Disc Harrow

Trick with a disc is go light the first run.
Bit deeper second run and so on. Most lads bury it down first run and bring up big sods which just get dragged around and make it unlevel. You can’t beat the plough but then stones. We call a grub a stone magnet. Spike rotavater does a good job if the field is already fairly level.

The cousin bought a 3m one last year. It's well made but I find that it's slow work compared to working down ploughed ground. I've a field that I'm planning on ploughing that's infested with stones. Would two runs of the disc get the ground ready for grasseed and not bring up too many stones instead of grubbing it?
If its badly poached but dry, it would work well. But if it normal bare field. Up to 5 single passes to get it nice. More if its not burned off long enough

The cousin bought a 3m one last year. It's well made but I find that it's slow work compared to working down ploughed ground. I've a field that I'm planning on ploughing that's infested with stones. Would two runs of the disc get the ground ready for grasseed and not bring up too many stones instead of grubbing it?

really depends what kinda finish you want and what the sod is like and how long it is burnt off. Have often disced fields up to 5 or 6 times to get it right.

I'd imagine one or two light runs of the disc followed by light power harrow drill combination and a run of a ring roller.

If its badly poached but dry, it would work well. But if it normal bare field. Up to 5 single passes to get it nice. More if its not burned off long enough

really depends what kinda finish you want and what the sod is like and how long it is burnt off. Have often disced fields up to 5 or 6 times to get it right.

Yes I done that last year. What I mean is would it work well on ploughed ground to till if up for grasseed instead of using the grub? The field is mowed for silage so I'd like it fairly level without having to pick too many stones.

What also works really well but only works in certain conditions if if you can give it a good length burnt off in dry conditions and power Harrow it followed by the one pass but as I said it needs to be dry ground and good dry conditions after being burnt off

Yes I done that last year. What I mean is would it work well on ploughed ground to till if up for grasseed instead of using the grub? The field is mowed for silage so I'd like it fairly level without having to pick too many stones.
works perfect with round disc and packer roller once you dont drive too fast causing bounce. 2 runs ideally. first run with the ploughing i recommend. no need for plough if not much of a sod though. in that case start shallow and change angle slighty every run

It should do. Thats how I reseed. You will get s few stones popping up tho but the discs should bounce over them. 2 runs of disc then the powerharrow

How do the disc harrows with the individually rubber suspended discs cope with stones? Say if there's rock coming nearly to the surface and all the weight came on just one or two discs as you travel over it will they twist around the frame? In bad ground would you not be down straightening them quite often?

How do the disc harrows with the individually rubber suspended discs cope with stones? Say if there's rock coming nearly to the surface and all the weight came on just one or two discs as you travel over it will they twist around the frame? In bad ground would you not be down straightening them quite often?
They just ride over the stones

Well looking for some information about a Bamlett 8ft disc harrow a neighbour has one for sale wasn't used in about 10 years it was oiled and greased before putting away its v clean, looking 1200 euros, what are the like. Would it be any good for doing a bit of reseeding with the rotor spike ,save take up Stones if plough d,

Well looking for some information about a Bamlett 8ft disc harrow a neighbour has one for sale wasn't used in about 10 years it was oiled and greased before putting away its v clean, looking 1200 euros, what are the like. Would it be any good for doing a bit of reseeding with the rotor spike ,save take up Stones if plough d,
If it’s Bamlett I assume it’s fairly old.

Pics would be useful, discs need to be heavy to get penetration in old grass ground.

If it’s Bamlett I assume it’s fairly old.

Pics would be useful, discs need to be heavy to get penetration in old grass ground.
Thanks ur right it is old and probably not be able to get berns or parts.sorry have no picture s of it .it is v clean but I'd get a lot of disc n don for 1200euro .

What oil/grease should be going in them sealed bearings on a disc ? I was using liquid grease but told since that’s not good enough, cannot find it on manual

What oil/grease should be going in them sealed bearings on a disc ? I was using liquid grease but told since that’s not good enough, cannot find it on manual
On the Amazon catros a little bottle of light enough oil comes with a bearing kit,after that I don't know.

Don't plough it, your only burying the most fertile soil.
If it's level enough just spray it in plenty of time and till it with a disc or power harrow or both.
Unless you enjoy picking stone's.
If conditions are right a min til machine like a guttler will be handiest and cheapest

have one here the discs are fairly worn to be honest. There was some lad in dublin dealing in parts for them and i rember must be 15 yrs ago dad went and got any spares he had left cause cant get parts for them anymore the cast bearings needs lots of grease regularly. Not capable of working down a sod unless its ploughed.

iv a bit of reseeding to so this year and my plan is plough(iv my own 3furrow vairi width conventional plough) give it a few runs the land leveler it willl break up the clods and level and firm it up and then sow with grass seed barrow.

Don't plough it, your only burying the most fertile soil.
If it's level enough just spray it in plenty of time and till it with a disc or power harrow or both.
Unless you enjoy picking stone's.
If conditions are right a min til machine like a guttler will be handiest and cheapest

It's mowed every year so it's fairly level. The last time it was ploughed it was grubbed to level it so that brought up a lot of stones. I'm still not convinced about the disk been the only tool needed for cultivation. The bit we done last year didn't get a good strike with the drought and it hasn't really taken off yet. I want to plough this piece as an experiment as much as anything and see how the disc works it. We're debating about whether a power harrow or a plough would be a better buy and hopefully this job might tell us more.

It's mowed every year so it's fairly level. The last time it was ploughed it was grubbed to level it so that brought up a lot of stones. I'm still not convinced about the disk been the only tool needed for cultivation. The bit we done last year didn't get a good strike with the drought and it hasn't really taken off yet. I want to plough this piece as an experiment as much as anything and see how the disc works it. We're debating about whether a power harrow or a plough would be a better buy and hopefully this job might tell us more.
Roundup and leave a month . 2 or 3 runs of a disc or power Harrow will then get plenty of tillage, the reason direct reseeds struggle in drought is because lack of soil contact.the longer you leave the roundup to work the easier it is to do, 2 weeks is not enough as the roots fibres haven’t broken down yet , 3 weeks will work but anything after that would be ideal. Working the power Harrow on its own is hard on metal , for a disc Harrow to work it needs to be one of the better ones as while other ones might look like they are doing the work but they are not working deep enough.

You only plough a field once you will run a power harrow over it two or three times if you really want to leave it level. They are a handy tool for even levelling a patch of poached ground around a gateway so my vote would be buy a power harrow not a plough and get someone in to plough

2 neighbours did reseeding very late the last week of Sept,One place was burned off,ploughed ,power h and seed and ring rolled ,patchy and thin to say the least but field is exposed .The second place was burned off ,disced 3 runs of rubin and powed h seeded, rolled with flat roller it turned out a treat even though the ploughed ground looked far better looking job .Seriously impressed with the disc result but probably as costly as ploughing considering the number of runs

Discing isn't cheaper than plough ing unless the field has been sprayed off for months and is already broken down.its a better job for permanent grassland in my view to keep the best soil on top.

had planted barley in one of the silage fields last year and had reseeded when harvest was finished. had put some slurry (dad wanted to empty out the last closed tank, only a few loads),some fert went on it, i said we might as well spread the dung while we at it as just to finish off the rest of the field where slurry wasnt spread, and lime was put out. got the discs in. one run they gave and wasnt long at it. tbf the driver was told to go fast. after the one pass was brought in and i gave it a roll after. was well surpised on how well the discs had buried the dung and trash. as far as my dad could tell, the grass is coming along nicely.

Back