DIY Calving Camera?

If anybody could offer some advice. Considering to put in lambing/calving cameras. Two PTZ would do it, calving will be done at one end of the shed and lambing is done down the other. No WiFi in yard and nearest house is 80 metre with trees in between so a modem in the shed is probay best with wireless cameras? Any recommendations on particular brands/companies or would you get amazon ones just as good for half the price?
If your putting a modem in the shed and going with ptz type camera I’d go to the little extra hassle of running a few Ethernet cables to them. They can lag a bit when working them on wifi and just as you’ve got it focused on an animal it’ll lag and keep moving away from where you want it

If your putting a modem in the shed and going with ptz type camera I’d go to the little extra hassle of running a few Ethernet cables to them. They can lag a bit when working them on wifi and just as you’ve got it focused on an animal it’ll lag and keep moving away from where you want it

Agreed massively, I had the cameras on wifi last yr, with a reasonable signal strength, but always laggy and couldn't run HD. For this year I picked up a cheap enough Amazon "outdoor shielded" 50m cable for around 30e for so and ran a direct line and its night and day better. (I say that in inverted comment's because it doesn't look that much stronger than a normal ethernet cable, but I have it across the shed rafters and it's worked perfect so far)

We have one in the shed, done with the 2 nano yokes that point to each other, poe is it?

Wired the lot up myself 3/4 years back, started to mess about lately, freezing on the screen, then yesterday it wouldn't go up to the top of it's field of vision.....pulled the plug out for a few mins & it's working perfectly again, gave it a clean as well as in with a straw chopper & it's like HD again.

Looking at this camera https://connectit.ie/products/reolink-trackmix-poe-4k-dual-lens-ptz-camera-with-motion-tracking along with a modem and SD card, and then probably get a large ethernet+power cable from cheapest site to connect them together rather than WiFi. Shouldn't be difficult to set up and should cost around 500. Is it easy to connect additional cameras in future or do you need the POE port? Also is a SD card adequate rather than getting the DVR (I think it is?) or would it run out of storage very quick? I presume it deletes older footage as it goes?

Looking at this camera https://connectit.ie/products/reolink-trackmix-poe-4k-dual-lens-ptz-camera-with-motion-tracking along with a modem and SD card, and then probably get a large ethernet+power cable from cheapest site to connect them together rather than WiFi. Shouldn't be difficult to set up and should cost around 500. Is it easy to connect additional cameras in future or do you need the POE port? Also is a SD card adequate rather than getting the DVR (I think it is?) or would it run out of storage very quick? I presume it deletes older footage as it goes?
The Poe is how the camera is powered, it basically puts the power into the Ethernet cable rather than you having to run a separate power line out to where the camera is.
With that 10 port Poe switch it should just be a matter of hooking in the next camera to there.

The sd card would be local storage only I’m not sure if you would be easily able to access the info on it remotely. I’d assume that camera can connect direct to a specific ap if it’s running an sd card so you wouldn’t necessarily need a dvr or nvr in this case, but the advantage to having the nvr is you’d be able to view it on a tv screen connected to the nvr

Our setup for anybody that’s interested
House end
IMG_1009.jpeg

You can just see its mate at the far end of the cattle shed, I’m standing right beside the pole in the first pic, the other one would be 120 feet away roughly
IMG_1010.jpeg

Camera is in the middle of a 60’ x 75’ shed this is a screenshot of what I see on the phone, middle pen but I can see all of them as good.
IMG_1008.png

They say you can read an ear tag, yes you can but in needs to be dead in the middle of the screen to zoom in on, as any movement of the camera will move it loads zoomed in
This is the back cow from above zoomed in , as it’s in the middle of the screen.
IMG_1007.png

Our setup for anybody that’s interested
House end
View attachment 133322
You can just see its mate at the far end of the cattle shed, I’m standing right beside the pole in the first pic, the other one would be 120 feet away roughly
View attachment 133323
Camera is in the middle of a 60’ x 75’ shed this is a screenshot of what I see on the phone, middle pen but I can see all of them as good.
View attachment 133324
They say you can read an ear tag, yes you can but in needs to be dead in the middle of the screen to zoom in on, as any movement of the camera will move it loads zoomed in
This is the back cow from above zoomed in , as it’s in the middle of the screen
@Jay Dee Really impressed with the cameras have you any link to it, had a cheap Amazon job for lambing lasted 3 years but not working any more so debating to get a cheap one again or something more high end

@Jay Dee Really impressed with the cameras have you any link to it, had a cheap Amazon job for lambing lasted 3 years but not working any more so debating to get a cheap one again or something more high end
I don't unfortunately, that was back about 15/16, had something similar saved for later in Amazon but it sat that long I deleted it, just a china special, will look next time I'm near it if you are in no rush.

I don't unfortunately, that was back about 15/16, had something similar saved for later in Amazon but it sat that long I deleted it, just a china special, will look next time I'm near it if you are in no rush.
Thank for that, s I'm in no panic looking to get something around start of march and set up before end of the month

As luck would have it the brother had the ladders round today, so I told him to leave them..

You do realize that you are sharing the QR code and UUID for that camera? Which is all someone needs to connect to it if it's connected to the internet?

You do realize that you are sharing the QR code and UUID for that camera? Which is all someone needs to connect to it if it's connected to the internet?
That’s the way it comes, during setup you change the password to your own, but I’ll delete the photo anyway, tho they would be fond looking at a cattle shed.

That’s the way it comes, during setup you change the password to your own, but I’ll delete the photo anyway, tho they would be fond looking at a cattle shed.
It's no harm, I know... what would they want to watch those feeds for.. but I remember seeing an article about a number of Irish farms being listed as being viewable on free webcam sites because of compromised cheap CCTV systems in the journal a few years ago, probably bust to keep as much details secret as possible, the UUID for example is unique to that camera.

Would this do to run two or three cameras?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-12-18-23-34-71_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-12-18-23-34-71_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_2024-03-12-18-23-23-66_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-12-18-23-23-66_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 36
Would this do to run two or three cameras?
The 6 hour maximum working time? Is that just on battery or what’s that about? Would be a bit on the short side for overnight cameras.

Also is that wifi only? Or is there Ethernet ports? If you want to run a ptz type camera I’d recommend being able to wire it through Ethernet unless you can get the mifi device close to it to reduce the lag you will get over wifi when moving the camera around

Can anyone recommend a router and Sim? Is it hard set them up?
Search 4g routers or talk to a company called rural wifi a bit dearer but they are good at helping you get setup. They can supply a sim or you can go with eir, Vodafone or three

Can anyone recommend a router and Sim? Is it hard set them up?
I bought an unlocked dongle from amazon

I use an ordinary prepaid sim from 3. It costs 20 euro a month. It has a download/upload speed of about 1mbps and it works the camera perfectly. I keep it in a waterproof box along with the camera plug. Never had any issue with it. Really easy to set up. Just charge it, pop in the sim, turn it on and connect up your camera through the phone app.

Back