Corolla 1.4 D4D 2007 or 2008

mfield

I'm looking to buy a 07 or 08 diesel Corolla. Is there anything in particular to look out for on them?

Sorry mfield, I shouldn't be as brief as above.

I think that year is the new shape isn't it and after the Auris was introduced.

Most that I know that have/had one had issues with the DMF. It seems to be a very common problem with them.

That's allright - it's exactly the meaning I took from your post. I've already done a solid flywheel conversion on my Avensis and I'm resigned to doing the same on a Corolla at some point.

On our third Corolla the first being a '07, didn't have them long enough for the DMF issue to rear it's head, only issue we had with the '07 one was resonance noise in the dash on some road surfaces, they pulled it apart and packed in some anti rattle foam which cured it, good on fuel if driven sensibly capable of 60+ mpg, the present 142 doesn't feel as lively and a bit heavier on fuel despite being 6 speed.

Had a 08 auris and put 400k km on it until it was traded this year against my Mrs' car. I inherited her Renault. It's no toyota I tell ya. I never had to put a part into my Auris other than a little bulb for the airbag. It would have been built on the same platform as the corolla - same engine, transmission, etc. Never an issue with DMF of DPF. It was hard on rear brake pads if anything, but then again, that might be down to the driver. Miser on diesel. Loads of space inside.

Only fault that I would tell you to look for is dampness in the boot. Corollas and Auris' manufactured before 08 had an issue with the seals around the rear lights and they let in water. Some were replaced under warranty. Mine got a tube of silicone. But check under the carpet in the boot to be sure that yours was done.

Had a 08 auris and put 400k km on it until it was traded this year against my Mrs' car. I inherited her Renault. It's no toyota I tell ya. I never had to put a part into my Auris other than a little bulb for the airbag. It would have been built on the same platform as the corolla - same engine, transmission, etc. Never an issue with DMF of DPF. It was hard on rear brake pads if anything, but then again, that might be down to the driver. Miser on diesel. Loads of space inside.

Only fault that I would tell you to look for is dampness in the boot. Corollas and Auris' manufactured before 08 had an issue with the seals around the rear lights and they let in water. Some were replaced under warranty. Mine got a tube of silicone. But check under the carpet in the boot to be sure that yours was done.

Where does the water get in mucky, must check my 06!!

You didn't do too bad with the Auris so then @ 400,000 kms :Thumbp2:
The Renault wouldn't do have of that without issues. Soft aul yolks.

You didn't do too bad with the Auris so then @ 400,000 kms :Thumbp2:
The Renault wouldn't do have of that without issues. Soft aul yolks.

Well there's 300k on it now with only a brake caliper gone into it so we'll see how it goes for the next 100k

I'm doing about 2,500 kms a month so approx half in the week of what you do weekly. It don't be long racking up.

We try to keeproduce 1 good car with reasonable low mileage and then 1 that we drive till its not economically viable anymore.

How much is a clutch for a Corolla roughly lads?

Sneaky suspicions that the one here is on the way out :sweat:

How much is a clutch for a Corolla roughly lads?

Sneaky suspicions that the one here is on the way out :sweat:

Few hundred I'd say Nash. The genuine kit for the Landcruiser was very reasonable I thought. Just pulled out the invoice and got it for €340 less VAT. Bit of discount there too as I know the Parts Manager :Thumbp2: Go on & bust open the piggy bank. The genuine kit may be better value than spurious.

Few hundred I'd say Nash. The genuine kit for the Landcruiser was very reasonable I thought. Just pulled out the invoice and got it for €340 less VAT. Bit of discount there too as I know the Parts Manager :Thumbp2: Go on & bust open the piggy bank. The genuine kit may be better value than spurious.

Thanks for that Michael, not too bad so.

Bit disappointing that it only has 160k kms on the clock.

Thanks for that Michael, not too bad so.

Bit disappointing that it only has 160k kms on the clock.

There was an offer too the time hence why I got it at that price. Not sure what it is now. That is only 100,000 miles after which is small for a corolla :scratchhead:
Our VW Bora left here with nearly 150,000 miles and still on the 1st day clutch.

There was an offer too the time hence why I got it at that price. Not sure what it is now. That is only 100,000 miles after which is small for a corolla :scratchhead:
Our VW Bora left here with nearly 150,000 miles and still on the 1st day clutch.

I'd say the city driving hasn't helped and the person that had it before me had a very low mpg figure so perhaps it had a good bit of town driving as well.

Maybe I'm being paranoid but will get it checked out with my mechanic.

Never done a clutch on any car or van I've had yet. Including near 400k on a Renault Master van and it had a good share of all types of roads driven and a good few other vans towed home in the evenings :oops2:

Back