Disc Harrow

You might have a few more thirsty ponies than me though!
Might be a few alright😂 Was just when I saw your post it reminded me of it! Not sure how accurate they’d be though, have the meter on the tank too but the tractor was at a few jobs over the fill so couldn’t work it out off that!

Did a mornings discing and refueled, 1.8 litres / acre was the consumption.
That's very efficient, I covered about 14 acres twice, the TM 155 was full starting off and showing half full when finished. Depth of work would be an important influence on diesel use, this was stubble and I left it ready for the owner to sow grass seed. It's a 4m disc and I don't think a tractor any smaller would be able for it.
I forgot to say that the TM holds 350 litres I think.

Last edited:
Sorry to open an old trend but thought handier than new one. What HP would you require for 2.7 meter disc, have a 100hp agrotron and looking for a disc to run behind it into grass

Sorry to open an old trend but thought handier than new one. What HP would you require for 2.7 meter disc, have a 100hp agrotron and looking for a disc to run behind it into grass
Should be ok at that, we’ve pulled the 3m with 90 odd old ponies on ploughed ground, and mf30 above is running a 3m on rolled with 85hp. Into sod will take a bit more but once your not facing up a dirty brow all the time it should be ok

We use a Lemken Ruben for reseeding.Two runs and set it with a onepass power harrow. Does a perfect job every time,very few stones and fast.The Ruben is a very impressive machine to see it work.

Just digging this thread back up as thinking of buying a Rubin for reseeding rather than ploughing.
Would the final pass with power harrow be essential @Mid cork of could you go in with seeder straight after Rubin or do a third pass with it instead?

Which packer would people recommend on the back of it for this situation. Thinking the firmer the better so would that mean the single knife/packer roller rather than the double cage ones?

Contemplating a disc harrow under TAMS. Main job would be cultivating in front of the one pass as well as some reseeding and stubble cultivation.

Have looked at some second hands but a "western" make secondhand that might be being changed because It's starting to give trouble are the same price and more vs a Polish make.

I have in my head, Tolmet, Namyslo, Mandam etc. Serrated discs.

Does anyone have any thoughts on crumblers for these? Most are sold with a cage roller on price only. Some also have a packer roller but you don't hear much and certainly nothing about a DD roller. Anyone seen one with the latter?.I'm not a fan of the cage roller.

probably a long shot but anyone seen one 3m trailed? The Tams reference costs area good bit higher for trailed gear.

Contemplating a disc harrow under TAMS. Main job would be cultivating in front of the one pass as well as some reseeding and stubble cultivation.

Have looked at some second hands but a "western" make secondhand that might be being changed because It's starting to give trouble are the same price and more vs a Polish make.

I have in my head, Tolmet, Namyslo, Mandam etc. Serrated discs.

Does anyone have any thoughts on crumblers for these? Most are sold with a cage roller on price only. Some also have a packer roller but you don't hear much and certainly nothing about a DD roller. Anyone seen one with the latter?.I'm not a fan of the cage roller.

probably a long shot but anyone seen one 3m trailed? The Tams reference costs area good bit higher for trailed gear.
Cage on the tolmet here and it’s grand but do kinda wish we’d gone for a packer or something a bit more. Another one got locally with the packer and I think he did get a little bit of bother with the scrapers, but can’t remember if it was just he didn’t like the look of them. I know he pulled the packer off someway but that was not the fault of the machine.

They have changed the way the folding discs are pinned down on the newer one and it’s a better design, easier to get at the pin anyway.

We’ve 2 discs come off on us now but it’s getting a bit of hardship really, 17/18kmh on stubbles and finding big stones isn’t gona be easy on any machine so I’m not sure I’d fault it tbh

A DD packer is worth it because it leaves the ground weatherproof. Go with oil immersed replaceable hubs because you can replace them in years to come with the dugga gun in a few minutes. . Rotate the discs a couple of times in the idle season and they will last forever .

Any suggestions for a disc Harrow for grassland. Would only be doing 10 acres a year id say plus the odd bit for neighbours…I know you will say hire someone in but I just like to do it myself. Have a jd 6110 to pull it. So about 80hp. But don’t want anything too big. I know nothing about them. Any suggestions?….I was looking at something like this IMG_5610.png

Any suggestions for a disc Harrow for grassland. Would only be doing 10 acres a year id say plus the odd bit for neighbours…I know you will say hire someone in but I just like to do it myself. Have a jd 6110 to pull it. So about 80hp. But don’t want anything too big. I know nothing about them. Any suggestions?….I was looking at something like this View attachment 133776
That looks like a Pierce, @humungus or @nashmach may be able to confirm, I wouldn't worry about it being from a make that is no longer supported by the manufacturer as there's very little in it. Anything that does go wrong should be able to be worked around somehow.
You wouldn't want to be giving too big of money for something like that as they are a little obsolete and must be getting on in years.
Being mounted would ease transport. My biggest fault with this type of disc harrow versus the individually mounted discs of newer machines is that your one pictured was inclined to ridge the field and leave it undeveloped. This would have been on ploughed ground, not sure how it would perform on unploughed lea.
I did in my youth use this type of disc harrow, albeit trailed to create a tilth on stubble fields to establish a fodder crop.

That looks like a Pierce, @humungus or @nashmach may be able to confirm, I wouldn't worry about it being from a make that is no longer supported by the manufacturer as there's very little in it. Anything that does go wrong should be able to be worked around somehow.
You wouldn't want to be giving too big of money for something like that as they are a little obsolete and must be getting on in years.
Being mounted would ease transport. My biggest fault with this type of disc harrow versus the individually mounted discs of newer machines is that your one pictured was inclined to ridge the field and leave it undeveloped. This would have been on ploughed ground, not sure how it would perform on unploughed lea.
I did in my youth use this type of disc harrow, albeit trailed to create a tilth on stubble fields to establish a fodder crop.
Thank you for the detail.

Unless you are going to leave the field sprayed off for several months and have the ground not hard when tilling that style if disc Harrow will be useless imo.
They were built for small tractors on ploughed ground.
You need weight to penetrate ground.
There are loads of polish built mounted discs that would do the job,in hard ground they aren't hard pulled as you aren't moving much soil.a 2.5 metre would be ideal rather than 3m for your tractor
An amazon catros is the business either but weight could be an issue.
A powerharrow might be a better utilisation of your tractor at slow speeds but you would have to spend a good bit for anything safe

Unless you are going to leave the field sprayed off for several months and have the ground not hard when tilling that style if disc Harrow will be useless imo.
There are loads of polish built mounted discs that would do the job,in hard ground they aren't hard pulled as you aren't moving much soil.a 2.5 metre would be ideal rather than 3m for your tractor
A powerharrow might be a better utilisation of your tractor at slow speeds but you would have to spend a good bit for anything safe
I agree with seedsower, that type of disc won’t be much good unless following a plough

Very good. Thank you for that. I didn’t realise them issues.

Back