Cornflowers

gone

I tried to grow cornflowers, direct drilling them into winter barley stubble with chopped straw. A big mistake, the mat of straw acted as a mulch and killed all the cornflowers and all other seedlings as well.
Only a few cornflowers grew were the drill double tilled the ground on the overlap at the top and bottom headlands.
IMG_20170412_161134.jpg IMG_20170412_161125.jpg IMG_20170412_161125.jpg IMG_20170412_161121.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170412_161110.jpg
    IMG_20170412_161110.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 2
Winter wheat in 11/12, followed by WOSR (complete failure allowing poppies flourish and http://www.wildflowers.ie/ bought the seed) in 12/13, followed by Winter Barley in 13/14, followed by Poppies (deliberately grown this time) in 14/15, followed by Winter Barley in 15/16, followed by my attempts to grow cornflowers this year

There won't be many able to beat that for diversity!

The Gordon roller is a lovely roller too.

We may put a ring of steel around Ballon . How do you call out the FCA .

I see why you think it might be Blackgrass but to be honest I'm not convinced it is. Granted it has lots of space but it looks a bit strong to be that weed. Any blackgrass I've come across (Ive seen 3 Irish cases) also seems to be more slender and more well tillered than that.

It's hard to get exact scale looking at the picture. A proper diagnosis by a local professional would be advisable. Sooner rather than later before @Bog Man calls in a drone strike.

I see why you think it might be Blackgrass but to be honest I'm not convinced it is. Granted it has lots of space but it looks a bit strong to be that weed. Any blackgrass I've come across (Ive seen 3 Irish cases) also seems to be more slender and more well tillered than that.

It's hard to get exact scale looking at the picture. A proper diagnosis by a local professional would be advisable. Sooner rather than later before @Bog Man calls in a drone strike.
It looks too robust and short to me.
I will rogue and the field is going to get a graminicide.

It looks too robust and short to me.
I will rogue and the field is going to get a graminicide.

Also, just thinking that any BG that I've seen wouldn't have been eared out by now.

are there many plants of it there? If wild flowers were planted then it could have come with them.

are there many plants of it there? If wild flowers were planted then it could have come with them.
I only found one, wild flower seed per se was not sown. I sowed Cornflowers but mixed it with old grass seed I had left lying around, the Cornflowers were grown from a few hand picked plants so I doubt it was in them. Either way I will hand rogue that plant and the field will be sprayed.

Back