Disc Harrow

This just reminded me that there’s someone in the midlands hiring out discs. Dropped one in our yard for a neighbor last year and collected it a week or so later. Probably more cost effective for doing one field a year compared to buying and maintaining one.

Is that the lad from Tipperary?
I was looking at what he has for hire and it would be too big for the tractor in Galway. He has a 3m Pottinger and another bigger disc harrow.
If its not him, would you be able to find out who it was?
There's a lad that hires machinery in Longford. @jdbaz might know more about him than i do, but I don't think he has a disc harrow?
If a lad didn't have the hp to pull it, it would be a lot easier to get a contractor in to do it.

Last edited:
Is that the lad from Tipperary?
I was looking at what he has for hire and it would be too big for the tractor in Galway. He has a 3m Pottinger and another bigger disc harrow.
If its not him, would you be able to find out who it was?
There's a lad that hires machinery in Longford. @jdbaz might know more about him than i do, but I don't think he has a disc harrow?
If a lad didn't have the hp to pull it, it would be a lot easier to get a contractor in to do it.

I think he was tipp based I wasn’t there when he came or went, but I know another man who had the loan of the same disc Harrow and it had his 130hp landini on its knees pulling it.

Looking to buy a 3M Disc Harrow as I really need some reseeding done this year for grazing and silage ground. Some fields are hilly and quite possibly wouldn’t have a great depth of soil etc or stoney.

I was planning to spray the grass off first and then use the disc harrow on it instead of ploughing.

Looking online and DoneDeal, I see various disc harrows for sale such as Tolmet, Milos, Mandam and Ro/ex. Your well known branded equipment are more than double the price so hence why I mentioned the above.

What does one think of Harrowing instead of ploughing and has anyone got some input on the above brands? Anything to look out for when buying one?

Thanks.
Set of simba a discs?

I have been looking at the spec sheets of various Disc makers from cheap to expensive and what I see is the expensive brands on here are no heavier than the cheap ones, in fact some of the cheap ones are heavier so the comparison of the cheap models being too light is nonsense.

The welding and strengthening in key areas on some of the cheap ones look very good.

Must compare the hubs and discs now.

Here are the disc dimensions of some 3m mounted ones that I was looking at lately to get you started!

Amazone Catros 3001 / 3003 special 460mm x 4mm
Amazone Catros 3001 + 510mm x 4mm
Lemken Helidor 9/300 510mm x 5mm
Lemken Rubin 9/300 U 620mm x 6mm
Kverneland Qualidisc Farmer 3000 520mm x 5mm
Kverneland Qualidisc Pro 3000 600mm x 6mm
Maschio Presto 300 460mm or 510mm
Maschio UFO 300 610mm
Pottinger Terradisc 3001 580mm
Vaderstad Carrier 300 450mm or 470mm
Horsch Joker 3 CT 520mm x 6mm
Kuhn Optimer+ 303 510mm

I didn't do much looking at the lesser known makes.

In a lot of brands there seems to be a larger disc model for primary cultivation or a smaller disc model for secondary cultivation.

All above have 24 discs. Smooth discs and serrated discs available. Most machines seem to be specced with serrated discs.

The smaller disc 3m ones range in weight from 1,485kg to 1,826kg. The type of roller can have a big impact on the total weight. The larger disc 3m models can weigh anything up to 3t.

Lots of different rear roller options.

Most using rubber blocks as the disc suspension. Lemken using leaf springs on the Helidor and coil springs on the Rubin.

Used to sow barley behind ground worked by a pottinger looked heavy when the tractor lifted on the headland had a heavy packer roller but did a great job

Great post @vf949
Small discs travel faster than bigger discs, we had a 3m heliodor with a trapez roller, it's a good machine on ploughed ground. The roller is heavy and leaves a good firm seedbed.
A Rubin would be better for min till or chopping up ley ground. On the first run on ploughing the Rubin will be ok, on subsequent runs less so.
We have a carrier here now, its on 510mm
the XL is on 610mm.
If both are being pulled at the same forward speed, the smaller disc will be travelling 12% faster approx. So the smaller disc is better for tilling, given the weight of the carrier it's still able to penetrate ley, unlike the heliodor which on the same size disc wouldn't be as effective as it wasn't heavy enough.

