Covid 19

It seems 200 migrant workers for the meat industry from Brazil intered the country last week ,who is to say there was not 200 more the week before .What guarantee these people stuck to public health guidelines ,If the Brazilan covid mutant spreads we are really up shit creek while Myhole Martin is kite flying and doing sweet f.a.

It seems 200 migrant workers for the meat industry from Brazil intered the country last week ,who is to say there was not 200 more the week before .What guarantee these people stuck to public health guidelines ,If the Brazilan covid mutant spreads we are really up shit creek while Myhole Martin is kite flying and doing sweet f.a.
Well at least is highly skilled people desperately needed to help with the pandemic.☹

Everytime you just think we are taking baby steps in the right direction more crap turns up. Surely these Brazilians would need work visas etc to get in here?

How come these factories which must be one of the worse places for covid to spread are all working away when a few lads working outside on a house in the middle for nowhere aren't allowed work, ans: friends in government!, I'm not saying they should be shut down, but I don't think they should be given visa's for workers from Brazil at the moment either.

Well if they paid more then they might, either way it doesn't matter no way should people be allowed travel from these high risk areas, it looks like we will be locked down until mid summer and all because of the messing at the boarders, 90% of cases here are now uk variant, most of that is probably down to 3 weeks of travel during December, the country is going to pay a heavy financial cost for the government mismanagement of this.

How come these factories which must be one of the worse places for covid to spread are all working away when a few lads working outside on a house in the middle for nowhere aren't allowed work, ans: friends in government!, I'm not saying they should be shut down, but I don't think they should be given visa's for workers from Brazil at the moment either.
We need food thats why they are working, like farming is working.

Just listening to the news and it seems that hotel quarantine will not take place for a few weeks yet over 6 weeks since it was considered essential, what is wrong with his country that they couldn't act on this with a bit more haste.

Seen a bit where there was alot of South Americans coming in were woman.article said there was 5k plus came in the last month in total and some were loured into prostitution.
So much for mehole and his rules

Well irish people probably wouldn't do the work they are doing. Arentmeat factory workers tested regularly?
My answer probably should be in the politics thread.
I suggest the reason these Brazilians and other non EU people are brought in is because Irish and other EU people won't work for the wages paid to do these jobs and rightly so. Doesn't it say something that these factories have to go outside the EU to source employees?
I think I may have posted this before, back a couple of years ago I was in a waiting room of the dentist and I picked up the Irish Times to read while waiting. On page 2, I think, there was a small enough advertisement looking for people to work in meat plants of one of the big players which offered small enough wages, I'd be wrong to say a figure as I can't rightly remember but it was very little more than the minimum wage.
My thoughts on that advertisement :-
It was placed on that page rather than the employment section to try and hide it and very few would see it and so apply.
Also placed in a newspaper that very few people who would apply for those type of positions would read.
The main reason for the advertisement in my opinion was they didn't want EU people to apply but had to advertise in order to be able to get employment visas for non EU people and they could show/say they had advertised and no suitable people applied thus they need to go outside the EU for employees.
One time they were bringing in eastern Europeans to work for the small wages but these people have cottoned on to the fact they are being blackguarded.
It's not only the farmers these factories are screwing but also the hauliers and the employees in the factories and maybe the truth is that the only reason Irish beef is selling is because it can be sold cheap because of these reasons.
I mentioned a while ago that I was doing a supply chain management course, the lectures, reading material and books on the subject have at their core the concepts of value for the customer, cost saving and other similar concepts aimed at cutting prices and costs. The factories paying the least they can get away with to the farmer, paying low wages etc are the result of these concepts which are taught world wide and people have become professors in this which they call a profession. The result of this doctrine in my view is that peoples income is being cut so that these business can have a market but there will come a point where people won't be able to afford to buy these products and so the vicious circle will continue.

There is a minimum wage for a reason. Should everyone not start at the bottom and work their way up. People leaving school expecting massive wages with no experience. Daughter works in local shop. She is 17. Gets just over 7 euro an hour. Does about 12 hours a week at the moment. She is delighted to be getting the money and it means I dont have to pay for everything. On a Sunday there's 3 or 4 the same age as her running the shop. So wages are about 30 euro per hour to have the shop ran well.

Just listening to the news and it seems that hotel quarantine will not take place for a few weeks yet over 6 weeks since it was considered essential, what is wrong with his country that they couldn't act on this with a bit more haste.
Just watching the news there now and the tennis in Australia came up, crowds in the stands distanced and wearing masks but still a crowd. It could be the same here if the government had a back bone

Just watching the news there now and the tennis in Australia came up, crowds in the stands distanced and wearing masks but still a crowd. It could be the same here if the government had a back bone
Surprised that went ahead after someone in the hotel where all players and officials were staying tested positive

I don't think there is any ferry to the UK from there at the moment or at least reduced capacity so that could explain it....

Weren't they all sent home 10 days ago when Melbourne went into a snap lockdown?

Back