Covid 19

Bencroy

Seen a bit where there was alot of South Americans coming in were woman.article said there was 5k plus came in the last month in total and some were loured into prostitution.
So much for mehole and his rules

bagenal

Well irish people probably wouldn't do the work they are doing. Arentmeat factory workers tested regularly?
My answer probably should be in the politics thread.
I suggest the reason these Brazilians and other non EU people are brought in is because Irish and other EU people won't work for the wages paid to do these jobs and rightly so. Doesn't it say something that these factories have to go outside the EU to source employees?
I think I may have posted this before, back a couple of years ago I was in a waiting room of the dentist and I picked up the Irish Times to read while waiting. On page 2, I think, there was a small enough advertisement looking for people to work in meat plants of one of the big players which offered small enough wages, I'd be wrong to say a figure as I can't rightly remember but it was very little more than the minimum wage.
My thoughts on that advertisement :-
It was placed on that page rather than the employment section to try and hide it and very few would see it and so apply.
Also placed in a newspaper that very few people who would apply for those type of positions would read.
The main reason for the advertisement in my opinion was they didn't want EU people to apply but had to advertise in order to be able to get employment visas for non EU people and they could show/say they had advertised and no suitable people applied thus they need to go outside the EU for employees.
One time they were bringing in eastern Europeans to work for the small wages but these people have cottoned on to the fact they are being blackguarded.
It's not only the farmers these factories are screwing but also the hauliers and the employees in the factories and maybe the truth is that the only reason Irish beef is selling is because it can be sold cheap because of these reasons.
I mentioned a while ago that I was doing a supply chain management course, the lectures, reading material and books on the subject have at their core the concepts of value for the customer, cost saving and other similar concepts aimed at cutting prices and costs. The factories paying the least they can get away with to the farmer, paying low wages etc are the result of these concepts which are taught world wide and people have become professors in this which they call a profession. The result of this doctrine in my view is that peoples income is being cut so that these business can have a market but there will come a point where people won't be able to afford to buy these products and so the vicious circle will continue.

whelan1

There is a minimum wage for a reason. Should everyone not start at the bottom and work their way up. People leaving school expecting massive wages with no experience. Daughter works in local shop. She is 17. Gets just over 7 euro an hour. Does about 12 hours a week at the moment. She is delighted to be getting the money and it means I dont have to pay for everything. On a Sunday there's 3 or 4 the same age as her running the shop. So wages are about 30 euro per hour to have the shop ran well.

avent

Just listening to the news and it seems that hotel quarantine will not take place for a few weeks yet over 6 weeks since it was considered essential, what is wrong with his country that they couldn't act on this with a bit more haste.
Just watching the news there now and the tennis in Australia came up, crowds in the stands distanced and wearing masks but still a crowd. It could be the same here if the government had a back bone

headcase

Very Senior Member
Just watching the news there now and the tennis in Australia came up, crowds in the stands distanced and wearing masks but still a crowd. It could be the same here if the government had a back bone
Surprised that went ahead after someone in the hotel where all players and officials were staying tested positive

nashmach

I don't think there is any ferry to the UK from there at the moment or at least reduced capacity so that could explain it....

Weren't they all sent home 10 days ago when Melbourne went into a snap lockdown?

TAFKAT

I see a few hand-painted signs up around the locality in the last couple of days
"LOCKDOWN KILLS"
"NEW NORMAL ME BOLLOCKS"
"IT SEEMS TO BE MORE ABOUT THE VACCINE THAN THE VIRUS"
Another one I only half saw passing that said something about people's birthright and civil liberties being eroded. I fear the wheels are about to come off rightly, the lack of certainty has taken a serious mental toll on people, and it's the one lesson that hasn't been learned. A bit of a plan would make life a lot easier, "if we have X number of cases per day on Y date then Z will happen". It's not a lot to ask at this stage.

ABlur

Ths waiting on an announcement of any lifting of restrictions is so annoying. Kids off school here today after being off all last week
Tough motivating them for another week/month's homeschooling after the break. My lads sixth class teacher seems to want to keep up with his curriculum as if the kids were in his class. Easily four hours work on Seesaw this morning 😭. Oh I have a full time job as well that doesn't switch off at 2.40pm like the teacher's one does.

Bog Man

Local man gets up a three o clock in the morning and starts feeding and working with cattle until 9 and then helps the children with their school work . If you met him you would not think he would be the type to do it . It is a big yard with maybe 700 or more cattle and a few other enterprises in it as well . Its the sort of place that has 300 ewes and 1000 lambs bought in on rape as a sidline .

Nashty

Local man gets up a three o clock in the morning and starts feeding and working with cattle until 9 and then helps the children with their school work . If you met him you would not think he would be the type to do it . It is a big yard with maybe 700 or more cattle and a few other enterprises in it as well . Its the sort of place that has 300 ewes and 1000 lambs bought in on rape as a sidline .
I was always told that if you wanted someone to do something for you, you should ask a busy man.