DIY Calving Camera?

Plenty of advise earlier in this thread. I use engenius ens500 ac but somebody recommended cpe510 much better price

I’ve a wav link and can’t get it to work,it will tether to my phone and works fine but connected to my network won’t.🤔

I don't have any experience with these but generally look through reviews when looking to purchase.

The tplink cpe510 have mixed reviews in terms of reliability:

I recommend Ubiquiti, much more help and better tutorials available online. I had engenius and could not get them to work properly.

Dont buy units which are right at their limit, I think they quote 300m but in reality for real conditions are only good for 150m, I rang some company in the UK last set I bought and thats the impression I got.

Last ones I bought I got them here

However if you google I bet you will get them at a better price

I recommend Ubiquiti, much more help and better tutorials available online. I had engenius and could not get them to work properly.

Dont buy units which are right at their limit, I think they quote 300m but in reality for real conditions are only good for 150m, I rang some company in the UK last set I bought and thats the impression I got.

Last ones I bought I got them here

However if you google I bet you will get them at a better price
Same here,my Ubiquiti have been spot on,bought engenius years ago (still use one) and never got the 2nd one to work.

Get my broadband over the air and it's all ubiquity long-range equipment the mob uses. Working over 6.1 miles.

Just wondering if anyone is running cheaper cameras outdoors? I hav Sricam cameras an done wit till Xmas again. Was thinking of settin one on pole outside to keep odd eye on yard. Also goin to set wireless bridge from house for internet. R they robust enough for outdoors?

Just wondering if anyone is running cheaper cameras outdoors? I hav Sricam cameras an done wit till Xmas again. Was thinking of settin one on pole outside to keep odd eye on yard. Also goin to set wireless bridge from house for internet. R they robust enough for outdoors?
I had one outdoors for a good while, a year maybe.
It's still working but it did get very stiff in the movement. Freed it out and it seems ok again now.
I'd be inclined to try cover it or at least shelter it.
And also write the code off it down somewhere. The sticker washed off mine I was lucky to figure out the number of it.

Have two cameras in one shed working off the internet, one cheap one and one good one, working off same internet, both connected by cable. The good one loads up straight away, the cheap one takes maybe 10-15 seconds. Is there any spec you can look for when buying the camera to reduce the boot up lag? Just for future reference.

Have two cameras in one shed working off the internet, one cheap one and one good one, working off same internet, both connected by cable. The good one loads up straight away, the cheap one takes maybe 10-15 seconds. Is there any spec you can look for when buying the camera to reduce the boot up lag? Just for future reference.
I presume you mean connection lag as in time for app to connect as opposed to waiting fo camera to boot after being powered on?

Why not just buy more like your more expensive model? There's probably no spec to look for if using P2P (cloud based cameras) you are at the mercy of the connection to their datacenters which are likely on the other side of the planet for the cheaper brands.

On the other hand if you are willing to do a bit more of the configuration cameras that you can connect to directly without using a cloud service will give you the quickest connection and usually advertise RTSP or ONVIF. But to use them remotely you will need to either open ports on your router, setup a VPN or other tunnel like Cloudflare. Many cameras have the facility to be configured this way and/or with a cloud service.

Connection directly to cameras can be more reliable as well as faster as you have less links in the chain as well as having more control over your own security.

I am being lazy and don’t want to read the last nine pages. So, any recommendations for a SIM card connected camera. Promised herself I would put in a camera to check on the mares when foaling and one is due in a couple of weeks so I need to get it sorted sharpish.

I am being lazy and don’t want to read the last nine pages. So, any recommendations for a SIM card connected camera. Promised herself I would put in a camera to check on the mares when foaling and one is due in a couple of weeks so I need to get it sorted sharpish.
Reolink have one that you just pop the sim card into. Check the upload speed with app on your phone in the spot you plan to place the camera in to check you have a decent signal. Alternatively a tp link router for 100e and any 4/5mp camera for 50-80 will do the job too. Amazon will have decent ones.

Reolink have one that you just pop the sim card into. Check the upload speed with app on your phone in the spot you plan to place the camera in to check you have a decent signal. Alternatively a tp link router for 100e and any 4/5mp camera for 50-80 will do the job too. Amazon will have decent ones.
If I got one of the routers in the link below would it be enough to get the wifi to reach the shed or do you mean get a router with a SIM slot and put it near the camera?

Deal: TP-Link Next-Gen Wi-Fi 6 AX1800 Mbps Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Router, OneMesh™ Supported, Dual-Core CPU, Ideal for Gaming Xbox/PS4/Steam, Plug and Play (Archer AX23) https://amzn.eu/d/hliOTW0

Thanks for the help

If I got one of the routers in the link below would it be enough to get the wifi to reach the shed or do you mean get a router with a SIM slot and put it near the camera?

Deal: TP-Link Next-Gen Wi-Fi 6 AX1800 Mbps Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Router, OneMesh™ Supported, Dual-Core CPU, Ideal for Gaming Xbox/PS4/Steam, Plug and Play (Archer AX23) https://amzn.eu/d/hliOTW0

Thanks for the help
I have a router in shed. All depends on how far away shed is. You might be able to use small antennas to send signal but that’s above my pay grade.

@muckymanor are you still using the sricam cameras? I have a few, I have one that I can't get to connect. Tried wifi and Lan cable.
Maybe it's just done but said id ask incase I'm missing anything.

I did try a reset.
Not to worry.
Why did you move away from sricam?
What do you use now is it the iCsee ones?
I've a couple of them aswell.
I found the sricam a bit complicated to set up and had to reset it every few months.

Using icsee now for the last 4 or 5 years. Much more user friendly and only ever had to set it up once.

@muckymanor are you still using the sricam cameras? I have a few, I have one that I can't get to connect. Tried wifi and Lan cable.
Maybe it's just done but said id ask incase I'm missing anything.
Do you mean its not showing up in the app to view/add the camera or you're getting no picture?

Do you mean its not showing up in the app to view/add the camera or you're getting no picture?
It's been taken down a while and not connected. I've tried a few times to setup again from reset. Add camera and the rigmarole that follows. It is unsuccessful in connecting to wifi everytime. I often had bother in connecting them to wifi sometimes they work other times takes several gos.
I've connected a lan cable directly a few times and that sorted it but this one won't connect that way either.
I'm guessing it might be scrap now but said id ask.

It's been taken down a while and not connected. I've tried a few times to setup again from reset. Add camera and the rigmarole that follows. It is unsuccessful in connecting to wifi everytime. I often had bother in connecting them to wifi sometimes they work other times takes several gos.
I've connected a lan cable directly a few times and that sorted it but this one won't connect that way either.
I'm guessing it might be scrap now but said id ask.
Sometimes they can be hard to get into pairing mode, if the camera is on the app, connect your phone to the same wifi and check again, that will rule out not having any credit on the router.

Sometimes they can be hard to get into pairing mode, if the camera is on the app, connect your phone to the same wifi and check again, that will rule out not having any credit on the router.
No I have it in the house now trying to connect to the broadband so that's not the issue anyway unfortunately.

If anybody could offer some advice. Considering to put in lambing/calving cameras. Two PTZ would do it, calving will be done at one end of the shed and lambing is done down the other. No WiFi in yard and nearest house is 80 metre with trees in between so a modem in the shed is probay best with wireless cameras? Any recommendations on particular brands/companies or would you get amazon ones just as good for half the price?

Back