Converting cattle slats for Sheep

Ashill5

Looking for advice on how i could convert a cattle slats so i could use it for ewes this winter before lambing.

I know some people just roll a bale of straw over the slats and that works ok for them.

But looking for other options ions

Easy fix slay mats . Heard of it done so cattle slats could be used for calves . Use oversized mats to narrow the gap in the slats .
Looking for advice on how i could convert a cattle slats so i could use it for ewes this winter before lambing.

I know some people just roll a bale of straw over the slats and that works ok for them.

But looking for other options ions

Do you want it to work as a slatt or a bedded shed? If you want to use it as a bedded shed I have an idea.

Find a box size that will fit in the hole in the slat and weld a piece of flat either end to hold them up.

Do you want it to work as a slatt or a bedded shed? If you want to use it as a bedded shed I have an idea.

Find a box size that will fit in the hole in the slat and weld a piece of flat either end to hold them up.
I was hoping to keeping it as a slatted tank, so i will look into that.
Thanks.

rebar works well and leaves a gap to allow for drainage, make up in sections and easy to lift out when needed.

Last edited:
I was hoping to keeping it as a slatted tank, so i will look into that.
Thanks.
I wonder would expanded mettle mesh work just laying on top of the slats?
Above the slats would fill up, but would the rest work its way ito the tank?

Or even just raised up on battens running across the gaps.

Back