concrete wall panels

Looking at a project in my garden.
Currently have an earth bank in front of the house with a slope down to the field. Lets say 1m high

I need to do something with it as it looks a mess. Have tried growing shrubs on it, but it's location means the wind just knocks anything and I wind up with weeds and a lot of striming.

One plan is to dig it back, make a retaining wall from panels, then face them with stone.
Leaving room for the garden mower to go between the stone facing and the fence.

Can panels be faced?
Presume I'd need to drill ties in to the panel to support the wall?

Or am I as well to just build a concrete and stone retaining wall?

I see L shaped panels, seconds,, about 1m high, advertised for reasonable enough money. They would be ideal.
Would Gabion baskets suit for that job. They'll do the two jobs, stone faced and retaining wall.

Would Gabion baskets suit for that job. They'll do the two jobs, stone faced and retaining wall.
I see what you mean.
If the wires could be hidden perhaps. But I think personally they'd be too industrial looking in front of the house.

I see what you mean.
If the wires could be hidden perhaps. But I think personally they'd be too industrial looking in front of the house.
If the ground is sloping away from the house you wouldn't see the gabion baskets once it was back filled and some soil spread over the tops. Would make for a fancy house having a haha at the end of the lawn, no fence to distract from to view to open fields.

If the ground is sloping away from the house you wouldn't see the gabion baskets once it was back filled and some soil spread over the tops. Would make for a fancy house having a haha at the end of the lawn, no fence to distract from to view to open fields.
Yep see what you mean.
It's the view toward the house I'm more after maintaining tbh.

It is a slight HaHa but not quite as the bank slopes down to each side.
House is built on a slope, so the front is higher off the ground than the back. I raised the earth in front of the big bay windows, then down eith side into the garden.
Plan is a patio on the top too.
Must find a pic to demonstrate!

Yep see what you mean.
It's the view toward the house I'm more after maintaining tbh.

It is a slight HaHa but not quite as the bank slopes down to each side.
House is built on a slope, so the front is higher off the ground than the back. I raised the earth in front of the big bay windows, then down eith side into the garden.
Plan is a patio on the top too.
Must find a pic to demonstrate!
Seen these guys work before and quite like it

Reactions: AYF
Not sure how you have faired since lasy post but these guys worth a call https://www.wright.ie/product/prestressed-wall-panels/
The resin should be a far better job especially near the edge of a panel or slab. It puts no expansion pressure on the hole. Have used some amount of resin over the years in tricky situations. A lad borrowed the gun and the tail end of tube in it years ago to fix some threaded fitting on an ancient ride on mower, it was delighted when it held. He brought the mower in for welding but that ship had sailed :blink:

On the subject of condrete panels . Say you have a space between to shed pillars of 20ft how much short of 20ft would you want the panel`s made so they can be easliy fitted in place and be able to be removed as easy aswell .

On the subject of condrete panels . Say you have a space between to shed pillars of 20ft how much short of 20ft would you want the panel`s made so they can be easliy fitted in place and be able to be removed as easy aswell .
I assume your trying to slide them between pillars, it will depend on the size of the pillar mainly, what is the current price of a 6" panel per sq mtr?

Anytime I got panels you gave them an accurate measurement from web to web and the size of the pillar and they work it out what is the max length that will fight in tightly, loose fitting panels are a dangerous thing to have if they get a nudge at all they can fall

Havent priced anyone for panel`s . Have a straw bedded shed here and a 20ft x 2ft panel under the gate to keep the straw in is all im after . If it could be left there i`d just shutter a stub wall and be done with it but has to be removeable . Was just wondering was there a set amount you`d take off your mearurement to make them easy to fit / remove . I`ll make up the panel here have mesh and rebar left over from the last tank that was poured here and simple frame will do as the shutter .
I assume your trying to slide them between pillars, it will depend on the size of the pillar mainly, what is the current price of a 6" panel per sq mtr?

Anytime I got panels you gave them an accurate measurement from web to web and the size of the pillar and they work it out what is the max length that will fight in tightly, loose fitting panels are a dangerous thing to have if they get a nudge at all they can fall

I really like the sound of that. If I'm reading it right, it basically means a return of over 2% (unless you're on a tracker) net of tax on liquid money. I have approval in principal for a switch to a different lender which I'll probably go ahead with out of laziness but if I'd known about that facility I'd have been all over PTSB.

A lot of lads above are saying that present mortgage rates mean that mortgage loans are cheap money which maybe they are but it's worth remembering that they have to be cleared with after tax money so *if* you have spare cash *and* you're a top rate tax payer *and* you don't have any (present or anticipated) real need for liquid funds, paying off a chunk of your mortgage is often the best of a bad lot as investment opportunities go.

Havent priced anyone for panel`s . Have a straw bedded shed here and a 20ft x 2ft panel under the gate to keep the straw in is all im after . If it could be left there i`d just shutter a stub wall and be done with it but has to be removeable . Was just wondering was there a set amount you`d take off your mearurement to make them easy to fit / remove . I`ll make up the panel here have mesh and rebar left over from the last tank that was poured here and simple frame will do as the shutter .
i use timbers for that job here, easy slot them in on your own. 3" each time.

Price a standard 20ft x 4ft panel and just chop it down the length with a still saw!
Make a bracket for lifting.
Done a few to make concrete feed barriers here.

Back