Concrete silage walls.

No I don’t put up a sheet,I did before and it was all getting caught in the silage then bringing it in .

Yes there is a pipe about 12” in from the wall .

Yes the rain water runs down the walls and when the pit shrinks it could drop 2 or 3 feet below the wall l,and then the silage is sour.
please dont take this the wrong way but if theres no side sheets dont expect anything much better than dung
get side sheets tied up properly and they wont get pulled in

Ya that’s more or less sums it up headcase alright !
How do I tie up side sheets properly ?..
They need to be tight against the wall
Any slack will get caught in the grass
Are your pits against a shed or can you put the sheet right over a wall

Ya that’s more or less sums it up headcase alright !
How do I tie up side sheets properly ?..
Fold it over the wall and tie it down on the other with a tyre or something get the loader driver when 1st load of grass comes in to put a sprong up against the sheet here and there and away you go.

Or if it's against a shed tie a rope ffing tight as high as you can and fold the sheet over that

Get up and look at the hollows in the top of the pit.
If one hasn't got water in.....

Can I ask a faver.
Draw a cross section of your pit showing your sheeting

We have no side sheets, what could help is have the sides of the pit higher than the middle so water will flow to the centre rather than the sides on its way down.

Reactions: AYF
I am having a problem here with wet silage by the walls and the cattle won’t eat it am I doing something wrong or does any 1 else have this problem ??
I know I posted before about it but it’s a pain in the ass .
Is it getting wet as you work through the pit or has the water being getting in since the pit was made, are you feeding from the ramp end so it may be running to the walls as you work back the pit ? , any bit of taint and stock will reject it.

The water has been going down the side of the walls since the pit was made or shortley after I would imagine .
That’s it the silage that’s 2 feet in from the wall is yellow and sour,sure cattle can’t be expected to eat that .

There is bars on our walls so not too easy to put plastic over them then .
Loop the polythene over the wall and leave a sauage bag or sand bag sitting on top of the wall.ya can loop it around the legs of the barrier.its not the handiest putting the cover up on your own though

The water has been going down the side of the walls since the pit was made or shortley after I would imagine .
That’s it the silage that’s 2 feet in from the wall is yellow and sour,sure cattle can’t be expected to eat that .
You need a wall sheet going down almost to the floor that you can fold in 10 ft or so under the cover. Weigh it with sandbags along the wall when covering.

How quick is your pit being filled and compacted. Does your contractor arrive and fill the pit in a few hours. A properly compacted pit will not sink or shrink. Some people will do a good job at keeping a pit level but neglect compacting it so when they are gone it shrinks .
Liaise with your contractor and tell him what you want done. It is not your problem if he is in a rush.

Reactions: Paw
Better still you be rolling on the pit with your tractor or shovel on one side of pit when grass is going in on the other and still out of the way..our buck doesnt mind as the grass comes in to quick for him to roll.meadows all round to one side of the yard.it keeps it from getting out of control and better in the long run

If it's both sides and all the way then there is very little you can do by now.

Perhaps putting it through a mixer wagon with some nice silage and molasses?

Next year lap the sheet over the walls and make sure it stays over if you aren't going to use a side sheet.

Not sure how much good your pipe will do either, literally piping air in to the silage.

Is this the same pit with the fall on the floor the wrong way ?

Good points there.no this is the pit beside that 1 .
You see the first and maybe biggest problem we have is that the silage pits are too big for what goes into them,if they were smaller and going well up over the walls at filling maybe it would be a big help i Dunno?

Then we have the pit with the fall back in it,

Do any of the have this problem with wet/sour silage by the walls ?..

Good points there.no this is the pit beside that 1 .
You see the first and maybe biggest problem we have is that the silage pits are too big for what goes into them,if they were smaller and going well up over the walls at filling maybe it would be a big help i Dunno?

Then we have the pit with the fall back in it,

Do any of the have this problem with wet/sour silage by the walls ?..
only if theres a hole in the sheet...

How were the old 'C' type panels lifted into place?
Anyone have a picture or drawing of the bracket?
Want to strip down an old pit before long.

Back