Votes: 83 82.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 11 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No the oxford is two doses too.

The reason it's not approved yet is they went back and redid some testing with different quantities of vaccine.

They discovered by accident almost that giving two different sized doses was actually more effective than the planned equal doses

No the oxford is two doses too.

The reason it's not approved yet is they went back and redid some testing with different quantities of vaccine.

They discovered by accident almost that giving two different sized doses was actually more effective than the planned equal doses
yes, you're correct, i was thinking it was only one dose but apparently it's two, though they seem to have better efficacy with a half dose followed by a full dose, for some reason, it's been suggested that they give people one dose of the oxford vaccine to give a lower level of immunity but to cover more people, to give a damping down effect. Details in this article here.

The big advantage with the Oxford vaccine is the storage is much simpler, it's ok long term in a normal medical fridge, the phizer one needs minus 70 and can only be moved a few times within the cold chain, which makes the logistics of mass vaccination more difficult. Vaccines have two purposes, to protect the individual, which is obvious, you have the vaccine and you will have much less chance of getting sick, but also to create herd immunity. A vaccine that was only 50% effective wouldn't be useless if it was given to enough people, because even at 50% efficacy it would prevent half of the people exposed from getting sick and hence slow exponential spread, which is how herd immunity works.

If we can get 80% of the population vaccinated particularly with the more effective vaccines, it will be much harder for the disease to spread as there will be fewer potential hosts. if a person is infected 80% of the people they meet would likely be vaccinated so the virus comes to a dead end. i think there's some merit to Blair's suggestion of giving one does to more people to get a blanket damping down effect more quickly. The problem with that approach is the vaccinated people would still have to socially distance and isolate.

ultimately, the logistics of actually administering vaccine to 65 million people in the UK is nearly as big a challenge in it's own way as the vaccine's rapid development. The thing is though that the scientists who developed the vaccines knew what they were doing, out government who we will rely on to organise the actual administration of the programme are imbeciles. I wouldn't trust them to deliver a piza, let alone a nationwide vaccine deployment strategy.

The thing is though that the scientists who developed the vaccines knew what they were doing, out government who we will rely on to organise the actual administration of the programme are imbeciles. I wouldn't trust them to deliver a piza, let alone a nationwide vaccine deployment strategy.
The moderna vaccine was developed over the first weekend after the viruses genotype was published to the world. The same one that has 95% efficacy.

The last thing to worry about is the vaccines themselves as you say, however over here Stephen Donnelly couldn't commit to getting 40000 doses administered weekly. At 40000 weekly doses it would take 3 years to cover the population of the Republic.

I'm a bit conflicted on this topic and havent in truth educated myself properly on the topic yet. I am broadly in favour of vaccines and have scoffed in the past at those who questioned the HPV one and others. BUT... I do have questions about vaccinating the public against the likes of flu, covid etc. I worry about inoculation of the global herd against too many threats for fear of harming the natural defences that evolution has allowed to develop along with diseases, viruses etc. For fear that at some stage science may not keep up.

Still open to be educated and wont make up my mind just yet.

I'm a bit conflicted on this topic and havent in truth educated myself properly on the topic yet. I am broadly in favour of vaccines and have scoffed in the past at those who questioned the HPV one and others. BUT... I do have questions about vaccinating the public against the likes of flu, covid etc. I worry about inoculation of the global herd against too many threats for fear of harming the natural defences that evolution has allowed to develop along with diseases, viruses etc. For fear that at some stage science may not keep up.

Still open to be educated and wont make up my mind just yet.
I'd be more worried about antibiotic resistance in those respects. all vaccines are doing is giving your immune system a heads up as to what antibodies it needs to produce to combat a specific disease.

There's an element of cheating natural selection with any medical intervention, you allow people who would otherwise die to contribute to the gene pool, but what's the alternative, just let millions die?

We don't really have a choice here, there's no route to herd other than vaccines, and without herd immunity we're fecked, pure and simple, the virus won't burn out naturally, at least not without an immense financial and human cost first.

@jay gatsby I think you are mixing up inoculated/vacinated herd and closed herd. The first offers protection by making the immune system produce antibodies, the other offers protection by trying to keep infection out of the herd. We've spent the last 9 months trying the closed herd system and it simply doesn't work.

I'd be more worried about antibiotic resistance in those respects. all vaccines are doing is giving your immune system a heads up as to what antibodies it needs to produce to combat a specific disease.

There's an element of cheating natural selection with any medical intervention, you allow people who would otherwise die to contribute to the gene pool, but what's the alternative, just let millions die?

We don't really have a choice here, there's no route to herd other than vaccines, and without herd immunity we're fecked, pure and simple, the virus won't burn out naturally, at least not without an immense financial and human cost first.
Agreed on the antibiotic resistance and I can see the differences with vaccine. However when you speak about millions dying, this virus and the common flu for example have been seen to kill (for the mostpart) those who are weak, aged, underlying conditions etc
Can you extrapolate out that we should inoculated the entire healthy population? Removing all possible adaptations that the body can make to adapt and fight these viruses as they develop in each individual?

It doesn't remove all possible adaptations that the body can make to adapt and fight these viruses, it gives a head start in the fight. Imagine getting into a boxing ring with your hands tied behind your back straight from your Christmas binge week or with the gloves on after a couple of month training.

The whole point of vaccinating everyone is to protect those who are immune-compromised and unable to have the vaccine themselves.

Agreed on the antibiotic resistance and I can see the differences with vaccine. However when you speak about millions dying, this virus and the common flu for example have been seen to kill (for the mostpart) those who are weak, aged, underlying conditions etc
Can you extrapolate out that we should inoculated the entire healthy population?
Removing all possible adaptations that the body can make to adapt and fight these viruses as they develop in each individual?

That's with an infection rate that doesn't exceed hospital capacity. If you just let it rip, then you get exponential spread and even though only a small percentage may need hospital treatment, once you've got a high infection rate even this small percentage exceeds hospital capacity. It's like if you get a cow go down, if you get it in a loose box on deep straw there's a chance you can get it right, leave it on bare concrete and there's no chance. If you have one cow down you can spend time trying to get it right, but if you had ten down at once then how would you get round all of them? It's the same with hospitals, too many very sick people and they'll not be able to give them proper care, they'll have to pick which ones get the loose box with straw and which get left on the bare concrete to take their chances.

all we can do is slow infection rates by limiting potential contacts through lockdowns, but there's no exit strategy to that, it's just a holding pattern, we'll never achieve herd immunity that way because the virus will mutate and because it appears immunity from having had it doesn't last.

If you just let it rip and make no attempt to control spread, then so many people will be seriously ill that there won't have the capacity to treat them all effectively, and it will be a case of leaving people to die.

Ms von der Leyen and a few of her cronies caused quite a storm over the vaccine supply, tensions were bad enough with all that's going on and seemingly they didn't have the manners to let commissioners know in time of what they were about to do.

Back