pickup to do both as a car and for around the farm, vw amarok is the front runner at the moment.
Anyone here done something similar in getting rid of the car and buying a crew cab to do both jobs?
What has price of insurance been like and who are you insured with?
Thanks

I think you may want to proceed with caution. More so from a tax perspective rather than insurance.

I'm assuming you want to tax it as a commercial even though most of It's mileage is personal. :scratchhead:

I know there was a tighten up on this in the past few years.

2 crewcabs here. Ins is around the 800 mark each fully comp open drive. Road tax is cheaper then a good sized car but you loose on the double with fuel.

2 crewcabs here. Ins is around the 800 mark each fully comp open drive. Road tax is cheaper then a good sized car but you loose on the double with fuel.
Do ya mind me askin who ye are insured with?
Quotes I'm getting are well over the 1000 mark.
Thanks

Fbd have an automatic no claims added so they usually come in cheaper that the rest. Crewcab here is 800 everyone else quoted over 1000

Fbd went down from 700 to 550 for us this year. Had shopped around and would have changed if they hadn't matched. The 550 quote was from a broker.

From personal experience you will insure a car for less, road tax may also be less.

Ya an suv type thing with low tax.

Aye, if you don't need the towing capacity and have 15k or so to spend theres a good few yokes will pull 2 tonne, cost 3-600 in tax, 50 euro test every two years, cheaper toll, insurance and mpg.

Put a set of all terrain tyres on and they'll do so much of what you need for a lot less to run.

Only if you're pulling weight do you need a truck

Fbd went down from 700 to 550 for us this year. Had shopped around and would have changed if they hadn't matched. The 550 quote was from a broker.
The same thing happened with my wife a month ago. They quoted her €506 on the renewal she got on them and said she wasn’t prepared to pay it. Straight away they dropped it to €350. FBD as well.

Crew cabs are an area revenue are looking at very closely for the last few years, if you are farming in a company be very cautious as benefit in kind can be very expensive if you're audited. I forget the figures but it ruled it out for me, I thought it would be a handy second car for school runs etc but it was far cheaper to buy and run a small car privately.

I think you may want to proceed with caution. More so from a tax perspective rather than insurance.

I'm assuming you want to tax it as a commercial even though most of It's mileage is personal. :scratchhead:

I know there was a tighten up on this in the past few years.

Crew cabs are an area revenue are looking at very closely for the last few years, if you are farming in a company be very cautious as benefit in kind can be very expensive if you're audited. I forget the figures but it ruled it out for me, I thought it would be a handy second car for school runs etc but it was far cheaper to buy and run a small car privately.

The regulations with regard to commercial road tax for crew cabs are very tight, I posted a copy of them a while back, if they were being followed to the letter very few farmers would have an entitlement to tax a crew cab commercially. BUT, are these regulations being enforced?

The regulations with regard to commercial road tax for crew cabs are very tight, I posted a copy of them a while back, if they were being followed to the letter very few farmers would have an entitlement to tax a crew cab commercially. BUT, are these regulations being enforced?
Laois Co Co are very strict on it anyway. If you don't tick the boxes they won't give out commerical tax.

But can You go ahead and tick the boxes without having an actual entitlement?
If your not Vat registered or employ a minimum of 3 people full time (I think it's 3) or you haven't a company then they won't accept a crew cab for commerical tax. Their even gone sticky with standard 2 seater 4x4's on the tax.

The renewal for my land cruiser came out from liberty 930 fully comp i think its a bit steep must ring around that open drive 10 years no claims.

I'm only asking this because I drive a small van which I tax privately, because, according to the regulations, I don't have an entitlement to tax it commercially. A few people have mocked Me for being an eegit doing this, they say just sign the declaration and there is never a problem. BTW I've no problem personally paying the private tax rate, but I see lots of people driving crew cabs and indeed small commercials who IMO wouldn't have an entitlement to commercial rate of road tax if the regulations were enforced.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago some ethnic minoritys were trying to get commercial tax on their vans in tullamore and when they explained to them that they needed a vat number or herd number they got bold and ganged around d counters and when d guards were called they simply told d council employees that there was nothing they could do and d only way to get rid of them off d property was to let them tax d vans commercially. If any of us done that wed get in serious bother

A couple of years ago some ethnic minoritys were trying to get commercial tax on their vans in tullamore and when they explained to them that they needed a vat number or herd number they got bold and ganged around d counters and when d guards were called they simply told d council employees that there was nothing they could do and d only way to get rid of them off d property was to let them tax d vans commercially. If any of us done that wed get in serious bother

They actually tax their vans :scared: I had thought being an ethnic minority they'd be exempt from tax and insurance.
On a serious note if those people are allowed tax their vehicles commercially then all citizens should be allowed the same privilege, otherwise it's reverse discrimination.

They actually tax their vans :scared: I had thought being an ethnic minority they'd be exempt from tax and insurance.
On a serious note if those people are allowed tax their vehicles commercially then all citizens should be allowed the same privilege, otherwise it's reverse discrimination.
It's certainly not equality thats for sure

A few of them learnt that when they get d vans took off them for no tax intimidation doesnt get it back

I am reasonably friendly.with one of said ethnic minority , and he has to try and buy a freshly tested crew cab , due to not being able to tax it himself . He is driving a 2012 L200 now . Had a 09 B2500 Mazda before.that .

I also know a fellow . Retired from a good job . No vat no nor herd no . Buys ex demo crew cab taxed and leaves it in garages name , for th same reason.

Back