Here are the disc dimensions of some 3m mounted ones that I was looking at lately to get you started!

Amazone Catros 3001 / 3003 special 460mm x 4mm
Amazone Catros 3001 + 510mm x 4mm
Lemken Helidor 9/300 510mm x 5mm
Lemken Rubin 9/300 U 620mm x 6mm
Kverneland Qualidisc Farmer 3000 520mm x 5mm
Kverneland Qualidisc Pro 3000 600mm x 6mm
Maschio Presto 300 460mm or 510mm
Maschio UFO 300 610mm
Pottinger Terradisc 3001 580mm
Vaderstad Carrier 300 450mm or 470mm
Horsch Joker 3 CT 520mm x 6mm
Kuhn Optimer+ 303 510mm

I didn't do much looking at the lesser known makes.

In a lot of brands there seems to be a larger disc model for primary cultivation or a smaller disc model for secondary cultivation.

All above have 24 discs. Smooth discs and serrated discs available. Most machines seem to be specced with serrated discs.

The smaller disc 3m ones range in weight from 1,485kg to 1,826kg. The type of roller can have a big impact on the total weight. The larger disc 3m models can weigh anything up to 3t.

Lots of different rear roller options.

Most using rubber blocks as the disc suspension. Lemken using leaf springs on the Helidor and coil springs on the Rubin.
One thing on the rubbers is the Pottinger and horsch have longer rubbers as there are two discs on each holder which is better for penetrating the ground

One thing on the rubbers is the Pottinger and horsch have longer rubbers as there are two discs on each holder which is better for penetrating the ground

How does that allow for better penetration?

Supposed to give more clearance for trash to flow through too.

How does that allow for better penetration?

Supposed to give more clearance for trash to flow through too.
Keeps the disc in the ground better as there is more contact between the holder and the bar , also it stops the disc arms from twisting which can happen can happen with discs on single holders. Maybe I’m wrong but from working them that’s what iv seen.

The larger diameter the discs a d the heavier the machine the better it will be for ripping up ley ground or hard stubbles.
The smaller discs will finish better.
There is no one answer in all conditions.
If you are working in spring before ground gets hard any if them will do.
One of them cheaper ones like romalko wouldn't be a bad buy for a farmer if he can't get a contractor

Any preferred roller to use? Seems to be half a dozen different types.

Also, some machines have maintenance free hubs and some have Skf bearings. Anyone got any input on those?

I’m looking for suggestions. I would like some implement to establish catch crops in cereal stubbles. Something that would do the job in one pass and that would be eligible for a TAMS grant.I have a Stocks slug pellet applicator which is front mounted but I think some sort of air or other type of seeder would be more suitable for catch crops, especially phacelia and vetche mix.I was thinking of a Palatine grass harrow but was told the tines are too close together and would gather up straw. Thanks for any help.

I’m looking for suggestions. I would like some implement to establish catch crops in cereal stubbles. Something that would do the job in one pass and that would be eligible for a TAMS grant.I have a Stocks slug pellet applicator which is front mounted but I think some sort of air or other type of seeder would be more suitable for catch crops, especially phacelia and vetche mix.I was thinking of a Palatine grass harrow but was told the tines are too close together and would gather up straw. Thanks for any help.
Something like a simba express with a DD packer? Mount an airseeder on it? Did @Bogman do something with an airseeder under tams?

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagemachinery-for-sale/mooredrill/19310372

This is one run of the horsch mono tg and joker on the back. Mount an air seeder onto it and you be flying. Never any issue with straw

5D332B60-4EC2-4A6A-BA77-FAEE9BF28F12.png

Back