De-Horners

Larry David

Very Senior Member
Noticed this in the paper, looks a good job, anyone seen it?
O' Donovans in Cork are selling it.

[YOUTUBE]SgySypBonmw&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

I think it's similar to this one - http://www.fearing.co.uk/Buddex-Dehorner/default.aspx

1716.jpg

Like you, I'm waiting for someone else to try it 7 say it's wonderful before we try one. :001_unsure:

i use an electric one, just as handy really, id always remove the kernel tho, maybe its just habit.

i use an electric one, just as handy really, id always remove the kernel tho, maybe its just habit.

Have the gas one and likewise remove it but this might be less stressful, some say not to remove just burn a ring but I would be afraid of regrowth.

Have the gas one and likewise remove it but this might be less stressful, some say not to remove just burn a ring but I would be afraid of regrowth.

Never had to de-horn until last month on a Teagasc Course for my "Green Cert". We were shown to remove it to be on the save side that it is burned all around.

I think you have to use an anaesthetic nowadays. We used to use an electric one and when the element burnt out just heated it with the oxy acetylene. I always thought it would be less painful than the caustic sticks.To stop the bleeding we used to use a cobweb out of the rafters.

Never had to de-horn until last month on a Teagasc Course for my "Green Cert". We were shown to remove it to be on the save side that it is burned all around.

What is the golden unwritten rule with Teagasc teachings?:001_smile:

I think you have to use an anaesthetic nowadays. We used to use an electric one and when the element burnt out just heated it with the oxy acetylene. I always thought it would be less painful than the caustic sticks.To stop the bleeding we used to use a cobweb out of the rafters.

Over 14 days need anesthetic, we find the gas better as its hotter, we cauterise to stop bleeding and spray with bluespray. A good crush is essential.

We have a gas one and always take out the bud.Actually started using the anesthetic on everything when that rule came in, makes it 10 times easier.Tis rare enough something bleeds on us though.... Tend to do them around the 3 week mark when a stronger bud is there.

anesthetic on older cattle does more harm than good, we find that when they are horned with anesthetic they don't know that the area is sore so they rub it and start to bleed again, whereas if you don't use it THEY KNOW not to rub.

Back