Covid 19

Figured this was something that deserved its own thread
It was only ever a matter of time before it hit this island, but now that it’s here, it’s a bit of a worry..
Storm in a teacup. I had reason this week to speak in depth to health personal in the emergency services and I asked them about the virus in question and the first 4 words are what they said. The flu kills many more people every year but that won't sell newspapers. Granted it is a concern but not the armageddon the media are trying to pedal.

The health system Can't cope with the winter flu, which occurs at roughly the same time every year affecting the same number of people, I wouldn't be confident of the ability to deal with this if it affects big numbers of people.

An Irish consultant on infectious diseases more or less said this on RTE radio yesterday morning.

It’s the one year that I was well organised- holiday to France booked and paid for since November....

I’ll see how things go.

If everyone observed the basic rules of hygiene, it would be perfectly manageable. And a little extra care around more vulnerable people. people selling hand sanitiser and face masks are having a great time out of it. Any talks of closing schools and the like is madness imo. People in good health are able to fight it.

A company in Killmallock were on the radio the other day, they normally make 1 million face masks a week, working 5 days, they have gone to double shift and are hoping to be up to 2.75million next week to keep up with demand.

An Irish consultant on infectious diseases more or less said this on RTE radio yesterday morning.

It’s the one year that I was well organised- holiday to France booked and paid for since November....

I’ll see how things go.

You and me both. The Mrs has been on to the booking agent and been told that we can get all but the 300 quid deposit back if we cancel in excess of 42 days before the departure. Mrs wants to cancel now. We're not going till August 1st. I'm saying hold out till the beginning of June anyway. It could be all over by then or maybe fully blown. Either way, waiting to make an informed decision is the best option.

I'm involved in a charity and we are supposed to bring a group to Europe at the end of May. We have no money paid and nobody confirmed to travel yet. I think we may be cancelling that trip because there goes too much work into it for to have to cancel it last minute.

A company in Killmallock were on the radio the other day, they normally make 1 million face masks a week, working 5 days, they have gone to double shift and are hoping to be up to 2.75million next week to keep up with demand.

Look at the charcoal filter masks on ebay
They were 3 for 7 euro. Now edging closer to 3 for 30 euro this past week.

You and me both. The Mrs has been on to the booking agent and been told that we can get all but the 300 quid deposit back if we cancel in excess of 42 days before the departure. Mrs wants to cancel now. We're not going till August 1st. I'm saying hold out till the beginning of June anyway. It could be all over by then or maybe fully blown. Either way, waiting to make an informed decision is the best option.

I'm involved in a charity and we are supposed to bring a group to Europe at the end of May. We have no money paid and nobody confirmed to travel yet. I think we may be cancelling that trip because there goes too much work into it for to have to cancel it last minute.
I’ve flights paid for on a holiday to Spain in mid may hotel booked not paid til we arrive, I still intend to go unless it’s complete Armageddon.

Point is you can vaccinate for the flu. And if you are in any way at risk you should have had the jab.

There is no vaccine for covid 19. So the potential for it to work its way through a big population is there.

We should all be dead from Ebola by now so.....

I wud say there’s a fair chance the Dublin Saint Patrick’s parade will be cancelled this year.........

Perhaps the powers that be, should be alot more concerned about the origins of these superbugs and viruses. I would be concerned that future generations of people will be completely reliant on medicine to fight off any bug or virus. That will suit the pharmaceuticals for sure. I think vulnerable people should take precautions, but everyone else should carry on as normal

Apparently this virus doesn’t like heat, especially temps over 26/27 degrees. Hopefully that will put the brakes on it for the summer period.....a sun holiday might be the safest place to be!

I was thinking that too - hopefully it’ll make a difference.

If everyone observed the basic rules of hygiene, it would be perfectly manageable. And a little extra care around more vulnerable people. people selling hand sanitiser and face masks are having a great time out of it. Any talks of closing schools and the like is madness imo. People in good health are able to fight it.

If it spreads then closing schools should be considered as a lot of gran parents look after kids after school and they might not survive the virus if they get it and who will look after the kids then????:scratchhead:

Back