Crush / race design

Im thinking of buying a squeeze crush cos well my hands have been broken a few times. horses kicks, rugby, wife etc. Dont want to break the bank but am willing to buy the right thing at the same time.
Any thoughts
How??

Australian built "Warwick"crush, built by stark engineering, there are a few of them in Ireland.
There is a crush made in Wales too, big 8, I think it's called, looked into one a few years back, very similar too the Warwick.
Have a IAE hydraulic squeeze crush here.
The crush and squeeze is good enough, the head gate is not. Going to have to look at replacing it with a better head gate at some point.
There are a other makes too, I looked at a few at the highland show last year, if your not in a hurry, it's a great show to visit and do a bit more research.

a nieghbour has a tepari and its brilliant but big bucks. Dont want anything hydraulic. It will be going on an outfarm. Whats wrong with the headgate

Sorry should've said, it's hydraulic but worked by a hand pump, it's very simple.

Without getting too technical about it,
It's a complete bollix of a yolk.

image.jpg
That's the one, I've tightened it a few times, put in washers and shims, it's helped, though there is still too much play in it. Also it's possible for an animal to get their head out, by going down to the ground and turning their head sideways.
On a few rare occasions, the gate has opened when a wild animal, was bucking and leaping (before we had managed to squeeze them) the squeeze is a great job if only the gate was better.

Last edited:
If money was no object I'd be buying the big 8, spoke to the man who sells them a few years ago, I think it was ÂŁ8k (sterling) plus vat, fully hydraulic, with a vet box at the back.

If money was no object I'd be buying the big 8, spoke to the man who sells them a few years ago, I think it was ÂŁ8k (sterling) plus vat, fully hydraulic, with a vet box at the back.
Surely that was non weighing or something? Sounds cheap!

The morris is well able for the big wild lads. A quick eye is needed for the yolk.
It could be 6inches longer for clipping back ends of some lads. But still manage well enough.

Correct, non weighing.
Have you ever seen one over there?
Cant say I have.
Seen a really impressive fully hydraulic crush at one farm. But cant rememver the make.
If I was to go hydraulic I'd order enough pipe to put the motor etc behind a wall or in another shed! Wasnt loud just a constant horrible noise to work near!

Morris vari width should suit you on an outfarm. Can manualy squeese quite well with it.

Cant say I have.
Seen a really impressive fully hydraulic crush at one farm. But cant rememver the make.
If I was to go hydraulic I'd order enough pipe to put the motor etc behind a wall or in another shed! Wasnt loud just a constant horrible noise to work near!

Morris vari width should suit you on an outfarm. Can manualy squeese quite well with it.

The big 8 was coming with a motor and the option of using it off the tractor hydraulics if no power was available.
Could you find out the name of the one you seen. I'd be interested to know how those Welsh built ones are going.

yea they are bateman crushes, im going to have another lok at them. Was looking at the ambasador at the ploughing, the one with the manual yoke and i asked the salesman could it be closed from behind the animal and he just fecked off. had,nt a clue. was'nt bothered. I spoke to one of batemans own reps and he was excellent ad very helpful. I dont think id buy a manual closing gate that had to be closed from beside the animal as that would be like having to put a longer rope on the old type gates. That means it would have to be the one with the auto gate. I will look again to see how strong they are as they are not gaga money.
I dont want to be welding a crush after dowing a few cracked heifers,

yea they are bateman crushes, im going to have another lok at them. Was looking at the ambasador at the ploughing, the one with the manual yoke and i asked the salesman could it be closed from behind the animal and he just fecked off. had,nt a clue. was'nt bothered. I spoke to one of batemans own reps and he was excellent ad very helpful. I dont think id buy a manual closing gate that had to be closed from beside the animal as that would be like having to put a longer rope on the old type gates. That means it would have to be the one with the auto gate. I will look again to see how strong they are as they are not gaga money.
I dont want to be welding a crush after dowing a few cracked heifers,

Could be wrong on the make here. But fairly sure a neighbour had a Bateman auto yoke. A heifer managed to burst straight through on the first day using it! The guage of steel in it was terrible. Could have changed by now mind. So study them well.

E1FA4D9C-AFA3-45A0-8CD4-4CC194995A54.jpeg
Stumbled across this lot on FB. I like their head scoop and sliding gate a lot!
https://arrowquip.com
Their sliding gate is pretty similar design to what we got here from condon, just the top is bars rather than fully sheeted. I do like the curved handle to work it from the other side! May try make one up for ours as one gate is opening away from the main cat walk, currently just pulling it closed with a rope which works very well too mind

Back