David Brown

Never had much to do with DBs until I visited a large collection of them in northern Ireland a few years ago, I was impressed with the engineering , especially in the early ones and the Sekura cabbed ones, there was a Sekura cab 995 in a nearby farm when I was going to school, looked a much better setup than the DB cab ones.
There's a man I know up north with a massive collection of them, trying to get him into the Masseys now. He makes a fine good trailer too, was hardly him?

If you had a couple of photos of the governor / fuel pump, that would be great.
Throttle cable is stuck at high and the stop engine cable is nicely coiled up in the cab. I'm guessing I need a couple of springs.

Trivial job, I'm sure (had to do this on a Ford 3000 last week, nothing a hammer and WD40 couldn't sort), but I'd like to put them back the way they should be.

There is also a small diesel leak from the return line where it connects to the fuel pump. The nut was loose, and it looks like someone put some form of sealant or something between the nut and the screw. I need to get a proper look at it, but I'm guessing this should just be a new copper washer or new ferrule job?

Attachments

• IMG_6275.jpeg
    IMG_6275.jpeg
    330.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6274.jpeg
    IMG_6274.jpeg
    311.5 KB · Views: 34
After three weeks, I finally got the correct water pump for the tractor (long, boring story). the old one was knackered.

I ran her for about 30 minutes tonight, this was the first time that she has run in quite some time, and she was hard to start and there was a lot of white smoke coming out of her. It also sounded like she was missing at low revs.

Here she is after about 15 minutes or so. How does she sound?

She wasn't smoking that bad by then.

And at lower revs.

I think she is still missing a bit.

I've put some diepthane in the tank, but I don't know the provenance of that diesel so I think I'll flush the tank and replace it with fresh, and dump in more dipetane. I haven't done anything with the engine, I'm not sure what I should be doing apart from maybe cleaning the injectors.

I need to do up a pair of mounts for the radiator, as it isn't the original (I think it may be off a 770), once then, I'll give her run up the fields.

Any advice?

Last edited:
After three weeks, I finally got the correct water pump for the tractor (long, boring story). the old one was knackered.

I ran her for about 30 minutes tonight, this was the first time that she has run in quite some time, and she was hard to start and there was a lot of white smoke coming out of her. It also sounded like she was missing at low revs.

Here she is after about 15 minutes or so. How does she sound?

She wasn't smoking that bad by then.

And at lower revs.

I think she is still missing a bit.

I've put some diepthane in the tank, but I don't know the provenance of that diesel so I think I'll flush the tank and replace it with fresh, and dump in more dipetane. I haven't done anything with the engine, I'm not sure what I should be doing apart from maybe cleaning the injectors.

I need to do up a pair of mounts for the radiator, as it isn't the original (I think it may be off a 770), once then, I'll give her run up the fields.

Any advice?
I wonder are some of the valve clearances a bit tight? First thing to check.
She doesn't seem to be short of poke so if the glass bowl under the fuel lift pump is spotless then fuel should be OK.
Dipethane doesn't cure fuel problems, just prevents them. Try a dedicated diesel fuel injector cleaner instead or my preferred cleaner would be half a litre of ATF oil in half a tank of diesel a a good day's loaded work on the engine which may not be practical.

Also when setting up rubber mounts for the rad be careful when fully tightened that the fan is not fouling the radiator cowl at the top or bottom. Depending on the tractors age it may have a two blade steel fan and no cowl or a multi blade plastic fan and a cowl.

I wonder are some of the valve clearances a bit tight? First thing to check.
She doesn't seem to be short of poke so if the glass bowl under the fuel lift pump is spotless then fuel should be OK.
Dipethane doesn't cure fuel problems, just prevents them. Try a dedicated diesel fuel injector cleaner instead or my preferred cleaner would be half a litre of ATF oil in half a tank of diesel a a good day's loaded work on the engine which may not be practical.

The glass bowl is black. I was actually going to ask how to do you remove them.

Also when setting up rubber mounts for the rad be careful when fully tightened that the fan is not fouling the radiator cowl at the top or bottom. Depending on the tractors age it may have a two blade steel fan and no cowl or a multi blade plastic fan and a cowl.

No cowl! The old pump started to move on the bearings and within a few minutes had shredded every hose.

New hoses are in place now. And yes, there is about a half inch 'goldilocks' zone where the rad is at the right height and the fan doesn't shred the in / out hoses or the air hose.

The glass bowl is black. I was actually going to ask how to do you remove them.

No cowl! The old pump started to move on the bearings and within a few minutes had shredded every hose.

New hoses are in place now. And yes, there is about a half inch 'goldilocks' zone where the rad is at the right height and the fan doesn't shred the in / out hoses or the air hose.
To remove the glass bowl there should be a wire clip holding it up which is secured underneath by a thumbscrew. Unscrew it anticlockwise, it may be tight. There should be a brass gauze filter on top and a rubber seal possibly stuck in the top housing. You can drain the tank dry through here though it will take a while. The tank tap is an on/off push/pull button about a foot back up the fuel line beside the back of the tank.

I made up the new mounts for the radiator and I patched the holes in the air filter oil bath with filler / mesh.

The whole air filter has soaked in diesel for 48 hours, and then was washed out. There was an awful lot of crap. I filled the oil bath up to the level with 5w/30 (I had some spare in the garage).

However, I may have put too light an oil, as I can see that some oil seems to have made up into the breather pipe. Possible it was also some left over diesel but I think it was oil.

Is there something else I should be doing with the air filter?

Next job will be a flush of the diesel, cleaning of the sediment bowl, some injector cleaner in the fuel filter and a hard run up a couple of hills.

Back