Disc Harrow

Well wear! Have you not gotten it dirty yet!!!
I want to take soil samples this week and I reckon it might be harder to core soil from disced ground, maybe not!
It should see action by the end of the week hopefully.

Well wear. Tidy set up.
let us know how you get on with the seeder. I’ve got grant approval for one and not sure to go for a broadcaster or an air seeder
I have some grass to sow with it next week but won't be sowing catch crops this year with it. Should do the job though, adjustable vanes allow it to spread slug pellets or similar up to 12 metres wide.

I have some grass to sow with it next week but won't be sowing catch crops this year with it. Should do the job though, adjustable vanes allow it to spread slug pellets or similar up to 12 metres wide.
I sold my old paramiter disc last year with a view to buying a disc but nothing decent second hand about. Got caught out sowing oats today that wouldn’t go through the drill so broadcast and had to use an old Massey grubber. Done the job but pure curse gathering straw popping up stones too embarrassed to take pictures going to have to bite the bullet.

I sold my old paramiter disc last year with a view to buying a disc but nothing decent second hand about. Got caught out sowing oats today that wouldn’t go through the drill so broadcast and had to use an old Massey grubber. Done the job but pure curse gathering straw popping up stones too embarrassed to take pictures going to have to bite the bullet.
A learning exercise, you will be all the better for it

What was the reason for selling the paramiter disc, do these never types do a better job. I used a paramiter disc once on ley ground that was ploughed for reseeding and I wouldn't have been impressed, it took a lot of runs over it to work it down for sowing.

What was the reason for selling the paramiter disc, do these never types do a better job. I used a paramiter disc once on ley ground that was ploughed for reseeding and I wouldn't have been impressed, it took a lot of runs over it to work it down for sowing.
It was fine on ploughed ground and worked very well in my view with the press we towed behind it but it didn’t have the cut on stubble especially anywhere there was grass.

Quite heavy but very similar to the 3 furrow reversible plough to lift it, possibly heavier.
Would be interested to see how it gets on in stubble. We are mintilling cereals and fodder rape the past few years but all work by contractor up to now. Probably never be viable on our acres but been in the back of my mind if a 2nd hand one ever came up in future

Would be interested to see how it gets on in stubble. We are mintilling cereals and fodder rape the past few years but all work by contractor up to now. Probably never be viable on our acres but been in the back of my mind if a 2nd hand one ever came up in future
same here. last year we got a contractor in to disc the stubble so we could set grass seed. did a bloody good job of it but it was a 3m kv harrow. big heavy brute of a machine that even made a 7720s dance on the road

Do you establish cereals after the disc, is there no tine cultivation involved?

How deep would cultivations go?
Round about 3 inches. Light land here it would have to be said. Find we have better moisture retention which has helped in spring sown crops a few years. Can be tricky to get a window for winter sown crops in this method as ground does need to be dry and we are reliant on the contractor fitting us in after putting in his own

So the disc harrow had its first day out, just discing stubble today. Tilling about 2 inches deep at 11 kph doing about 6 acres an hour.
20210910_105412.jpg20210910_110031.jpg20210910_110011.jpg20210910_105958.jpg20210910_114428.jpg
I fiddled around with different depths and speeds, easy to loosen soil four inches deep so I wouldn't be afraid of sowing grass straight into stubble.
I ran the discs a few runs at 90 degrees to the way I disced the whole field, it improved it slightly as the next photo shows but it would be hard to improve it twice as good at the same depth.
Well impressed with it in general. Next test is the seeder unit...
20210910_114432.jpg

Attachments

• 20210910_110044.jpg
    20210910_110044.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 37
So the disc harrow had its first day out, just discing stubble today. Tilling about 2 inches deep at 11 kph doing about 6 acres an hour.
View attachment 97084View attachment 97085View attachment 97087View attachment 97088View attachment 97089
I fiddled around with different depths and speeds, easy to loosen soil four inches deep so I wouldn't be afraid of sowing grass straight into stubble.
I ran the discs a few runs at 90 degrees to the way I disced the whole field, it improved it slightly as the next photo shows but it would be hard to improve it twice as good at the same depth.
Well impressed with it in general. Next test is the seeder unit...
View attachment 97090
Thanks for that. Looks to be doing very good work there. How is the tractor coping at 4 inches?

Back