David Brown

Not many around with that cab and much less with those type of wheels!
It was shipped into Ireland out of England in 1981. It is a pretty neat 885. Same fella that has the 996 owns it. All works well on it except the handbrake which is seized. Was sold last week for 2000

Need a david brown experts help here. I'm getting paint for a 1975 David brown 995, I know the white is orchid white, I'm not sure what the red is for the chasis and wheels is tho. If I'm not mistaken poppy red, hunting pink and case power red were the 3 reds used on David browns, just not sure which one was used on the 995s, any help would be greatly appreciated.

20210415_194938.jpg20210415_195531.jpgthinking of buying this. Has log book with possibly one owner. Has a loader too. It was bought new buy this man's uncle in 1960. Only problem is the block was welded up on it in the 70s. It's still holding up but wondering would it be worth while restoring with this or would I have to seek out a new block.

View attachment 90542View attachment 90543thinking of buying this. Has log book with possibly one owner. Has a loader too. It was bought new buy this man's uncle in 1960. Only problem is the block was welded up on it in the 70s. It's still holding up but wondering would it be worth while restoring with this or would I have to seek out a new block.
Might have some job finding a good block for that one, it’s a three bearing crank block at a guess. Depends on how bad the crack was originally?

View attachment 90542View attachment 90543thinking of buying this. Has log book with possibly one owner. Has a loader too. It was bought new buy this man's uncle in 1960. Only problem is the block was welded up on it in the 70s. It's still holding up but wondering would it be worth while restoring with this or would I have to seek out a new block.
If it was welded properly and isn’t leaking I don’t know why it’d be a problem. Some lads go on about tractors with welded blocks as if they shouldn’t even be considered as tractors any more.

Might have some job finding a good block for that one, it’s a three bearing crank block at a guess. Depends on how bad the crack was originally?
The whole length of the block on the right hand side. Has held up for the last 40 years. Will hardly go now.

If it was welded properly and isn’t leaking I don’t know why it’d be a problem. Some lads go on about tractors with welded blocks as if they shouldn’t even be considered as tractors any more.
Might go for it then. Do it up and sell it on. Not many on done deal. Are they making much done up.

Might go for it then. Do it up and sell it on. Not many on done deal. Are they making much done up.
A welded block might work fine until the crack makes its way into the internal main bearing journal or housing. But the load that tractor will be worked at won’t put much stress on it. Also, selling a tractor with a repaired block might be difficult enough, potential buyers would be concerned about it, especially if it’s done up for show.

A welded block might work fine until the crack makes its way into the internal main bearing journal or housing. But the load that tractor will be worked at won’t put much stress on it. Also, selling a tractor with a repaired block might be difficult enough, potential buyers would be concerned about it, especially if it’s done up for show.
That's what I was worried about. Of the block was fine it would be a no brainer but it's been repaired which ads a bit of risk.

That's what I was worried about. Of the block was fine it would be a no brainer but it's been repaired which ads a bit of risk.
990 implematic would be hard to find bits for, an 880 selectamatic would be a more desirable tractor, a 780 even more so. And handier to get parts for also. Fine 3 cyl engine in them too.

990 implematic would be hard to find bits for, an 880 selectamatic would be a more desirable tractor, a 780 even more so. And handier to get parts for also. Fine 3 cyl engine in them too.
Maybe even for me self I might do it up for. Would be a shame to scrap, has the genuine loader it came with and all. I might ask john conaty has he a block for one. The grandfather's brother in Caim (I think its called) below in wexford has one done up to the last. Lovely tractor done up. Has a nice ford 8n too

Just out of curiosity what David browns was poppy red used on. Wasn't hunting pink used on the implematics and cropmasters.

I've a block for a David Brown here, im not sure of the model though

Attachments

• IMG_20210123_125109.jpg
    IMG_20210123_125109.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20210123_125156.jpg
    IMG_20210123_125156.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 25
Back