Dairying

podge 23

So I see the Lyons farm in UCD promoting high yielding dairy cows on a recent article, the reckoning behind it is more milk from each cow,less cows needed then and less labour,makes sense I suppose .

Then on the other hand some other lad is saying we now need to go the other way like the jersey x because she doesn't eat as much and produces less methane ?

Which is it ?...

So I see the Lyons farm in UCD promoting high yielding dairy cows on a recent article, the reckoning behind it is more milk from each cow,less cows needed then and less labour,makes sense I suppose .

Then on the other hand some other lad is saying we now need to go the other way like the jersey x because she doesn't eat as much and produces less methane ?

Which is it ?...
Higher yields are more nitrogen efficient, grass based diets make more methane, grazing herds make more nitrous oxide.
So to please the greens you need an indoor high yielding concentrate fed herd.....yep.

I’ll manage fine without fertilizer next year,but the cost of my imported feed will cost me dear.

My high input high output system only works because there’s two of us here that eat sleep and breathe it,with a low input system it’s easier to let a novice milk them now and again because a low input cow can tolerate miss management better,if I had a ring fence farm in a drier area I’d definitely have a low input grass based system.

I’ll manage fine without fertilizer next year,but the cost of my imported feed will cost me dear.

My high input high output system only works because there’s two of us here that eat sleep and breathe it,with a low input system it’s easier to let a novice milk them now and again because a low input cow can tolerate miss management better,if I had a ring fence farm in a drier area I’d definitely have a low input grass based system.
What would you consider mismanagement?

What would you consider mismanagement?
Don’t milk out a 50+ litre cow and she’ll have mastitis within a week,do the same with a 15 litre cow and she won’t notice,a strong heat with a high yielding cow can cause a displaced abomasum,don’t notice and you’ll have a dead cow,high yielders are on a knife edge a 50litre cow is akin to someone running x2 marathons a day.

Don’t milk out a 50+ litre cow and she’ll have mastitis within a week,do the same with a 15 litre cow and she won’t notice,a strong heat with a high yielding cow can cause a displaced abomasum,don’t notice and you’ll have a dead cow,high yielders are on a knife edge a 50litre cow is akin to someone running x2 marathons a day.
We have a couple of 50 girls here. They suit a winter/spring herd as they will always skip a breeding season. Too much milk and more you feed her in the hope she will hold in calf the more milk she will give

Whatever system suits you and facilities and make it work as best you can. No harm to do the stocking rate calculations at whatever yields ye are at with the new N ratings per cow.
Lyons and the rest of em are good for info but remember they have staff and facilities beyond what the vast majority of farmers can economically achieve

Just going through the heat collars on the cows here to see what has come bulling since we pulled out the bull. Want to do up a report for what is to calf for the incoming spring calving and see what can be sold. Little disappointed now. Cows ran at 12% empty heifers where ok at 8%. Can't put a finger on it. Pulled the wagon away earlier alright but they were getting plenty in the parlour. Tis what it is now. Will have enough heifers to cover them either way.

12% here in cows as well, 12.5 weeks breeding. Heifers were good all bar 1 to recheck incalf. Def a few embryo losses with cows, May being poor didn't help either

12% here in cows as well, 12.5 weeks breeding. Heifers were good all bar 1 to recheck incalf. Def a few embryo losses with cows, May being poor didn't help either
We had 3heifers that constantly bulled there for the summer. They were sold on the mart 3weeks ago. No keep sake now. These empty cows will go the same road soon as they hit 12litres a day. Space is at a premium here which in away is a good thing as all that stays is what's in calf or going to.

We had 3heifers that constantly bulled there for the summer. They were sold on the mart 3weeks ago. No keep sake now. These empty cows will go the same road soon as they hit 12litres a day. Space is at a premium here which in away is a good thing as all that stays is what's in calf or going to.
Same story here, off loaded some last week straight from parlour to mart, if I had space I would have milked on. Averaged 705 euro. May have gotten more if sold from home. Will get rid of the last of em as I dry off. Will be nothing but in calf adult stock in the shed for winter

Maybe my luck might be in 😂😂. This is the 6th sample I have sent away.

Attachments

• IMG_20211019_171918.jpg
    IMG_20211019_171918.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 76
Ye must have had a lot of rain, cows still out day and night here
About 4 last night the heavens opened for about a hr thought it was going to come into the room at one stage. Was happy I left all the cows in last night. Place is like a swimming pool this morning. Hoping to keep cows out for the day but if they start walking or huddling be in to the yard with them

Back