Disc Harrow

Just curious, what's the difference between something like this https://www.donedeal.ie/harrows-for-sale/8-parmiter-disc-harrow/24675258 and the more modern style https://www.donedeal.ie/harrows-for-sale/3m-disc-harrow/24760003

Apart from the packer roller do the modern type do a different/better job?

Just wondering

The modern, short/compact disc harrow can work shallow as the discs have a closer spacing, ideal for chitting volunteers and mixing surface trash to get stubble and straw to break down and not needing as much horsepower. Larger discs need to work deeper in order to mix all of the soil and not leave bits between the disc cuts untouched. A smaller disc machine would have a cut to cut distance of 13-15cm for example but the large disc cultivators are in the region of 30cm. Hopefully that makes sense

And by the time you add a new set of discs all around would you have much of a bargain at all??

Depends how cheap it was and if you only had a small workload might even be able to use them for a season or three without changing the metal. Had an interesting presentation from Pöttinger last spring. They bought several aftermarket discs and did some measurements. Some of the holes were something like 5-10mm off centre which would do nothing for bearing life. The hardness treatment was also very shallow.

Now the chances are some of the cheaper disc harrow makes will be using discs from these suppliers but the price difference between them and the established manufacturers is at times eye-watering so understandable people are voting with their wallet.

2 runs of a blade rotovator at alternative depths and ideally a few days apart will turn a grass field into a perfect seedbed.
A 3 meter machine will cover 2-3 acres an hour comfortable and even if your ploughing, one quick run ahead of the plough will make the field easier to level and eliminate air pockets.
had to harrow a field after 2runs of a spade rotovator a while ago.. now maybe it was some other factor but my first pass was dog rough, just had to go slow, and had to give 3 passes to get it to a level seed bed. id say if your ground was stony i wouldn't go the rotovator route also.

The modern, short/compact disc harrow can work shallow as the discs have a closer spacing, ideal for chitting volunteers and mixing surface trash to get stubble and straw to break down and not needing as much horsepower. Larger discs need to work deeper in order to mix all of the soil and not leave bits between the disc cuts untouched. A smaller disc machine would have a cut to cut distance of 13-15cm for example but the large disc cultivators are in the region of 30cm. Hopefully that makes sense

That's a 10ft Parmiter, it has 36 discs, 20 inches diameter, so the same size as the modern units, but even more of them. it's not a big trailed disc. does it do a similar job just without the packer roller?

MzQzYjU4MWJhNmVkNmExZTAyZTM1YzA0NGU2OTIzZjk-1-dN8nLPYdK2-IWXM25naHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDUyNjA3MzJ8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

That's a 10ft Parmiter, it has 36 discs, 20 inches diameter, so the same size as the modern units, but even more of them. it's not a big trailed disc. does it do a similar job just without the packer roller?

Discs on short harrows tend to be around the 500-600mm range and the disc angle to direction of travel plus the inclination will be different. Give it a whirl and see what happens, you can always play around with the disc gang angle. If it works stick a clevis on the frame to tow a roller if you have the ponies.

No I have neither machine, just something I got to musing when you see the proliferation of versions that have exploded onto the market in recent years as to how they're better than an old machine with similar discs and spacing

I’m not sure if I’ll buy a new disc or a second hand one, what do lads think are a good disc that’s not mad money mainly for peaty/clay soils and ley/stubble tilling

I’m not sure if I’ll buy a new disc or a second hand one, what do lads think are a good disc that’s not mad money mainly for peaty/clay soils and ley/stubble tilling

Anything that's not mad money needs a good chunk of money spent on it for new discs :scratchhead:

Or that's the way I see it. Depends on what happens with TAMS in the future and your eligibility and if they will be included :confused3:

Does anyone run a catros ? They don’t seem to be that popular, there a nice price for a brand I consider to make good machinery. Are the fully round discs no good ?

I believe @CORK has a Catros. They offer plain, serrated and scalloped discs now
Yes, we have one. Don’t use it that much but a useful tool all the same (we use it for tilling on ploughed ground or stubble cultivation) If one wants to use them for reseeding, my opinion is that you need to go heavy like something like a Lemken Rubin. The Catros size disc harrows aren’t heavy enough for hard grassland in my opinion.

Does anyone run a catros ? They don’t seem to be that popular, there a nice price for a brand I consider to make good machinery. Are the fully round discs no good ?
round disc are suitable fir stony ground and are a smoother pull too. find them very forgiving tbf. serrated disc i think would have a quicker break down of the top sod. the type of roller on back would be v important also

round disc are suitable fir stony ground and are a smoother pull too. find them very forgiving tbf. serrated disc i think would have a quicker break down of the top sod. the type of roller on back would be v important also
I have an old catros out for a few days as a trial, needs a full set of discs and a couple of bearings, I’ll have to see what the money is like on it

You reckon avoid so ? Have it out here just for a few days to trial it
I would, when they start giving trouble they continue till all the bearings are done, that usually happens around the time it needs a set of discs.
A lot of people trade them around that time as there isn't a big enough difference between the cost of a total refurb and trading for a new one.
Tams may have changed those figures, if you are or aren't getting the grant on the new one.

I would, when they start giving trouble they continue till all the bearings are done, that usually happens around the time it needs a set of discs.
A lot of people trade them around that time as there isn't a big enough difference between the cost of a total refurb and trading for a new one.
Tams may have changed those figures, if you are or aren't getting the grant on the new one.

I often wonder is that why we saw disc drills and normal disc harrows fall out of favour in the 80's/90's

And if you need a few bearing holders it makes them uneconomical to repair

Just out of curiosity but with the likes of a catros is the bearing in a hub then the disc is on the hub and a seal kit around bearing inside hub ? And the new ones are a different setup
Edit: never mind found a video

Last edited:
Last chance at the tams this week. Maschio ufo 300 looks good with each disc spring loaded.
I nearly bought a second hand maschio. There are 3 that I know of that all have the same problem of the springs coming loose and requiring new plates, one of them with this problem wouldn’t have 500 acres done since new

I thought the Ramelko one I saw a few weeks back was well made with substantial iron in it . The main brands that we have here would be hard enough to find in Agri Technica .
View attachment 52863 View attachment 52861 View attachment 52862

The cousin bought a 3m one last year. It's well made but I find that it's slow work compared to working down ploughed ground. I've a field that I'm planning on ploughing that's infested with stones. Would two runs of the disc get the ground ready for grasseed and not bring up too many stones instead of grubbing it?

Back