cost of sheep fencing

indecisive sort

ive only ever carried out my own fencing but plan to apply under the TAMS scheme before end of january , was wondering what might be a rough estimate as regards cost per metre ? ( would not do the fencing myself )

hope to do about two thousand metres as i plan to increase sheep numbers in the next number of years

Contractor around here chargers around 1.50/1.80 euro a meter including vat for sheep fencing he brings a 10 ton track machine and a post driver the farmer supplies all materials wire posts and staples.

Would you not give it a go yourself? I've over 6km sheep fencing done under tams the last 3 years and another 2km in the pipeline hopefully, and when putting it up yourself you get paid for your own time. It makes it very worthwhile. Will you be receiving a 60 or 40% grant? Do your homework on the posts you use anyways, and make sure all the strainers come with tags and certs for the bales of intermediate posts.

Would you not give it a go yourself? I've over 6km sheep fencing done under tams the last 3 years and another 2km in the pipeline hopefully, and when putting it up yourself you get paid for your own time. It makes it very worthwhile. Will you be receiving a 60 or 40% grant? Do your homework on the posts you use anyways, and make sure all the strainers come with tags and certs for the bales of intermediate posts.

Broke six ribs during the summer, doing well but can't do too much pulling and dragging

This will be a hired contractor job

by the way , anyone know how i might get access to an area aid map in order to mark out area for fencing ? , threw away what arrived in the post last spring , logged onto online account and clicked on land details and then map but the map presented is not the same as what i received through post earlier in the year

cant delete the above but ignore it , issue of map sorted

Last edited:
I will be looking to do the same shortly. Where have folks sourced fencing materials from and what sort of cost for decent strainers and intermediary posts?

I will be looking to do the same shortly. Where have folks sourced fencing materials from and what sort of cost for decent strainers and intermediary posts?

Tommy Williamson in Enniscorthy. Delivers here in the county. Not sure how far he goes.

Done a good bit of grant fencing the last while, Only two posts to be using imo, octoposts or scanpoles. Both are slow grown Norwegian pine. Octos are meant to have a 25 year plus lifespan and the scanpoles 30 years. The oldest octoposts here are twelve or thirteen years old and their as good as the day they went in. If not using them I'd be looking at clipex.
Thats my take on it anyways. Depending on numbers your probably looking close to forty euro a strainer and 8 euro or so for a 5ft 6 post. Last lot I got were scanpoles of boyle agri in donegal. Not sure where you are but he does deliver down the country I think.

Done a good bit of grant fencing the last while, Only two posts to be using imo, octoposts or scanpoles. Both are slow grown Norwegian pine. Octos are meant to have a 25 year plus lifespan and the scanpoles 30 years. The oldest octoposts here are twelve or thirteen years old and their as good as the day they went in. If not using them I'd be looking at clipex.
Thats my take on it anyways. Depending on numbers your probably looking close to forty euro a strainer and 8 euro or so for a 5ft 6 post. Last lot I got were scanpoles of boyle agri in donegal. Not sure where you are but he does deliver down the country I think.
I've heard those posts are good. What spacings are you using for the intermediate posts?

How do you charge for your own time, is there a set rate?

How do you charge for your own time, is there a set rate?
You get a reference cost per metre and them it depends if its a 60%or 40% grant.normally the material won't add up enough to claim the full grant so that how ya van charge for your own time. Your planner/advisor should be able to do it out for you.

Cow attack, thread about it few months back

Anyway, I've my TAMS application ready to go in , been told it could be oversubscribed however?
Did you you reduce your costing by anything? Last application I done I was told reduce it by 1 or 2 percent and it should get one ove the line if its over subscribed.

Did you you reduce your costing by anything? Last application I done I was told reduce it by 1 or 2 percent and it should get one ove the line if its over subscribed.

Well I reduced the area as when I measured by foot, was a good bit below my original figure, my GLAS planner is doing the paper work, she will know to keep costs down

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/21061836
Irish made Plastic fencing posts

Out of curiosity, has anyone used these? I’ll have some fencing to do probably over the next year or so, pulling scrub around walls, moving walls and dividing up fields. I saw the Clipex and thought it was a good job but looks a small bit light for main boundary fences. I wonder are these a good job?

Got approval for this last Friday, says approved cost is 6427 for 1155 metres of fencing which is sheep mesh with one strand of wire

Seems a lowish figure ?

Rang a contractor, didn't tell him what spend I was approved for ,said he'd give quote in few days

Back